The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What could have caused the UFO I observed?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline David Reichard

• View Profile
What could have caused the UFO I observed?
« on: 09/09/2016 02:31:20 »
Three of us saw an aerial phenomenon in southern Ohio about year 2000.At night,the outline was like a giant steel truss shape with actinically bright colored lights mounted along its length.It appeared to move slowly across the sky for perhaps 10 seconds at the apparent height of a tall bridge.The apparent size was at least the length of a locomotive and tender car.Something was reported moving north to south in the Ohio sky that night,according to an astronomer.Did anything occur that could resemble the object that we saw?

Offline jerrygg38

• View Profile
Re: What could have caused the UFO I observed?
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/2016 13:48:19 »
   Was it summer or winter? What time was it? Usually the UFO's move quite rapidly. Could have been a crop duster with lights working at night. Could have been a banner advertising something. Many possibilities! A swarm of lightning bugs.

The following users thanked this post: David Reichard

Offline David Reichard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/09/2016 00:30:42 »
Thanks for your suggestions.I am trying to picture what could have fooled us,Unlikely-fireflies,small aircraft;possibly?-small unlighted aircraft towing a banner or long light object with several very bright lights of different primary colors,a dirigible,a piece of broken-up satellite glowing from air friction.The outline appeared to be the shape of a construction crane's long tower.It was going very slow,or was much much larger and farther away.I believed it to be on a landing approach.I admit optical illusions can occur,and I am hoping someone knows of an actual event which could possibly appear that way.I mentioned something seen in Ohio skies about the same date.Modern recording devices are potentially going to enable us to capture evidence of these one-time occurrences.(Such as the meteorite explosion in Russia filmed by windshield video cams.)I remain truly puzzled.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/09/2016 11:05:19 »
... the outline was like a giant steel truss shape ... It appeared to move slowly across the sky ... at the apparent height of a tall bridge.

« Last Edit: 13/09/2016 11:13:46 by RD »

Offline David Reichard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/09/2016 06:46:56 »
Indeed,the top picture could be a likely explanation,especially if the supporting helicopter had no running lights,and there were warning lights mounted on the truss section being transported.I would much rather believe that rather than think it was an actual "UFO."

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/09/2016 12:45:35 »
Tower crane? Travelling suspension bridge? Exceptional load convoy crossing an unlit bridge or on a mountain road?  Airliner with the window blinds open?

If I were the captain of an alien spacecraft I'd adopt one of two strategies: either total blackout and radar stealth, or floodlights, headlights and anticollision strobes like a funfair. Waffling about at low level with a few fairy lights won't achieve penetration or safety.

Offline David Reichard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/09/2016 04:06:48 »
These suggestions are very helpful.At least as a teenager I found out the strange zooming noises above my head in the dark were diving nighthawk birds.Darkness creates mystery.I have one other event to ask about.As students in high school,2 of us saw diaphanous objects rising out of the snow in Cleveland on a frigid winter's night.They were brightly lit by a streetlight and slowly rose into the trees and disappeared.The temperature was 20 degr F or lower.They were the size of large insects.It appeared they had rapidly vibrating wings(illusion?).Any suggestions?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/09/2016 04:49:24 »
... 2 of us saw diaphanous objects rising out of the snow in Cleveland on a frigid winter's night.They were brightly lit by a streetlight and slowly rose into the trees and disappeared.The temperature was 20 degr F or lower.They were the size of large insects.It appeared they had rapidly vibrating wings(illusion?).Any suggestions?

Steam rising from a drain ?

Creating "smoke rings", [toroidal vortexes] ...

https://youtu.be/aXt2sp5ZEm0?t=50s
« Last Edit: 15/09/2016 04:58:03 by RD »

Offline David Reichard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17/09/2016 04:26:03 »
Thank you for the suggestions.Definitely not cloud-appearing phenomenon,but distinctly separate objects strongly lit in cold clear air at relatively close range.Could vortex rings assume spherical shape,and what is the effect of emerging into frigid air-would they still be buoyant?I surmised possible soap bubbles from a sewer opening as the best explanation I could imagine.This might easily be a type of physical behavior seldom observed because of the unusual air temperature conditions.It was very memorable.I looked for sewer openings around there,but could find none.Can soap bubbles rise up through snow?Can large insects fly at sub-freezing temperatures?I have observed small insects flying in cold weather,but never below freezing.If aliens did want to observe us surreptitiously,a drone that appears to be an insect would be a good method.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 17/09/2016 04:26:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums