The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Extra smooth beer  (Read 1890 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Extra smooth beer
« on: 13/03/2007 09:02:21 »
I understand it's to do with the gas mixture (more nitrogen or something like that). That got me thinking... what if helium was used instead of nitrogen? I think that could lead to some interesting nights in the pub.  ;D I can just imagine some big bruiser saying "Oi, are you looking at my bird?" in a Joe Pasquale voice!

But seriously, what is it that altering the gas mixture does? How does using more nitrogen effect the extra smoothness?

I've also noticed that smooth beers tend to be served colder. Is that a pre-requisite of using the different gas mixture? If they were served at the same temperature as ordinary beer would they loose their extra smoothness?

(By the way, I prefer traditional ales so I'm asking out of curiosity alone)

paul.fr

Extra smooth beer
« Reply #1 on: 13/03/2007 09:57:48 »
Morning Doctor Beaver.

It's a long time since i ran a pub, but i think the extra cold beer passes through a chiller 1 degree colder than the regular stuff. As for why it is smoother, as i said long time ago and i do not frequent the pubs now.

Was that any help?.......probibly not! morning any way.   ;D

Offline eric l

• View Profile
Extra smooth beer
« Reply #2 on: 15/03/2007 13:27:16 »
It is probably a good thing that my previous reply disappeared.  I thought that the use of nitrogen was typical for draught Guinness, but Googling "beer + nitrogen" gives over a million pages.  I must be running very far behind.

Nitrogen of course does not dissolve very well in water, at least not like carbondioxide.  This may be a problem for bottled beer.  It may also give a difference in taste (carbon dioxide is an acid after all).

These extra smooth or soft beers are served colder, probably because the cold makes the tongue less sensitive to tastes like bitter.  But I still like these old tastes, beer without hops simply is not like real beer any more,

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Extra smooth beer
« Reply #3 on: 15/03/2007 13:49:20 »
I'm not keen on smooth beers. I prefer traditional ales.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Extra smooth beer
« Reply #3 on: 15/03/2007 13:49:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums