The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does gravity attract masses in space, or does it curve space between them?  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Jack Qwek

• View Profile
To me is both things. When you drop a stone in the water, are the waves caused by the stone, or are the waves circular because of the stone? It's both, the waves are caused by the stone and their shape is circular. In the same way, gravity attracts and bend everything, including light. But space itself is not straight nor bent, space has no shape at all. But these things are so obvious that there is no need to quote Einstein, even Newton was aware of this.

A warm welcome to the forum if you have not already been welcomed by some other member!

Space is said to be like a fabric that can bend twist and contort, under the influence of gravity.

Hi there, thank you for the welcome, very kind of you.

Offline Jack Qwek

• View Profile
But space itself is not straight nor bent, space has no shape at all. But these things are so obvious that there is no need to quote Einstein, even Newton was aware of this.
Sadly, what is obvious to one person is not to others. There is a lot of literature on the shape of space and applications that rely on this knowledge.

Yes, I was suggesting that the shape is given by something else, mass, gravity, etc. Otherwise space has no shape. Like in the example of the stone in the water, the waves have circular shapes, but we would never say that the water is bent.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Jack Qwek
Yes, I was suggesting that the shape is given by something else, mass, gravity, etc. Otherwise space has no shape. Like in the example of the stone in the water, the waves have circular shapes, but we would never say that the water is bent.
Terms like "shape", "fabric" and "curvature" are all terms which are defined in analogy to physical objects and geometric shapes. When physicists say that space is curved they're referring to the distance relationships between points in space.

Offline Jack Qwek

• View Profile
Terms like "shape", "fabric" and "curvature" are all terms which are defined in analogy to physical objects and geometric shapes. When physicists say that space is curved they're referring to the distance relationships between points in space.

Yes, and in absence of matter, the relationship between points in space is absent.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile

Can you repost that capitalized and in red Pete. It would make it so much easier if people understood this.

Offline AndroidNeox

• View Profile
Be honest... Do you just search quora for topics to post? Lol

There was a day awhile back that I noticed at least 3 of Alan's topics were straight copy pastes from quora. I don't visit quora enough to know for sure but if I noticed that many the actual number must be significant. Other question and answer sites could also be providing material.

I often post the same question on other sites because I almost never get an answer, here.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length