The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: By what physics principle might this cooling device work?  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
Re: By what physics principle might this cooling device work?
« Reply #25 on: 03/08/2016 06:14:36 »
Insufficient attention has been paid to the other parameters of operations, such as:  Are other windows open, and if so, on what side of the building?  What is the direction of the prevailing wind with respect to the cooling device and the other windows if any? It would seem to me that if the cooling device is mounted so that the prevailing wind hits on it directly, and there is an open window on the other side of the building, then the air hitting the device will undergo decompression while exiting the narrow ends, and the fact that the open window is on the other side (and therefore is faced by departing rather than arriving air) will accentuate the effect by exposing room air to the suction effect of air passing the building, so that the air pressure inside the room will remain lower than that outside. Of course, this would not explain why cooling might occur if there is no wind. But if there is no wind, wind might be generated by the chimney effect if the structure of the building were appropriate, and that wind, drawing air in through the device, would have much the same effect.

Offline William McC

• View Profile
Re: By why physics principle does this cooling device work?
« Reply #26 on: 05/08/2016 05:37:25 »
Any pressure differential will cause a drop in temperature. The air pressurizes outside the building, when it does, it liberates heat. As it passes through the Venturi the pressure is reduced and it can absorb heat.  I think I would prefer a couple tons of refrigerant evaporating every hour, in an evaporator coil to remove the humidity as well, but this method is feasible to slightly lower the temperature of the outside air. An ordinary screen door does something similar. 

Sincerely,

William McCormick

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: By why physics principle does this cooling device work?
« Reply #26 on: 05/08/2016 05:37:25 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums