The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the effect of disinfectant on HIV?  (Read 2434 times)

Offline HealthTeacher

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: What is the effect of disinfectant on HIV?
« Reply #25 on: 03/09/2016 13:55:32 »
Thanks for all of your responses! ( Most of them). I think he problem is more of an OCD problem than anything.  Her response to all the facts about the environmental deactivation was "it may be dead, but the virus is still there".  I think she believes that a disinfectant makes it disappear. (In her mind) OCD. 

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03/09/2016 14:02:36 »
OCD situation.
I don't want to divert this thread but just like to check that your student is receiving treatment. OCD is a very disruptive to a person's life but responds to treatment, the younger the person when diagnosed the better chance of improved life.

The following users thanked this post: HealthTeacher

Offline Atkhenaken

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04/09/2016 01:47:25 »
HIV is an internal problem caused by bad diet, alcohol, drugs, lack of vitamins, sleep deprivation etc. Using external cleaning agents will be ineffective. Note - There are no viruses involved in HIV.

So, would you be content to be injected with a suspension of HIV?
Or are you not that sure of yourself?

Injection is an unnatural process which doesn't occur in nature. Thus, injecting oneself with someone else's blood wouldn't be a good idea, especially if that person had a bad diet and their blood was dirty. Regardless, I would imagine that if you injected me with a small dose of virus, cancer or bacteria, that it would have no effect because my body system is clean and healthy and would destroy and eliminate any toxic substances very quickly.
« Last Edit: 04/09/2016 01:49:32 by Atkhenaken »

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04/09/2016 02:02:47 »
HIV is an internal problem caused by bad diet, alcohol, drugs, lack of vitamins, sleep deprivation etc. Using external cleaning agents will be ineffective. Note - There are no viruses involved in HIV.

So, would you be content to be injected with a suspension of HIV?
Or are you not that sure of yourself?

Injection is an unnatural process which doesn't occur in nature. Thus, injecting oneself with someone else's blood wouldn't be a good idea, especially if that person had a bad diet and their blood was dirty. Regardless, I would imagine that if you injected me with a small dose of virus, cancer or bacteria, that it would have no effect because my body system is clean and healthy and would destroy and eliminate any toxic substances very quickly.

You have all sorts of organisms living inside you. Otherwise you would likely be dead. Stop the nonsense.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04/09/2016 09:16:30 »
Injection is an unnatural process which doesn't occur in nature.
I wish someone would tell that to the bee that stung me last week.
Also a quiet word to wasps, mosquitos, a large number of parasitic wasps, nettles, etc

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04/09/2016 17:19:23 »

As has been pointed out, injection (including the injection of microorganisms like malaria) is natural,  denying it is silly.

Also this "injecting oneself with someone else's blood " which is usually referred to as a blood transfusion is often life saving.
So the idea that it "wouldn't be a good idea," is nonsense.

Viruses, cancers and bacteria are not in traditional use of the phrase "toxic substances" so the rest of your post makes little sense.

More details of Atkhenaken's  mistaken  idea that viruses are not involved in sickness can be found here
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=68196.0

Atkhenaken
if you want to rehash that suggestion can you do it in that thread rather than cluttering up this one please?
« Last Edit: 04/09/2016 17:57:08 by Bored chemist »

Online exothermic

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25/09/2016 14:00:53 »
pictured: HIV-1 virions

1. Where do viruses go to when they are not infecting people?

Disney World

2. There is no description of what part of the body this is.

Once again,  that would be due to the fact that the pictured virions are budding from a [cultured] lymphocyte.

Do you understand what a culture is? Pick up a textbook genius.

3. There are no distinguishing features which tell us that these are HIV viruses.

I already answered your question. Your lack of comprehension is quite annoying. The pictured HIV-1 virions are merely in the early stage of morphogenesis. They haven't penetrated the plasma membrane, exited the nucleus and obtained a lipid bilayer envelope; they're not even mature or infectious at this stage. Any "distinguishing features" like the cone-shaped core characteristics appear following maturation; see figure 1 for reference.

Additionally, since color-enhanced models and/or photos of viruses seem to encourage your baseless comments.... I also included a non color-enhanced photo of a virus which you can share with other conspiracy theorists; see figure 2.

figure 1.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK19460/figure/A289/?report=objectonly

figure 2.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK8174/figure/A2262/?report=objectonly

4. How can you distinguish or know that a virus is budding or not budding?

By observing the virions crossing the plasma membrane and obtaining a lipid envelope. That's what retroviruses do genius.

5. How can something that requires the internal mechanisms of a cell to grow; suddenly grow, outside of a cell environment?

Be less vague if you'd like an answer.

6. There are no exterior receptor nodules which are apparent in the text (digital) diagrams.

What are you talking about? They're premature virions.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #31 on: 25/09/2016 14:00:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length