The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does the out of Africa hypothesis of Human evolution stand up to scrutiny?  (Read 543 times)

Offline catguy00

• First timers
    • View Profile
 The Multiregional Hypothesis argues that our earliest hominid ancestors radiated out from Africa and Homo sapiens evolved from several different groups of Homo erectus in several places throughout the world. I remember reading about this theory way back when I was a student in the last 80's. Does it hold any scientific validity today or has the question finally been settled? That modern Homo sapiens emerged out of Africa.
« Last Edit: 26/08/2016 08:57:44 by chris »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Africa vs Multregional hypoethsis
« Reply #1 on: 26/08/2016 04:18:44 »
Africa is the best bet for the earliest. The origin in Africa is probably unbeatable. With the plethora of prehuman predecessors in it, Africa is the best guess in the ongoing nearly settled  discussions. 
« Last Edit: 26/08/2016 04:47:39 by JimBob »

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: catguy00
Homo sapiens evolved from several different groups of Homo erectus in several places throughout the world
I understand that the greatest degree of genetic diversity in human populations today is found in Africa.
That suggests that humans evolved in Africa, and most of them never left.

A lot more information here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiregional_origin_of_modern_humans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recent_African_origin_of_modern_humans

Offline catguy00

• First timers
    • View Profile
Quote from: catguy00
Homo sapiens evolved from several different groups of Homo erectus in several places throughout the world
I understand that the greatest degree of genetic diversity in human populations today is found in Africa.
That suggests that humans evolved in Africa, and most of them never left.

Excellent point.

From what I've read on the multiple regional hypothesis there is no longer any real argument coming from scientists that homo sapiens did not emerge out of Africa. The only counter argument they may now have is the interbreeding of homo sapiens and archaic humans outside the African continent. The actual impact that had on the evolution of those outside of Africa is something worth looking into.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length