The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Mispronounciation of wrods (and typing too !!)  (Read 3728 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Mispronounciation of wrods (and typing too !!)
« on: 08/03/2007 22:12:23 »
Dearest peeps who Know Lots of Stuff ,

Tonight I made a social faux pas..it was not serious but I was dealing with some clients and instead of saying ' Store ' and ' Shop ' I said " Shore " and " Stop ".

Why does this happen ?...what is it called ?.....what is brainy trying to tell me ?

Does it also happen when tou wype ?

Neil
xxxxx

paul.fr

« Reply #1 on: 08/03/2007 22:26:03 »
Hi Neil, i think it's called malapropism

Definition:
The usually unintentionally humorous misuse of a word, especially by confusion with one of similar sound; also, an example of such misuse.

« Last Edit: 08/03/2007 22:29:40 by paul.fr »

Offline AlphBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/03/2007 22:55:37 »
Here is a little one for ya's Spoonering along:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? 

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/03/2007 23:00:22 »
Hi Neil, i think it's called malapropism

Definition:
The usually unintentionally humorous misuse of a word, especially by confusion with one of similar sound; also, an example of such misuse.

Hi Paul, Thanks for this.

Malapropism eh ?....yep..that's it !!...sounds like an ideal candidate itself for being mispronounced !!

Now I wonder why the brain gets it's wires crossed like that ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/03/2007 23:01:32 »

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? 

Vrey Cool !...LOL  It Dnot Wrok so wlel wtih teh wrod "Cool "...

paul.fr

« Reply #5 on: 08/03/2007 23:10:21 »

Vrey Cool !...LOL  It Dnot Wrok so wlel wtih teh wrod "Cool "...

Or the word "the"   :o

another_someone

« Reply #6 on: 09/03/2007 05:55:30 »
One thing that occurs to me is to ask what is a mispronunciation.  I am not saying that such things don't exist, only that the range of what is acceptable pronunciation varies between languages, and even between dialects, so in some languages two words that sound totally different might sound the same in another language (hence all the problems with immigrants who cannot always identify differences in certain sounds in the native language, and so confuse different sounds that sound totally different to the natives).

That having been said, it may not be the issue in this case, because it is not so much a matter of mistaken pronunciation but rather one of transposed pronunciation, which (when applied to typing transposition errors), I have always put down to timing errors (i.e. your brain has decided it needs to implement two actions, but the order in which the commands for those actions is mistimed so that the actions are executed out of sequence).

Clearly, as you learn a language (particularly in childhood) your brain gets wired to accept a certain range of sounds as equivalent, and to draw boundaries that regard certain other sounds as distinct.  Clearly, these boundaries are rather elastic, and sometimes one may inadvertently stretch those boundaries a bit more than is appropriate for the language, even for a language one knows well.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/03/2007 05:02:59 »

That is so cool, I read that as if I was reading properly spelled words. no struggling for the most part so weird!

Neil In my job I deal with children, you know that but I find at the end of the day when most people are showing signs of grumpiness weariness in other forms that signal them they are done for the day, that what happened to you is what happens to me every evening for a while until my mind adjusts to the quiet of my home the computer. I start transposing words not on purpose but I get them backwords in the order of the way they should go. It is really weird! I do not understand it either.

That having been said, it may not be the issue in this case, because it is not so much a matter of mistaken pronunciation but rather one of transposed pronunciation, which (when applied to typing transposition errors), I have always put down to timing errors (i.e. your brain has decided it needs to implement two actions, but the order in which the commands for those actions is mistimed so that the actions are executed out of sequence).

I like that idea for explanation because that is what I am thinking when trying to explain it also. The brain is getting things out of sequence. Sometimes I'll be typing away and I talk as I type, LOL but I look down and see that my mouth has run well ahead of my too slow fingers and I must stop and check myself to catch up! LOL Sounds dumb but it's the truth I am a awful typist!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 10/03/2007 05:02:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums