The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does a gyroscope work?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
Re: How does a gyroscope work?
« Reply #25 on: 23/08/2016 22:01:33 »
Early radars used cavity magnetrons to generate the transmitted pulse and as these are not partictually frequency stable devices the tuning of the receiver had to be adjusted to follow the transmitted frequency as well as to compensate for any Doppler shift
  All I remember is that Sperry used to pay $6,000 for each one 40 years ago. And we were not supposed to drop them. Yet if an engineer made a mistake and a $1,000,000 piece of equipment went up in smoke, it was just a sad but funny event. But we were not brain surgeons and equipment has no legal rights.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23/08/2016 22:02:03 »
   Evidently it appears that an object in motion has a gravitational field that must be spinning perpendicular to the motion. this would insure that the BB keeps on a straight path even though the physical BB may not spin. I will post that question soon.
You will need to post it in new theories

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23/08/2016 22:25:07 »
   Evidently it appears that an object in motion has a gravitational field that must be spinning perpendicular to the motion. this would insure that the BB keeps on a straight path even though the physical BB may not spin. I will post that question soon.
You will need to post it in new theories
  Yes I realize that and should have stated that this was a possibility out of many possibilities. I have no conclusions yet which I will post in new theories when I finish.  I just posted questions about the spin of the proton in the cyclotron. I want to know what you guys know in that regard. I do not know what happens in the lab.

Offline saspinski

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24/08/2016 00:09:58 »
Could an observer within the gyro mechanism know that he was spinning or would he think he was quite stable? This get us back to Einsteins elevator but now the elevator is spinning. And now my head is spinning as well.

Or, one spaceship detects another one nearby spinning. Its propulsion system is off. The living organisms in the spaceships know physics but have very poor sight, and donīt see the distant stars.
How to decide which of the ships are spinning? Or both of them?

If one of the ships can't measure any inertial (centrifugal) force, the conclusion is that the other one is spinning.

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25/08/2016 13:54:20 »
Could an observer within the gyro mechanism know that he was spinning or would he think he was quite stable? This get us back to Einsteins elevator but now the elevator is spinning. And now my head is spinning as well.

Or, one spaceship detects another one nearby spinning. Its propulsion system is off. The living organisms in the spaceships know physics but have very poor sight, and donīt see the distant stars.
How to decide which of the ships are spinning? Or both of them?

If one of the ships can't measure any inertial (centrifugal) force, the conclusion is that the other one is spinning.
  After I posted the question I realized that if we are spinning we get dizzy and can throw up. We are okay if we are moving at a constant linear velocity but we will get quite ill if we spin around. And the distant stars are a good indication.
   I built a wooden swing for exercise and tried it at night. Looking up at the stars and swinging made me a little dizzy. Yet I had no problem in the daytime when looking straight ahead.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #29 on: 25/08/2016 13:54:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums