The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: omega greater or less than 1?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Z theory

• First timers
    • View Profile
omega greater or less than 1?
« on: 18/02/2004 23:46:09 »
does anyone know the most recent findings on whether the amount of matter contained in the universe will be great enough for the big crunch?  (if there is not determined to be enough matter in the universe, dark matter included, for the universe to collapse onto itself, the universe will expand forever).

Offline qpan

• View Profile
Re: omega greater or less than 1?
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2004 18:56:47 »
I'm not quite sure- but i do recall something a few months back saying that the rate of expansion of the universe is accelerating (for an unknown reason- maybe antigravity?). Surely we must understand why it is expanding before we even begin to comprehend the final fate of the universe? As even if Omega is less than or greater than 1 (even though its most likely to be 1 in my opinion, such is the elegance of this universe), if there are forces we do not currently comprehend, then the value of omega is meaningless.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."
-Edgar Allan Poe

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/02/2004 02:08:37 »
As usual, there are competing ideas on the subject.  I just read an article today that discussed some new data that actually reinforces Einstein's cosmological constant (his greates blunder according to him).  I haven't had a chance to follow up on the data and the response.

I think it is entirely possible that omega might be exactly equal to one.  Maybe the universe started out with a certain amount of matter and energy, and that governs the laws of physics such that our definition of omega will always be exactly one. Just my layman's opinion.

----
John

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 22/02/2004 02:08:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums