The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The Twin Paradox !...What's That All About ?  (Read 12569 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
The Twin Paradox !...What's That All About ?
« on: 15/03/2007 19:57:37 »
A lot of seasoned scientists and academic nice peeps know this.

Where you have the case of the twins and one of them buggers off in a space craft at nearly the speed of light and then returns back at some time to find that he (or she) is younger than the twin left at home !

What I want to know is .....exactly how long did the space bound twin go away for then ?

Say the space-bound twin goes away for five years......comes back but is only two years younger than his brother....was he away for five years or two years ?

Is it both ?

Do I need to ingest more fish oils ?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #1 on: 15/03/2007 20:35:22 »
The answer of course is that both the percieved times for each of the twins are valid  That is 5 years for the traveller and seven years for the one who stayed at home according to your requirement that their age difference is now two years.

The differences in percieved time between the twins are valid but how do you know that one is older than the other unless the difference is a very long time. 
« Last Edit: 15/03/2007 21:08:40 by Soul Surfer »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/03/2007 20:55:47 »
Yes ..yes of course !!..THANK YOU Ian........

Aren't there ways to detect differences in age at the atomic scale or something ?....or....ahh !!...they would both be in possession of atomic clocks !! ?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/03/2007 13:54:13 »
One's beard would be longer!  :D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16/03/2007 14:06:38 »
One's beard would be longer!  :D

LOL......even if they are girlies ?...oooooooooooh !!!..LOL

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16/03/2007 16:45:57 »
The most noticeable effect is upon the Mesons that are created when cosmic rays hit the upper atmosphere, these would normally decay before they reach the ground but when they are created with high energy they travel closer to the speed of light and have an extended life time and reach the ground.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16/03/2007 20:22:41 »
A lot of seasoned scientists and academic nice peeps know this.
Where you have the case of the twins and one of them buggers off in a space craft at nearly the speed of light and then returns back at some time to find that he (or she) is younger than the twin left at home !
What I want to know is .....exactly how long did the space bound twin go away for then ?
Say the space-bound twin goes away for five years......comes back but is only two years younger than his brother....was he away for five years or two years ?
Is it both ?

Five years of his time or of the Earth's time?
If it's Earth's time, then the max age difference is 5 years (5 y. on earth - 0 y. on the astronaut's time).
If it's his time, then the max age difference is ∞ (∞ - 5 = ∞).

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08/04/2007 06:00:59 »

Things get interestinger when you have triplets, one stays on the ground, one goes off in a spacecraft to the celestial north, the other off to the celestial south, and both later return. What are their relative ages, and why?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08/04/2007 20:33:25 »
Things get interestinger when you have triplets, one stays on the ground, one goes off in a spacecraft to the celestial north, the other off to the celestial south, and both later return. What are their relative ages, and why?
I'm not very good in astronomy. How does our solar system move with respect celestial north?
If it moved towards celestial north, then the astronaut moving 1 light year (for example) towards celestial north, will come back home (on earth) before the astronaut moving 1 l.y. towards celestial south, since the solar system would have approached him meanwhile. (I suppose). Is this correct?

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10/04/2007 05:40:18 »
Well, with respect to what is the distance being measured?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10/04/2007 19:08:00 »
Well, with respect to what is the distance being measured?
I'm not an astronomer. If your question couldn't be answered easily, I imagine it would be difficult to establish stars distances too.

lyner

« Reply #11 on: 11/04/2007 00:25:19 »
The twins' paradox states that, because all motion is relative, each twin will see the other as traveling at the same speed and, yet, each twin will see his brother as being younger than himself when they get back together again.  There is an implied symmetry in their two situations.
In fact, there is no real paradox involved, or at least, it is easily resolved.
For the twins to see each other again after all those years, at least one of them has to get back with his brother. This will involve acceleration -i.e.  slowing down and then traveling   back to the other twin - more speeding up and slowing down. The conditions for special relativity no longer apply as  this is no longer an inertial frame (constant velocity with no acceleration or gravitational field), so, if one has been stationary or in an inertial frame and the other has been speeding up and slowing down, GENERAL relativity comes into play for one of them, so they will have had experienced  different relativistic effects and one will appear older than the other.   Time slows down  under conditions of acceleration or a gravitational field.
The one who did the return journey will appear, to BOTH of them, to be the younger one.
If they both go away and come back, they will look the same age.
  No paradox.
You can see this effect in the 'flying clock' experiment, which has been done a number of times; Two identical Caesium clocks were synchronised then one of them was taken on a long supersonic flight. - involving acceleration.  When it returned it was  showing a measurably earlier time (i.e. it had been running slower).

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11/04/2007 14:26:45 »
In fact, there is no real paradox involved, or at least, it is easily resolved.
For the twins to see each other again after all those years, at least one of them has to get back with his brother. This will involve acceleration -i.e.  slowing down and then traveling   back to the other twin - more speeding up and slowing down. The conditions for special relativity no longer apply as  this is no longer an inertial frame (constant velocity with no acceleration or gravitational field), so, if one has been stationary or in an inertial frame and the other has been speeding up and slowing down, GENERAL relativity comes into play for one of them, so they will have had experienced  different relativistic effects and one will appear older than the other.   Time slows down  under conditions of acceleration or a gravitational field.
The one who did the return journey will appear, to BOTH of them, to be the younger one.
If they both go away and come back, they will look the same age.

Sorry to contradict your quite good analysis, sophie, but there is no need of General Relativity to solve the paradox: the asymmetry can be understood and calculated precisely even with SR, for example using space-time diagrams. I cannot actually say to have completely understood the subject, but I'm pretty sure of this, because I have read threads on other forums about it.

I myself proposed a different (but equivalent) way of solving the paradox, simply noticing that the two twins measure different distances of the travel: if the twin on earth sees 4 light years as distance from earth to Proxima Centaury, the travelling twin sees less, because of Lorentz contraction. It's possible to show how the difference in time travels can be seen as coming from this fact only.

Actually (even if it's not obvious at all, even for me) they say the acceleration-deceleration of the starship can last so little time that, even if it's very large in intensity, its effects on the time differences becomes negligible.

lyner

« Reply #13 on: 12/04/2007 12:22:22 »
Surely their must be a paradox if you look at the problem from the point of view of each twin in turn and only consider SR.
Treat one twin (A) as 'stationary' and he will see his returning brother (B) (the one who did all the traveling) as younger.
Now treat the other one (B) as 'stationary'. He will see his brother (A) as the one who did the traveling and, so, will see  A as younger.
Neither of the twins is 'actually stationary' it is all relative.
That is the paradox (the fact that each twin will see the same effect - which is impossible; they can't BOTH be younger than the other one).
The only difference in the two situations, above, is that only A, in the first case and B in the second case are in inertial frames. The other twin is in a non inertial frame and, therefore, can't be subject to simple SR calculations.
The reality will be that the non-inertial twin, in each case, will  age slower    and appear younger.
It's only if you insist on SR calculations for both twins under both circumstances that the paradox is unresolved.

Actually (even if it's not obvious at all, even for me) they say the acceleration-deceleration of the starship can last so little time that, even if it's very large in intensity, its effects on the time differences becomes negligible.
I must say, this statement seems reasonable and I don't have an answer (with sums) to counter it. The only thing I can say is that, without introducing the ideas of non-inertial behavior, you still have your paradox and that needs resolving. I seem to remember that the argument (which I am only repeating from memory) goes that the GR effects are 'just enough' to explain the effect.
I will try to look out my original source when I have time.
Perhaps someone else can resolve our problem?

« Last Edit: 12/04/2007 18:06:29 by sophiecentaur »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12/04/2007 13:28:57 »
Surely their must be a paradox if you look at the problem from the point of view of each twin in turn and only consider SR.
Treat one twin (A) as 'stationary' and he will see his returning brother (B) (the one who did all the traveling) as younger.
Now treat the other one (B) as 'stationary'. He will see his brother (A) as the one who did the traveling and, so, will see  A as younger.
Not exactly. If you make the calculation you notice than twin B (the one in the starship) doesn't see A as younger, but older. The paradox comes from the *idea* that B should see A as younger (as well); but it's not, actually, just because B comes back.
Neither of the twins is 'actually stationary' it is all relative.
That is the paradox.
The only difference in the two situations, above, is that only A, in the first case and B in the second case are in inertial frames. The other twin is in a non inertial frame and, therefore, can't be subject to simple SR calculations.
It's true, as I said too, that the paradox comes from the fact they are not in inertial ref. frame one respect to the other, but GR is not necessary to solve the paradox. They are two different things.

Let's say A is on earth and B goes to Proxima Centaury (P.C.) at 4 light yars (l.y.) of distance (as measured from earth). B goes at an average speed of 0.8c and comes back.
The following computation can be done by *both* A and B:

In A ref. frame, earth-P.C. distance is S = 4 l.y., but in B ref. frame, earth-P.C. distance is 4*√(1 - 0.82) = 4*√(1 - 0.64) = 4*√0.36 = 4*0.6 = 2.4 l.y. because of Lorentz contraction.

Time that A have to wait for the entire B journey: S/V = (4 + 4)l.y./0.8c = 10 years.
Time that B have to wait for his journey: S'/V = (2.4 + 2.4)l.y./0.8c = 6 years.
End of paradox.

lyner

« Reply #15 on: 12/04/2007 17:44:32 »
It's true, as I said too, that the paradox comes from the fact they are not in inertial ref. frame one respect to the other, but GR is not necessary to solve the paradox. They are two different things.

But, as you say here - they are not both in inertial frames so you can't just use SR. The basis of SR is inertial frames so you can't go any further in any argument using SR, alone. (Surely?)

lyner

« Reply #16 on: 12/04/2007 17:47:22 »
The only way there would be no paradox would be if there were NO apparent different in the ages of the twins when they got together again.
This seems to be our main issue.
In your thought experiment, the twins  can both see that one has gone  faster than the other because one will arrive first  (to punch the time clock, put there by another person, at the other end) - one of them will expect to age differently than the other and, as you say, there would be no paradox here.
The paradox arises when they both end up at the same place and the same time (from a third observer's point of view).
We know that (have measured, in fact, that) there is a difference (even if only using atomic clocks and supersonic speeds). This time difference is easily observed and affects the non - inertial twin / clock.

After some more thought:
To accelerate to significant speeds would actually take considerable time and the  energy involved to account for the relativistic mass increase (ΔΕ= Δm csquared is relevant)  would be non-negligible  and there is plenty of scope for the 'time factor' to be distorted a significant amount, too.
The Mossbauer effect, for example, relies on very  narrow resonances  in  metal atoms and  detects time dilation  by using the effect on the absorption  of RF waves by tightly bound atoms. It is sufficiently sensitive to detect the difference in gravitational field  (an acceleration) on the rate time progresses  between two different floors in a laboratory building.  So it is quite easy to disturb time  a measurable amount in non-inertial frames.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2007 18:11:56 by sophiecentaur »

Offline socratus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12/04/2007 20:02:15 »
“Twin paradox” and  “ twins brothers”.
Einstein's Special Relativity Theory / Twin paradox
(time  travel with speed c=1 )
does not have any relation to a astronaut.
Special Relativity Theory only examines the behaviour
of a quantum of light / electron.
Twin Paradox (time travel ) has relation only to
a light quantum / electron.
SRT/ Twin Paradox has grown from Maxwell's theory.
And only an electron/ quantum of light is a main
and single hero in the Maxwell's theory and SRT.
=========== 
http://www.socratus.com

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12/04/2007 20:29:50 »
The only way there would be no paradox would be if there were NO apparent different in the ages of the twins when they got together again.
This seems to be our main issue.
In your thought experiment, the twins  can both see that one has gone  faster than the other because one will arrive first  (to punch the time clock, put there by another person, at the other end) - one of them will expect to age differently than the other and, as you say, there would be no paradox here.
I'm not sure to have understood what you want to say. Anyway, the experiment is very simple. The first event is: the twins say goodbye to each other, and a green lamp flashes (for example). The second event: they hug together at the end of the journey and a blu lamp flashes. Then they look better at each other and discover (also testified by their whatches) that B is 4 years younger than A. What does "one will arrive first" mean?
The paradox arises when they both end up at the same place and the same time (from a third observer's point of view).
A has never moved from earth, how could they have ended up in a different place?
In relativity we have to specify events, not simply places and times. An event is a space-time 4-vector: (ct,x,y,z). The utility is that the space-time interval between two events is invariant, that is, doesn't change from a ref. frame to another. The interval ds is defined in this way:
ds2 = (ct)2 - (dx2+dy2+dz2).
So, the total interval Δs between two events is:
Δs = ∫ds = ∫Sqrt[(ct)2 - (dx2+dy2+dz2)]
and this (scalar) quantity Δs is invariant.
After some more thought:
To accelerate to significant speeds would actually take considerable time and the  energy involved to account for the relativistic mass increase (ΔΕ= Δm csquared is relevant)  would be non-negligible  and there is plenty of scope for the 'time factor' to be distorted a significant amount, too.
The Mossbauer effect, for example, relies on very  narrow resonances  in  metal atoms and  detects time dilation  by using the effect on the absorption  of RF waves by tightly bound atoms. It is sufficiently sensitive to detect the difference in gravitational field  (an acceleration) on the rate time progresses  between two different floors in a laboratory building.  So it is quite easy to disturb time  a measurable amount in non-inertial frames.
Ok, now consider this: Instead of a 4 l.y. distant star, the travel is to a 40 l.y. star. Accelerations and decelerations of B can last exactly the same as in the previous 4 l.y. travel, but, now, they end up with an age difference of 100years - 60years = 40 years, not 4. So, how can accelerations and decelerations have to do with it?
« Last Edit: 12/04/2007 20:38:39 by lightarrow »

lyner

« Reply #19 on: 13/04/2007 19:54:05 »
Ok, now consider this: Instead of a 4 l.y. distant star, the travel is to a 40 l.y. star. Accelerations and decelerations of B can last exactly the same as in the previous 4 l.y. travel, but, now, they end up with an age difference of 100years - 60years = 40 years, not 4. So, how can accelerations and decelerations have to do with it?
I thought you'd got me on that one!  But . . . .

As far as each twin is concerned, in my very simple model, there is no 'fixed ' earth or distant star. In fact we have no fixed grid in space for our measurements, at all.
They are both in a deserted part of deep space. I am not allowing you to have any more in your experiment than this.
They could both be going at any speed you like at the start of the experiment. The only things they can see or measure are each other and their ships and their relative motion.
Apart from the fact that one has used his engines (which must play a part in resolving the paradox), when they start to move apart, their relative motions are equal and opposite.
Now take up my previous argument. Neither twin knows which of them has actually 'moved', only that they have changed position, relative to each other.
The actual distances they each observe the other one to have traveled is not really relevant. What is relevant is the fact that, when they finally meet (when their space time vectors coincide again) they will have different lengths of beard!
SR tells us that when the traveling one  (the one who uses his rockets)  returns to the original spot will have aged less because of time dilation and  he will appear younger.
But, from his point of view, it was the other one who went off at speed and then returned. So the other one will appear younger to him.
How can there not be a paradox there? if A>B, you can't say B>A.
But, if you allow for the effect of acceleration on one of them (which one of them could feel as a 'weight  force' on him), to alter the rate of progress of time on his ship.  That is a GR effect. As has been said previously,  effects on the passage of time  have  been observed, due both to high speeds ( the muon observations - SR) and due to gravitational fields (the Mossbauer effect - GR).
I think this answers your  question at the beginning of this post.
It is the initial impulse / change of speed  and the subsequent changes as he turns round and comes to a halt that affects his 'aging' rate. Clearly, on a longer journey, he would end up with a different actual age difference.

In a more straightforward situation, there is NO paradox, of course, if two ships pass each other and observe the one-second bleeps that they are each generating. Each ship will see the other one's bleeps at slower than  the one second rate of his own clock. That's simple (?!?!) S.R..

As far as I remember, having read the Einstein monograph  some time ago, as a posy undergraduate, he used the notion of two clocks and not twins, but, of course, the same applies. Personalising it , makes the phenomenon slightly more 'creepy'. He frequently used models or pictures first and then sorted out the maths later. There have certainly been lots of discussions of these effects on more than just light photons and electrons, socratus. And, in any case, if it's good enough for an electron, it's good enough for me and my brother.

« Last Edit: 13/04/2007 19:57:54 by sophiecentaur »

Offline thebrain13

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13/04/2007 20:49:31 »
now I apologize if I started skimming through and not paying enough attention to your arguments, but this is how I believe this problem is resolved.

What you need to pay attention to is where the measurement of time takes place. In this case it is the earth. The earth views both spaceships as younger then it is. All three observers view a different order of time throughout the whole trip. Since they are separated in distance, and they are traveling away from each other, all three would view each other as younger than themselves. see relativity of simultaneity. They would only agree once they are local(no distance between them) and have no relative velocity.

Now it seems like people always get caught up in arguing that both people view the same thing, but If I'm not mistaken a non inertial reference frame doesn't necessarily mean that it is accelerating, it can mean that it was accelerated. The ships are not in the same reference frame as the earth. The earth can lay claim that it was stationary the whole time because thats where the experiment was measured. The earth had no relative motion in relation to it, the pilots did.

If we decide to measure the experiment at celestial north, a different conclusion would be met. Lets say that the beginning of the experiment is the same two ships travel away at equal speeds in opposite directions. Except for one ship stops at celestial north, then the earth accelerates to meet it, and the other ship has to travel even further, since he traveled south before heading up north. (They have to be united to view the affect otherwise they will all just disagree with each other, and thats not a paradox, its Einsteins prediction) Since the celestial north is where the experiment is being measured, it would view the south traveling pilot as the youngest, the earth and the north moving pilot had spent the same amount of time traveling the same speeds relative to it, therefore they would be the same age as each other. And both would be the same amount older than the other pilot who spent more time traveling in relationship to the observer, celestial north.

jolly

« Reply #21 on: 13/04/2007 21:45:11 »
This is about time slowing down when you travel at the speed of light- so if time is slower for you when traveling at light speed but time stays the same for some who is not. Then when you meet the other person he has aged more than you.

The time of the journey is not important- 5mins you'll have a slight age increase on the brother that stays at home. A long journey and a big age increase on the brother that stays at home. 
« Last Edit: 13/04/2007 21:48:40 by jolly »

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13/04/2007 21:48:23 »
As far as each twin is concerned, in my very simple model, there is no 'fixed ' earth or distant star. In fact we have no fixed grid in space for our measurements, at all.
They are both in a deserted part of deep space. I am not allowing you to have any more in your experiment than this.
They could both be going at any speed you like at the start of the experiment. The only things they can see or measure are each other and their ships and their relative motion.
Apart from the fact that one has used his engines (which must play a part in resolving the paradox), when they start to move apart, their relative motions are equal and opposite.
Now take up my previous argument. Neither twin knows which of them has actually 'moved', only that they have changed position, relative to each other.
The actual distances they each observe the other one to have traveled is not really relevant. What is relevant is the fact that, when they finally meet (when their space time vectors coincide again) they will have different lengths of beard!
SR tells us that when the traveling one  (the one who uses his rockets)  returns to the original spot will have aged less because of time dilation and  he will appear younger.
But, from his point of view, it was the other one who went off at speed and then returned. So the other one will appear younger to him.
Yes, this is the "Twin Paradox", more or less as Einstein put it ≈ 100 years ago (it's incredible we are still discussing this, isnt'it?).
You say: <<So the other one will appear younger to him>>.
What I'm trying to convince you is that, actually , SR doesn't say that. It would seem, with a first logical reasoning, that the twin who has used engines "should" see the other twin as younger too. But this is only a "kind-of-logical-intuitive reasoning", and not the real mathematical evaluation, made in a little more time.
How can there not be a paradox there? if A>B, you can't say B>A.
But, if you allow for the effect of acceleration on one of them (which one of them could feel as a 'weight  force' on him), to alter the rate of progress of time on his ship.  That is a GR effect. As has been said previously,  effects on the passage of time  have  been observed, due both to high speeds ( the muon observations - SR) and due to gravitational fields (the Mossbauer effect - GR).
Sophie, it's called "gravitational time-dilation":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation
but, as I tried to show you, it's not enough to explain the overall time difference between the twins.
The asymmetry between the twins does come from the fact that one of them is accelerating; the difference in time does come from that fact, but the amount of time difference does not come from it (is this the real paradox?!)
If you could find the very simple (but rigorous) book: "Spacetime Physics, W.H. Freeman & Co., New York 1992- Edwin Taylor and John Archibald Wheeler", talking about how to solve the Twin Paradox, in paragraph 4.10 it says, as a title of a sub-paragraph:
"Do we need General Relativity? NO!"
It's an interesting book (even if with too little formulas for me).
« Last Edit: 13/04/2007 21:55:22 by lightarrow »

lyner

« Reply #23 on: 13/04/2007 21:56:15 »
a non inertial reference frame doesn't necessarily mean that it is accelerating, it can mean that it was accelerated.
Inertial means it's not accelerating. Its velocity is not changing whilst you are doing the experiment.
If anything is at a velocity, it must have accelerated at some time, no?
An inertial frame is the only condition under which you can do simple SR calculations.
I don't want to do this experiment on Earth. I don't have to.
My two twins are the only people in my experiment.
I didn't say that they see the same thing. I just said that they part at a time (noted by each of them by setting their identical clocks) and they meet some time later (at the same place in space time - or they wouldn't be meeting).
Their clocks will just not agree if  one of them has been accelerating - and he will have had to accelerate if he is to go away and then come back. There would have  been fewer clicks of the traveller's clock than on the clock of the one who remained (in his inertial frame, all the time).
It doesn't matter what speed the two were doing, relative to some observer on a 'stationary' Earth. That is not relevant.

What you need to pay attention to is where the measurement of time takes place. In this case it is the earth.
The place that the time measurement is taking place is on board each ship - the way time behaves on each ship is how fast the twins are each aging.
The whole point about relativity is that it avoids having to have a 'grid' in space. In fact, it effectively forbids one.
There is no need to involve the Earth or the direction of travel. That just adds confusion.
My experiment (in my last post) takes place miles from anyone else. Each twin is an observer . there are no  other observers. They each see different times on their clocks (and some other things about their distances, masses etc., but I'm not concerned with that).
Nowhere is stationary, in any case - didn't Michelson  and Morley imply that in  their classic experiment?
The earth is spinning and in orbit and the Sun is zapping round the galaxy, which, in turn, is zapping through deep space. (Unless you are an ancient Greek, in which case the earth is at the centre etc. etc.)

lyner

« Reply #24 on: 13/04/2007 22:14:21 »
Sophie, it's called "gravitational time-dilation":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation
Uncle Albert equates gravity and acceleration, doesn't he? They are precisely the same thing; Newton2.
A little acceleration for a long time or a lot for a little time will both have the effect of  changing the RATE of the clocks on the traveller's ship for ever, once the engines are turned off.
btw,  no one can rely on Wikipedia any more than we can really rely on what is posted here.

It would seem, with a first logical reasoning, that the twin who has used engines "should" see the other twin as younger too. But this is only a "kind-of-logical-intuitive reasoning",
Precisely - we are both saying that you can't apply SR in cases where there is not a inertial frame. When one tries- by virtue of saying "it's all relative" even though we're non-inertial, one is stepping into dodgy territory and you get so-called paradoxes.

In an earlier post this evening I quoted two ships passing each other at great speed. In that case they would observe each other's ships clock as being slow. That's ok - there is no paradox in that case. They are both in inertial frames, throughout  the experiment.

Until I have looked into it further, I will just have to disagree with  lightarrow about the  amount of the effect of acceleration. If it's not due to that, what can it be due to?
btw, have you noticed the amount of interest this has generated? :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 13/04/2007 22:14:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums