The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What do you call the colored light that comes out of stained glass?  (Read 576 times)

Offline One More Question

• First timers
    • View Profile
It seems like there should be a term for either the colored light as it appears "in the air," or for the colored "shadow" that is cast on the ground or other surfaces. I figure, if there's a word for this:

moonglade ‎(plural moon glades): The bright reflection of moonlight on a body of water

there just HAS to be a word for the colored light that is created when light passes through a colored transparent or translucent substance.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I've never come across one. I suspect the term coloured light is so descriptive that there is little need for another term.
Care to invent one??

PS you probably are aware that the light isn't coloured in the way of having colour added to it by the stained glass, it's just that all the other colours (frquencies) are filtered out of the white light.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Filtered light?

• First timers
    • View Profile
I've never come across one. I suspect the term coloured light is so descriptive that there is little need for another term.
Care to invent one??

PS you probably are aware that the light isn't coloured in the way of having colour added to it by the stained glass, it's just that all the other colours (frquencies) are filtered out of the white light.

Colored light can be from a variety of sources; what you get when light comes through a stained glass window is something special, in the same way that moonlight reflecting off of water is different than light from other sources reflecting from other sorts of objects. Special circumstances can lead to special names from a physics standpoint, too:

In optics, a caustic or caustic network is the envelope of light rays reflected or refracted by a curved surface or object, or the projection of that envelope of rays on another surface.

It's reflected or refracted light, but not just ANY reflected or refracted light; the beautiful patterns that we get from light passing through the surface of water gets a special name. I was just wondering if the light passing through stained glass was also called something special.

PS Yes, I understand that the glass isn't actually adding color.  :-)

• First timers
    • View Profile
Filtered light?

You can certainly call it that, but that would be even less specific than just saying colored light; I'm hoping for a term that would refer only to the stained glass phenomenon.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The reason the caustic is of interest to physics is because the shape can be described mathematically, like a parabola or catenary.

The light from stained glass can be quite saturated and intense, but physically is no different from other filtered light.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums