The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does darkness enter my eyes so I can ''see'' it?  (Read 5135 times)

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How does darkness enter my eyes so I can ''see'' it?
« Reply #75 on: 06/07/2016 06:19:08 »
I can measure darkness in it exact location, which part of that simple physics does people not comprehend?
Look, you are lying, either to us or to yourself. You are not "measuring" anything.

I am not seeing the darkness in my head, I am seeing the darkness in its exact geometrical position,
Then you are a truly unique individual different from every human being in the history of human beings.

I am lying really, how tall are you?

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 06/07/2016 06:28:24 »
I think I will just give up,
I don't think any of us want you to give up, at least I don't.

If I can be quite honest Mr.Box, I think I know what your problems are. You once told me that your desire was to make your children proud of your accomplishments. And I told you at the time that I considered such a goal very admirable. And I'm on your side and have wished you much success regarding that noble aspiration of yours.

But you're not going to have much success in reaching that goal by trying to shoot down every well known theory created by minds much greater than any one here at TNS. To qualify that remark, we have a splendid group of excellent individuals here and a few are extraordinarily gifted and very intelligent. Nevertheless, are any of us on par with the likes of Newton, Einstein, or Galileo? And I'm not saying that possibility is totally remote, only that is may be highly unlikely.

You're not going to acquire a position of great stature by trying to shoot done accepted theory without extraordinary evidence. And to say this as politely as I know how, we have not seen such evidence coming from you. You would have much more success if you would start by building upon accepted theory and adding something remarkable to those ideas or possibly subtracting something without abandoning the basis for the theory all together.

Great minds have built a remarkably sound scientific structure for us over the last century and you're in for a rude awakening if you think you're going to have much success tearing it down with a totally new fabrication that only exists within your imagination.

Nevertheless Mr. Box, I do wish you success. And especially for those children of yours. But please take this simple advise. First become very familiar with current thinking and understand the evidence for those scientific positions. Maybe someday you'll stumble on to something new and those children will be able to read about your discovery in a scientific journal.

Good luck............................Ethos

I could say the same of science, science provides little real evidence.

To me science seems to totally overlook the objective unbiased visual of what we see and the observation of what we see.

To say I do not see my hand and the sun at the exact same time in the same time frame would be an out and out lie.   I have give many models and explanation to show this.   A person can not agree we see ''gin-clear'' then argue the space is full of little tiny ''dots'' that we do not observe without having some solid proof such as an observation, otherwise it is no more than pure speculation.

My rocket question in the main forum shows I am correct.

If a Rocket travelled to the sun at c , it would take 8 minutes to arrive from Earth.  As you on Earth recorded the rocket ships time to get there, it also took 8 minute. so this shows you that you see the rocket ship in real time and not fake time.

departure 12am

arrival 12:08pm

seen to arrive 12:08pm

NOT 12:16pm

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 06/07/2016 09:39:22 »
No it doesn't.

If a Rocket travelled to the sun at c , it would take 8 minutes to arrive from Earth.  As you on Earth recorded the rocket ships time to get there, it also took 8 minute. so this shows you that you see the rocket ship in real time and not fake time.

departure 12am

If the rocket arrives at the sun at 1208 it still takes the light of that arrival 8 mins to travel back to earth. So we see the arrival of the rocket at 1216. When we see that event it is also 1216 on the sun. We are not seeing back into the past, only what happened in the past.

This thread and the one in main forum don't deserve title of new theory, they are just confusions over basic timekeeping. A view is forming that you are just trolling with these questions as it is unlikely anyone of reasonable intelligence could get so confused.

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 06/07/2016 09:45:44 »
No it doesn't.

departure 12am

If the rocket arrives at the sun at 1208 it still takes the light of that arrival 8 mins to travel back to earth. So we see the arrival of the rocket at 1216. When we see that event it is also 1216 on the sun. We are not seeing back into the past, only what happened in the past.

This thread and the one in main forum don't deserve title of new theory, they are just confusions over basic timekeeping. A view is forming that you are just trolling with these questions as it is unlikely anyone of reasonable intelligence could get so confused.

Colin!  you are clearly not looking at this correctly, let me run you through it really slow and you should understand.

Just please answer these with a straight forward answer.

You are standing on a train platform at 8am (B), the train you are waiting for has a 15 minute journey from A to B  at a constant speed, it leaves the station at precisely 7.45am to make its way to your station, what time do you see the train arrive?

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 06/07/2016 12:19:52 »
Staring at the bedroom window at night in an illuminated room I can ''see'' a distance between my eyes and window that is illuminated and not dark but rather ''gin-clear''.

Outside of my window I can ''see'' darkness, the darkness does not reflect light or emit light but I ''see'' the image of darkness in my brain that is a distance away from me, so how does darkness enter my eyes so I can ''see'' the darkness?

You see what your eyes detect. Photons entering your eyes are picked up by your visual cells. The stars are picked up. the moon is picked up. These signals are sent to your brain that converts the images to your mind. Areas if darkness produce no signals. Thus you brain gets no signals. The brain then converts all these signals into a picture. It is quite amazing and quite complex how we see. Sometimes the brain will add things. At a distance a brick wall missing one brick may show up as a perfect brick wall without the missing brick. thus what our eyes pick up is often modified by our brains. And of course if we pick up nothing then everything is dark.

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 06/07/2016 13:11:49 »
Staring at the bedroom window at night in an illuminated room I can ''see'' a distance between my eyes and window that is illuminated and not dark but rather ''gin-clear''.

Outside of my window I can ''see'' darkness, the darkness does not reflect light or emit light but I ''see'' the image of darkness in my brain that is a distance away from me, so how does darkness enter my eyes so I can ''see'' the darkness?

You see what your eyes detect. Photons entering your eyes are picked up by your visual cells. The stars are picked up. the moon is picked up. These signals are sent to your brain that converts the images to your mind. Areas if darkness produce no signals. Thus you brain gets no signals. The brain then converts all these signals into a picture. It is quite amazing and quite complex how we see. Sometimes the brain will add things. At a distance a brick wall missing one brick may show up as a perfect brick wall without the missing brick. thus what our eyes pick up is often modified by our brains. And of course if we pick up nothing then everything is dark.

yeah yeah ,. just like it says on wiki . 

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 06/07/2016 13:34:54 »

We've all tried reasoning with you Mr. Box, and you have chosen to ignore our investment in this process. I had you on my ignore list once before but thought you might be worth another try. Sadly, you are proving to be unworthy of the trust so once again, Welcome to my ignore list.

I suggest everyone else that wishes to spend their time and conversation engaged in a worthy exchange should do the same.

Good by and good luck Mr. Box..................Ethos

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 06/07/2016 14:00:45 »

We've all tried reasoning with you Mr. Box, and you have chosen to ignore our investment in this process. I had you on my ignore list once before but thought you might be worth another try. Sadly, you are proving to be unworthy of the trust so once again, Welcome to my ignore list.

I suggest everyone else that wishes to spend their time and conversation engaged in a worthy exchange should do the same.

Good by and good luck Mr. Box..................Ethos

I wondered when your true colours were going to show, I already pre-warned this forum that the ''trolls'' may find me and start to ''attack'' me.  You are now trying to influence people not to discuss with me hoping I go away when the silent treatment starts.

If you or anybody wishes to ''preach'' wiki then do it in the appropriate section, this section says new theories at the top, thus not requiring present information. Not even trying to help to develop the new theory in any sense, nothing but trying to force your subjective on an individual.

I will not allow myself to be brainwashed and become a stereotypical ''bot'' repeating present information.

You quite clearly along with many others on here fail to think for yourselves with any sort of open mind, then as soon the person will not accept your attempt of forced discipline, spitting dummies out and saying , I am not speaking to you no more.  Quite childish if I do say so myself.

Your choice though , there will always be somebody to speak to somewhere.

Offline PhysBang

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 06/07/2016 14:19:17 »
I will not allow myself to be brainwashed and become a stereotypical ''bot'' repeating present information.
Your choice though , there will always be somebody to speak to somewhere.
If you think that learning the basics of science is "brainwashing", then perhaps you should be speaking to a therapist? I don't mean to offend you, but your statement seems a little over-the-top to be considered reasonable.

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 06/07/2016 14:36:36 »
I can measure darkness in it exact location, which part of that simple physics does people not comprehend?
Look, you are lying, either to us or to yourself. You are not "measuring" anything.

I am not seeing the darkness in my head, I am seeing the darkness in its exact geometrical position,
Then you are a truly unique individual different from every human being in the history of human beings.

Like normal when the questions get tricky rather than dealing with them the thread is removed like the one just from main that as been locked.

I am measuring space, why do you insist I am not measuring anything, the space is provable to be there even with our eyes shut, a 1yrd stick is a 1yrd stick and if it is one stick to my window then there is 1yrd to my window. Outside my window it is not light, where it is not light is 1yrd away from me, the space 1yrd away from me is not inside my head, the space exists.  This space is dark, I can objectively see the dark space that is one yrd away from me, I can objectively measure that space, I am beginning to think you are all quite mad .

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 06/07/2016 15:41:44 »
Like normal when the questions get tricky rather than dealing with them the thread is removed like the one just from main that as been locked.
No, it's when they get to the point of being ridiculous.
Behave like a troll, get treated like a troll.

The following users thanked this post: Ethos_, Alex Siqueira

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 06/07/2016 17:25:05 »
No, it's when they get to the point of being ridiculous.
Behave like a troll, get treated like a troll.
I just took notice of your signature Colin, and how appropriate to the moment it rings!

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 06/07/2016 21:21:20 »
I think I will just give up,
I spent some honest effort in trying to talk you out of abandoning your quest for knowledge Mr. Box. Nevertheless, if you continue to reject everything every member offers, and you remain convinced that only you have the answers wrapped up in your personal imagination, then by all means "give up". You may as well, you'll get nowhere with your present attitude and conduct.

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 07/07/2016 16:40:52 »
if you continue to reject everything every member offers,

The point most members seem to miss is I already know most of my subject matter in accordance with present information, Google , Wiki and countless forum time.  It is not my inability to talk about something new without resorting to just quoting present information.

None of yourselves seem to have the ability to discuss new material, you all fall back to quoting present facts and not once considering or trying to think about the new idea.

Darkness is the absence of light, we do not see unless Photons enter our eye and then the information you ''see'' happened a ''while'' ago.

White light is a mixture of frequencies, we only see though, frequencies between 400nm-700nm,  this is known as spectral content and seen by the brain as the visual perception of colour.

So on and so on, electromagnetic wave, dual slit experiments, prisms, rainbows, lions and tigers and bears , oh my.

You wonder why I get attitude when people do not know how to discuss something. I rarely ask to discuss present information, I ask questions that I think of about present information.

I will always say in life , I know nothing and will always know nothing, that is because my mind is truly open.

Can any of you on here say you know nothing?

No you can't, because you do not have the ability to just empty your minds of what you think you know and discuss the idea being put forward in an objective manner, it is subjective to say to somebody they are wrong according to their own beliefs, without actually discussing the content posted by the opp and looking at it in an objective manner.

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 07/07/2016 17:01:33 »
Maybe Thebox means that if you switch off the source of light in a vast space, darkness comes rushing at you at the speed of light or maybe you are immediately emerged in darkness?????????????????????

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 07/07/2016 17:08:40 »
Maybe Thebox means that if you switch off the source of light in a vast space, darkness comes rushing at you at the speed of light or maybe you are immediately emerged in darkness?????????????????????

If you removed the Sun and all the other stars etc, you would be submerged in darkness.   

added- It is only dark space that allows electromagnetic radiation to permeate. Matter is ''saturated'' in radiation.  The laws of thermodynamics allows matter to retain equilibrium, however if the ''saturation'' is increased, work is done within the matter.

« Last Edit: 07/07/2016 17:25:26 by Thebox »

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 08/07/2016 18:16:41 »
I am measuring space, why do you insist I am not measuring anything, the space is provable to be there even with our eyes shut, a 1yrd stick is a 1yrd stick and if it is one stick to my window then there is 1yrd to my window. Outside my window it is not light, where it is not light is 1yrd away from me, the space 1yrd away from me is not inside my head, the space exists.  This space is dark, I can objectively see the dark space that is one yrd away from me, I can objectively measure that space, I am beginning to think you are all quite mad .

In an effort to discuss the questions rationally, I will respond to this part.

If I understand the setup correctly, TheBox is standing in a room that is illuminated by a light, and there is a transparent window to the outside, where it is night, therefore appearing dark to TheBox.

I think this example does not show that there is "Darkness" that exists beyond the window. There just isn't anything there to reflect the light back into TheBox's eye. Imagine for a moment that a visitor, such as myself, were to approach the window from outside. I would see the window as substantially lighter than the surrounding walls (because light from the bulb is coming out, and little light is reflecting off the outer walls of TheBox's house). As I get close to the window, I will also begin to reflect light back through the window such that TheBox will see me. If I stand just outside the window, I will appear almost exactly as bright as if I were just inside the window.

So, TheBox, where has the "Darkness" gone? Has it moved? Note that there is no extra source of light added to my scenario, just another person, who can also observe and be observed...

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 08/07/2016 18:36:02 »
Darkness is the absence of light Period!

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 08/07/2016 18:51:10 »
Darkness is the absence of light Period!

Agreed.

However, TheBox has made it apparent that simply defining what is being discussed is not what (s)he is after. I am simply trying to demonstrate why the scientific community has embraced this definition, using examples that were proposed within the thread...

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 09/07/2016 01:23:44 »
Chiral - The perceived darkness doesn't go anywhere, it remains around the face in the window, it is only the face that reflects the light and is within the proximity of the magnitude of light. The perceived darkness is also gin clear and the perceived darkness outside the window does not really exist.  The space outside of your window is no different to the space inside the box and is clear.

Absolute darkness is when our eyes are shut and we are sleeping, another absolute darkness would be before the big bang and a point of imagination that nothing existed ,  in considering nothing we imagine a dark blank picture,  in imagination we can imagine this picture, the absolute darkness, to be infinite in size or infinitesimally small and the result in thought is always a dark picture without dimensions. (try it)

Only when matter enters the frame of the dark picture does the space become a light picture. If you could stand on the sun and there was no other bodies in the universe, you would observe a small universe when you looked up and perceive it to be dark. I would hardly call darkness the absence of light when you are standing on  the suns surface.

« Last Edit: 09/07/2016 01:35:32 by Thebox »

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 09/07/2016 02:04:50 »
http://stupidstuff.org/main/nonsense.htm

The dilettante about another omphalos is inexorably unseemly. Now and then, a somnambulist inside a haunch lazily tries to seduce an eagerly polite cup. Some cigar makes love to the piroshki. Toscanini and I took some coward inside a labyrinth (with an omphalos, the sublime starlet, a few starlets, and a greedily darling cup) to arrive at a state of intimacy where we can slyly avoid contact with our philosopher.    :-'( ::)

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 09/07/2016 02:21:23 »

DISCLAIMER

The Thebox makes me somewhat reticent to critique his ideas, because we just might be dealing with one of the most profound original thinkers in all of human history and because we do not or cannot understand what he/she is trying to convey we reject it as nonsense!

This is a serious comment by me!

Alan

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 09/07/2016 10:26:25 »
What Thebox is alluding to is that we detect photons which is a positive event. How then can we detect an absence which is not even a negative event since we would never detect it. Implying that the darkness must also be a positive event to trigger a recognition of it being dark. This is a subtle but profound point when examined.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 09/07/2016 10:41:16 »
Thebox please don't take my remarks as an encouragement. They are not.

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 09/07/2016 11:09:39 »
Thebox please don't take my remarks as an encouragement. They are not.

Lol, I don't need encouragement. 

What do you mean by positive and negative event?  Sorry I did not really understand your other post.

added- I understood it now , and yes exactly that, that is why I suggested in ''jester'' the Darkton  has the positive event.

« Last Edit: 09/07/2016 11:17:18 by Thebox »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #99 on: 09/07/2016 11:09:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length