The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Panacea...fact or fable  (Read 11077 times)

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Panacea...fact or fable
« Reply #25 on: 12/03/2004 17:59:32 »
When I was young we had an old tom cat that was getting fairly tame in his old age (he'd been a barn cat all his life).  As he aged he was getting arthritis, as was my father.  The cat had an annoying habit of biting when he got to feeling really good.  It was just a love nibble, but could sometimes hurt.  One day my dad was petting him and the cat bit him on the finger joint, right on the spot that was swollen from arthritis.  That one broke the skin.  But then, over the next couple of weeks, the arthritis went away from my dad's fingers and has never returned - in any of his joints.  He's now 80 BTW and this happened when he was in his early 50's.  Unfortunately, the cat didn't last that long and never bit me hard enough to break the skin.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14/03/2004 14:15:54 »
Aren't they using been venom for arthritis too?  Wonder if it was the same type of effect?

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15/03/2004 01:48:41 »
I've heard of leaches being used to treat it as well.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15/03/2004 01:54:27 »
I haven't heard of leeches for arthritis.  Medically we use them for crushing injuries, to suck out the old blood which makes for congestion, hence increased pressure in a small closed space, (i.e. a finger), and circulatory compromise.  I suppose there could be something other than anticoagulant in their saliva that is good for arthritis.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #28 on: 15/03/2004 01:54:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums