The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What's the go with low carb potatoes??  (Read 778 times)

Offline dianella94

• First timers
    • View Profile
What's the go with low carb potatoes??
« on: 10/09/2016 08:13:13 »
A friend posted on facebook about "low carb potoatoes" asking: "How the does one potato have 25% less carbs than another unless it is 25% smaller?".  I thought it was an excellent question and I don't really have an answer.  So, does anyone know what's going on with low carb potatoes?

I did a google search and found plenty of articles talking about these potatoes having less carbs than your average spud, but nothing describing what the carbs have been replaced with.  Do these spuds have more protein?  More fat?  More water?  Or do they have higher level of indigestible carbs and does this mean supermarkets are twisting the truth a la Atkins by considering only those carbs that "count" to matter, eg "Net Carbs = Total Carbohydrates - Fiber - Sugar Alcohols (if applicable)".  And if so, is there any truth in this Net Carbs concept. 

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What's the go with low carb potatoes??
« Reply #1 on: 10/09/2016 09:27:34 »
There is a variety called Vivaldi which appears to have lower calories /100g than standard varieties. 80kcal vs 100kcal.
It was not 'bred' as low calorie but as an attempt to find a general purpose potato.
There may be other varieties.

Personally I don't bother with low carb or low fat but try to eat a balanced diet, and avoid sugary foods.

Offline dianella94

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/09/2016 10:06:22 »
I try and eat a generally balanced diet too and don't really bother with low carb either, but this question piqued my interest.  How can one potato be lower carb than another?  What's chemically different?  If it still weighs the same and has the same amount of water, then the carbs must be replaced by something else mustn't they?  Is it just that they have a higher % of indigestible fibre or what?  Or is it just a con?  When I see something like this that doesn't seem to make sense, I want to know if there is a simple answer.

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/09/2016 22:59:13 »
....If it still weighs the same and has the same amount of water,
I think you have hit the key point here. Potatoes vary a great deal in the amount of water they contain, new potatoes have more, old less. If you have a variety that contains more water than another then for each 100g there will be less calories and less starch (carbs).
Cooking will also have an effect. Boiled will retain more water than baked.
I looked at the claimed kcal/100g for different potatoes on a supermarket website and found they varied between 70 and 110 kcal/100g - cooking method not specified.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/09/2016 00:17:04 »
Food energy is rated by the amount of energy a human can extract from the food. The Atwater system was produced around the year 1900.

But there are still some anomalies; for example, humans can extract more energy from minced meat than from a whole steak, but apparently this is not taken into account in the calculations.

Overall, you should avoid empty calories, and potatoes are rather empty of nutrition (unless you are actually starving, in which case they will keep you alive for longer). In Australia, the food pyramid was rearranged this year to move starchy foods (potato, wheat, rice, corn, etc) out of the base of the diet, replacing them with non-starchy vegetables.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy
http://theblueroom.bupa.com.au/healthier/healthy-eating/food-pyramid-cutting-through-the-confusion
« Last Edit: 11/09/2016 04:22:28 by evan_au »

Offline Colin2B

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/09/2016 23:42:05 »
...potatoes are rather empty of nutrition....
Strange, but the potato marketing board paint a different story, wonder why? :)

Offline BaronJails62

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04/12/2016 13:21:19 »
Balance diet is important to have a healthy and long life. Make sure to include fruits and vegetable in your meals to attain the proper nutrition your body needs.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 04/12/2016 13:21:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums