The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Aftermath of a pandemic?  (Read 411 times)

Offline Nora Margrethe Forsberg Nilsen

• First timers
    • View Profile
Aftermath of a pandemic?
« on: 04/07/2016 12:47:21 »
Here is the scenario: After an worldwide pandemic only 70 million People are left alive scattered across the world.

The question: How do you think they would adapt in the generations to come? What do you think the life of the different generations would look like, and how would the way of life either devolve or evolve?

Offline IAMREALITY

• View Profile
Re: Aftermath of a pandemic?
« Reply #1 on: 06/07/2016 16:30:56 »
Here is the scenario: After an worldwide pandemic only 70 million People are left alive scattered across the world.

The question: How do you think they would adapt in the generations to come? What do you think the life of the different generations would look like, and how would the way of life either devolve or evolve?

I have kind of a boring answer, but way I see it, that's still A LOT of people, which means there would still be A LOT of brilliant minds across all spectrums, so I would think not a whole lot would change overall in the long term, and if anything things could advance even more because there would be less poverty, less war, and more resources available for all.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/07/2016 14:15:42 »
Considering we are estimated at over 7.4 Billion now..70 million seems like so many people, but really, not many in the current scheme of things....I think, given the area of said spread population..it would be very subjective as to depending on where the remaining populus were scattered as well as the extent of their education as well as their coping skills and abililities to survive..that is depending on the reason for the demise of the population..It leaves to many questions..Were portions of the world destroyed...do we still have modern convieniences, power sources could prove very difficult for younger generations who may or may not have survival life skills...farming..and those skills that would require us to be able to start over.... I agree about a lot of bright minds still roaming a 70 million person population but just how much skill they had would really depend on how badly our society was left after the loss of the population..I think it would really be dependant on ones knowledge and ability to do basics by hand in some situations so you wold need to really give more information on what state the physical world was in..earth wise as well as industry and modern power sources etc.....
« Last Edit: 10/07/2016 18:37:21 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/07/2016 14:25:29 »
WHOOPS..!.I  missed the pandemic part of your post so basically a disease or sickness that kills off most of the human population of our planet....Does this effect any of the animal, or botanical life and or population,? I think something that deadly may leave many folks still ill or sufferring from disease....so we might assume not all of those people would be in top condition mentally giving the randomness of how many diseases could kill people but leave some living? What illnesses might we be assuming the remaining humans may be suffering from if hey live through? Do they have their mental capacity or ability to physically care for themselves and others.. could you give us a few detailed guidlines for the extent and or residual physical fallout from disease or what damages the existing humans might be suffering, so to speak? 
« Last Edit: 10/07/2016 17:45:02 by Karen W. »

Offline IAMREALITY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/07/2016 17:13:21 »
Karen, pretty sure you meant 7 billion not 74 billion correct?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/07/2016 17:34:38 »
Oh dear...Yes indeed your right it was 7.4 billion..I missed my decimal point! Thank you for catching that for me..I corrected it!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 10/07/2016 17:34:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums