The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Just GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....  (Read 464 times)

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Just GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....
« on: 06/07/2016 15:01:56 »
Needed to vent my frustration somewhere......

Offline IAMREALITY

• View Profile
Re: Just GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....
« Reply #1 on: 06/07/2016 16:13:16 »
Needed to vent my frustration somewhere......

8x2 = 16

Offline IAMREALITY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/07/2016 19:25:06 »
Mr box, I have your answer!!

I'm laying out in the sun, as I do during lunch, and tried thinking about your locked threads premise and why you weren't understanding.  But I tried to think of it through your eyes and think I finally understood what you are perceiving. And for a second I actually was fascinated and momentarily stumped, but then the answer came. 

First, I tried thinking from your point of view.  And believe what you were trying to say is that if we saw a rocket take off, we could watch it the whole way.  Photons would be bouncing off it the whole way.  So we would see a constant stream of them hitting our eyes. So if we watched that uninterrupted stream the whole way, then how could we not in fact see the ship arrive? For a second I actually understood what seemed to be the paradox, and didn't immediately know the answer.  But it came soon enough. 

First, let's table gr and time dilation and other stuff that would happen at light speed and just view it on its merits. Having that said, the answer is this:

Though yes,we would in fact be watching it the whole way, because the rocket was going an equal and opposite speed to the photon stream, we would actually be seeing the rocket at only half the speed it was actually going.  That's how we would perceive it.  So yes, we would see it the whole way! But it would appear to be flying at only half the speed of light.  So though we were watching it the whole time, and even though in reality it would arrive at 1208, because we were watching it in half speed when we finally watched it arrive, it would be 1216 our time. 

Yes, we saw it the whole way.  But to us it was flying half the speed it really was.  Please think about this, because it really is the right answer to your paradox and I'm replying graciously and with sincerity. 

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/07/2016 19:45:22 »
For the above we need to solve 1/2 = √(1 - v2/c2). Since the time interval will double while the distance traveled remains constant. This is left as an exercise for the reader.
« Last Edit: 06/07/2016 20:23:27 by jeffreyH »

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/07/2016 06:45:44 »
Mr box, I have your answer!!

I'm laying out in the sun, as I do during lunch, and tried thinking about your locked threads premise and why you weren't understanding.  But I tried to think of it through your eyes and think I finally understood what you are perceiving. And for a second I actually was fascinated and momentarily stumped, but then the answer came. 

First, I tried thinking from your point of view.  And believe what you were trying to say is that if we saw a rocket take off, we could watch it the whole way.  Photons would be bouncing off it the whole way.  So we would see a constant stream of them hitting our eyes. So if we watched that uninterrupted stream the whole way, then how could we not in fact see the ship arrive? For a second I actually understood what seemed to be the paradox, and didn't immediately know the answer.  But it came soon enough. 

First, let's table gr and time dilation and other stuff that would happen at light speed and just view it on its merits. Having that said, the answer is this:

Though yes,we would in fact be watching it the whole way, because the rocket was going an equal and opposite speed to the photon stream, we would actually be seeing the rocket at only half the speed it was actually going.  That's how we would perceive it.  So yes, we would see it the whole way! But it would appear to be flying at only half the speed of light.  So though we were watching it the whole time, and even though in reality it would arrive at 1208, because we were watching it in half speed when we finally watched it arrive, it would be 1216 our time. 

Yes, we saw it the whole way.  But to us it was flying half the speed it really was.  Please think about this, because it really is the right answer to your paradox and I'm replying graciously and with sincerity.

They should of not closed the thread, I now refuse to talk about it, but yes you ''do'' see the problem, I will leave you this with, the 'rod''' extends from your eye to the rocket. The rocket moves the 'rod'' expands.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/07/2016 14:32:41 »

If that were the question he was asking we wouldn't have locked the topic, but it was very basic issue:

A rocket ship leaves Earth at 12:am , to arrive at the Sun at 12:08pm,  how can we see the rocket ship as it were 8 minutes ago, because it would still be on Earth?

This topic could have been really interesting if he had allowed it to be. Along with your observation all sorts of optical effects occur eg curved ladder, ship and its 8min old image arriving back on earth almost simultaneously.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2016 14:42:41 by chiralSPO »

Offline Thebox

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/07/2016 16:53:45 »

If that were the question he was asking we wouldn't have locked the topic, but it was very basic issue:

A rocket ship leaves Earth at 12:am , to arrive at the Sun at 12:08pm,  how can we see the rocket ship as it were 8 minutes ago, because it would still be on Earth?

This topic could have been really interesting if he had allowed it to be. Along with your observation all sorts of optical effects occur eg curved ladder, ship and its 8min old image arriving back on earth almost simultaneously.

It is a one way conversation Colin, accept or be neglected, my views don't seem to count, If I do not accept your views I am ''out''. It is pointless, people complaining I post in their threads yet everyone seems to be anti-Box and posts in my threads telling me I am wrong. Even in new theories, nobody discusses the actual theory , the only intent seems to be trying to persuade me their ideas and present information is correct without even discussing the idea to see where it is flawed if flawed.

You consider that is was stupid and whatever because I mentioned explosions, however you did not even consider how true this point was. If I was not so stressed perhaps I may have wrote it better.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 07/07/2016 16:53:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums