The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Headache Remedy?  (Read 13989 times)

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Headache Remedy?
« on: 20/02/2004 22:11:47 »
Last night I had a headache that felt like my head and eyeballs were on fire.  I've had several lately and didn't want to keep taking ibuprofen, so I wondered if an anti-inflammatory agent would help quench the fire.  I took shark cartilage at bed time and it helped some.  In the morning I took more and the headache went away.  Now I wonder if the cartilage worked or if it was coincidence.  Anyone else tried this, or willing to try?  

BTW you should NOT take shark cartilage if you are pregnant, nor should it be given to children.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: Headache Remedy?
« Reply #1 on: 20/02/2004 23:21:49 »
Donnah, the last thing I heard of shark cartilage being used for was cancer, and it didn't work.  I'll ask around and see what I can find out from my holistic friends.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #2 on: 21/02/2004 02:42:31 »
Have you tried baby seal bones?

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/02/2004 03:56:10 »
Oh my !!...how did it come by that baby seal bones can cure a headache ? I'm sure it's not very good for the seal !!....but Donnah, I hope you're feeling better now.

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/02/2004 02:12:08 »
cannabinoid! you're being mean to Donnah!  

( It made me laugh though! )

Sorry about your headaches Donnah.  I don't have a good remedy other than ibuprofen at about double strength.

----
John

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/02/2004 04:38:18 »
I'm not anti-animal-product or anything, I just happen to really like sharks and they're often fished for a few small parts (usually the fins) then the carcasses tossed back to sea.  I didn't even know the cartilage was useful in medical treatment...I can see using it for cancer treatment but using bits of such an extraordinary animal to treat mere headaches seems kind of...wasteful.

I'm not trying to be mean to Donnah, I was just being a smart-ass, as usual.  I bet you can guess from my handle on the forums what *I* do to get rid of a headache.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22/02/2004 18:54:35 »
Donnah,
ONe of my health food buddies tells me that shark cartilage is an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever, so I guess that's why it worked for your headache.  I also heard that migraine headaches are common with people who suffer with fibromyalgia.  Are you watching your blood sugar?  Hypoglycemia can trigger migraines.  Lay off the refined sugar, alcohol, and caffeine and see if that helps.  Don't know if you have them, but allergies can also trigger migraines.

Offline MissMontana

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22/02/2004 18:58:07 »
Donnah,

Do you know what shark cartilage contains? I try and avoid animal products but would be curious to find an alternative
« Last Edit: 22/02/2004 18:58:58 by MissMontana »

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23/02/2004 02:53:43 »
I sometimes find a few pressure points work, only sometimes though.

Try pressing on the palm and back of your hands between the middle and ring finger and you should feel a dull ache. I think there is another one on the top of the foot somewhere for headaches but can't remember where.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25/02/2004 01:57:09 »
Jay, I didn't know that so much of the shark was sometimes wasted.  I strongly disapprove of waste, especially when a critter's life is involved in the product.  How can I know that the shark cartilage I buy is from fishermen who use the whole carcass?  I'll still use shark cartilage, just like I eat meat, but make every effort to ensure that it is sensibly and humanely harvested.

Yes Nancy, I still watch my blood sugar, keep refined sugar and caffeine to a minimum, don't drink, and had both blood and scratch allergy tests.  The headaches I get now are mild compared to the screaming migraines I used to get.  I think these are due to menopause, though I've noticed a few triggers, like my temper (ooohhhhhmmmmmm).

MissMontana, the label says it's only shark cartilage inside the capsule.  Another natural anti-inflammatory is turmeric (a common spice).  Maybe I'll try that next time.

Tim, I use pressure points too, but did not know about the one you mentioned.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 25/02/2004 01:58:32 by Donnah »

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25/02/2004 02:46:12 »
Donnah:  Shark meat isn't eaten very often.  I can think of one time in my life I've ever heard of shark being eaten by someone I knew.  It's not a staple in any diet that I know of.  Most shark catches are actually incidental, with them being caught in tuna nets and such.  The fins and a few other parts are harvested with the rest being tossed back into the water for the other sharks to eat.  Maybe there are fishermen who are into holistic shark fishing, but I've never heard of it.  It's more profitable to fish for something like tuna and rape the occasional shark of its useful parts.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25/02/2004 03:04:42 »
Another effecitve anti-inflammatory is the whole diet.  There are a couple of books that discuss this in detail. I checked one out of the library a few months ago, and thought it made sense, but I never really pursued it.  You might do some searcing.  I don't remember the author's name, but I think the title was something like "The Inflammation Syndrome" or something like that.

Allergies are a real possibility, and they can be very specific to certain combinations of foods or substances.  Sometimes two or more things react together and give you problem while neither of them alone does any harm.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25/02/2004 05:41:03 »
Actually, shark meat from a number of shark varieties is commonly eaten. In most places it has another generic name (I can't think of them all, but hake comes to mind). Shark has a firm pink or white flesh with no bones. Check out how to prepare it here: http://www.mycustompak.com/healthNotes/Food_Guide/Shark.htm
It's commonly available in fish and chip shops in Australia because it's lack of bones make it very children friendly.

Offline nilmot

• The Riddler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25/02/2004 11:07:56 »
That'sinteresting to hear.
In our culture our eat shark's fin, a bit like the cartilage.

Tom

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26/02/2004 04:30:13 »
thanks for the tip, roberth....it's certainly not a common food here in the US.  You can't even get it at most specialty fish markets.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29/02/2004 01:45:31 »
I ate a shark steak in Italy and it was delicious.  Of course someone else cooked it.  

Tom, I tried shark fin soup out of a can.  Now it is entirely possible that I did something wrong in the prep, but yuck ptoey!!!

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29/02/2004 06:40:14 »
When the public schools here served fish for lunch, it was usually shark meat.  Maybe the lack of bones was why.  I just figured it was cheaper.

Offline starburst

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14/06/2004 07:37:30 »
you could try Tiger Balm ointment. i'm not sure if its available in your country...maybe u could try checking the chinese medical halls for it. it works for me. or else u could try brewing chrysanthenum flowers and add in some sugar into the water. boil until the water turns a murky yellow (or maybe a yellowish colour). the boiled flowers can be used again. my grandma boils it for me whenever i have a headache. dried chrysanthenum flowers can probably be found in chinese medical halls
« Last Edit: 17/06/2004 04:24:29 by starburst »

Offline valley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14/06/2004 16:36:29 »
You might be better off trying another NSAID (eg: Aspirin/paracetamol) rather than Ibuprofen if (as I guess!) you are female. There were some recent studies that found that Ibuprofen is ineffective for a large number of women (clinical trials don't have to do sex-based studies so they only just found this out!).

I get bad headaches myself and the only thing I've ever found to have any effect is Codeine. Don't know if you can get this in Canada though - I know you can't in the US.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14/06/2004 23:30:11 »
Codeine (pure, not with Tylenol) works but I dislike using medication since natural remedies are generally more compatible with the body.  Most of my health problems actually started with some sort of dental or medical treatment.

Will try the chrysanthemum water.  Thanks Starbust.

Offline psophist

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://reducedbackpain.us
« Reply #20 on: 01/10/2004 02:08:41 »
Donnah, I have had most awful migraines for over twenty, nay thirty years.  I then discovered essential oils.  The ones that worked for me were:  Valor - to align your spine (actually it relaxes) and Peppermint.  Within 2-3 months:  no more migraines, I do get a headache once in a while and these two oils work wonder almost immediately.

Good luck.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04/10/2004 04:31:03 »
Thanks psophist, I work with peppermint several times a week.  I'll try smelling it next time I get a headache.  Strong coffee seems to help. Nancy said an OB/Gyn doc told her that when you're premenstrual, you have fluid overload and it causes a mild cerebral edema which makes you irritable.  That would explain why coffee helps.

Offline tsunami

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29/06/2005 23:03:28 »
about shark meat/i live in california and you can get threasher shark at safeway .and it is very good.foiled w/italian dressing and some spices on the bbq.yummy:)

fishing and mountain biking own me.

Offline tsunami

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29/06/2005 23:09:30 »
and donnah this might sound weired but,i have bad headaches also.ive found that getting in the shower and running HOT water over my head makes it go away.i ussualy let it run over my headache for bout a half hour.or untill feels better.the hot water stings alil at first but the head ache goes away....for me.

fishing and mountain biking own me.

Offline inga

• View Profile
    • http://poison-free-home.info/
« Reply #24 on: 21/09/2005 00:38:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by tsunami

and donnah this might sound weired but,i have bad headaches also.ive found that getting in the shower and running HOT water over my head makes it go away.i ussualy let it run over my headache for bout a half hour.or untill feels better.the hot water stings alil at first but the head ache goes away....for me.

That reminds me that that works for me too for a not-so-bad headache.

For a really bad headache, try a hot foot bath as a natural cure:

Take a big plastic pail or other large enough container that reaches at least halfway up your calves.

Stick it under the faucet of your bath tub, and fill it full of water as hot as you can stand. Put a chair near the tub and wrap yourself in a warm house coat with a towel around your head. (The object is to sweat.) Put your feet in the container and keep adding hot water to raise to temperature. Your feet and lower legs will be very red. After about 5 minutes you can rinse your feet under a bit of cold water, then put them back in the hot water. Continue keeping the water as hot as possible, and keep this up for 15 - 20 minutes. You should start to sweat. Before you quit, rinse your feet in cold water again. Dry your feet, put on some warm socks and slippers, and go straight to bed. (Don't allow your feet or any part of you to get cold.)

This avoids taking pain medication and really gets rid of bad headaches. As a bonus, it may ward off an infection as well, as the body heat activates your immune system. (My husband's favorite "remedy" for a cold or flu is to take a hot bath -- feels boiling to me ;)-- and go straight to bed. Usually he breaks a sweat and is better the next day. But not all of us have his constitution. ;) )

May you be well and prosper!
Inga

Put a smile on someone's face with newbielink:http://smile-starters.com [nonactive]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 21/09/2005 00:38:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums