The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Did quantum fluctuations create the universe?  (Read 576 times)

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Did quantum fluctuations create the universe?
« on: 01/08/2016 08:34:53 »
If the universe was created by quantum fluctuations why don't we see universes created within our own? What exact conditions must exists for these special fluctuations to arise? Are we going down the wrong path and they are in fact non existent? What role does the Wheeler DeWitt equation play? Answers on a postcard to ...

Offline puppypower

• View Profile
Re: Did quantum fluctuations create the universe?
« Reply #1 on: 01/08/2016 11:29:28 »
Quantum fluctuations or fluctuations in energy distribution might be possible on a smaller scale. However, I can't see how the universal economy of  energy can fluctuate to where it is made available to form the singularity of the BB. Like you said, if this was plausible, we should be able to see the quantum or energy fluctuations forming smaller things like galaxies and stars or even pulses in empty space.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/08/2016 17:10:44 »
Quote from: jeffreyH
As I'm sure you know, this is an unknown at the present time and in all likelihood will always be an unknown. Many things in cosmology will probably be unknown and unknowable in fact.

If the universe was created by quantum fluctuations why don't we see universes created within our own? What exact conditions must exists for these special fluctuations to arise? Are we going down the wrong path and they are in fact non existent? What role does the Wheeler DeWitt equation play? Answers on a postcard to ...
I believe that there's a lot to this making the answer not as apparent as one might think. For example; you need to first ask what the probability of such an event occurring is. It might be that the chances of it happening are so small that it'd take a time so long as to be the time interval of 101000000 times the age of this universe. It could also be that if such a universe is created it becomes a child universe of this universe meaning that it becomes spatially disconnected from our universe.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2016 17:13:08 by PmbPhy »

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2016 20:36:31 »
As I'm sure you know, this is an unknown at the present time and in all likelihood will always be an unknown. Many things in cosmology will probably be unknown and unknowable in fact.

I believe that there's a lot to this making the answer not as apparent as one might think. For example; you need to first ask what the probability of such an event occurring is. It might be that the chances of it happening are so small that it'd take a time so long as to be the time interval of 101000000 times the age of this universe. It could also be that if such a universe is created it becomes a child universe of this universe meaning that it becomes spatially disconnected from our universe.

I agree with you totally. I still think it is a useful exercise to pose the questions. I often find myself wondering what may have been missed on our journey to understand the universe.

Online evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/08/2016 22:08:08 »
I understand that the equation describing the mass and size of a black hole (from the outside) is also the equation that describes our universe (from the inside).

So perhaps the quantum singularity at the heart of a black hole in our universe represents the quantum singularity at the start of other "daughter" universes, cut off from our own? (pure speculation, of course!)

At least, following the discovery of gravitational waves in the past year, we are now pretty sure that black holes actually exist - before that, there were some strong suggestions, but no actual observations...

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02/08/2016 08:37:54 »
Child universes are a bit of an issue for black holes. Using Kruskal Szekeres coordinates it is not possible for matter to travel from one universe to the other. At one side is a black hole leading to a white hole. In between is a singularity. I may be wrong. It is a while since I studied it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kruskal%E2%80%93Szekeres_coordinates

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 02/08/2016 08:37:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums