The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do jobs combining computer coding and combinatorics exist?  (Read 320 times)

Offline mojemeno

• First timers
    • View Profile
We've recently started coding at school and I like it a lot, but in terms of maths I found also combinatorics and probability (+ statistics) very beautiful so my question goes like this: "Is there any possible job where are those 2 elements combined together?". And which programming language shall I choose to be prepared for this occupation? Thanks!
« Last Edit: 09/10/2016 23:32:56 by chris »

Offline homebrewer

• View Profile
Interesting posting, but for your own benefit think what mathematical skills you can bring to the table of any future employer, as Combinatorics, Probability and Computing are very much emerging sciences. In terms of software I would be looking at C++ and for the more mathematically skilled neural software (perhaps from (Neuralware TM) und to top it all up, learn to work with the (Oracle dB TM) and Java.

Good luck.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
You could look at jobs in Big Data.

This means analyzing large volumes of data in order to find robust patterns that can be used to predict cases that you haven't seen.
- It requires a good understanding of probability to ensure that the signal you think you found isn't just noise.
- It requires the ability to combine different sources of data in meaningful ways
- Jobs might include analyzing DNA and identifying disease from trace chemicals in the breath
- This can be contrasted to "Deep Learning" (part of Artificial Intelligence) in that:
      - Deep Learning can't tell you how it recognizes things, and it can sometimes act in quite bizarre ways (a real worry if the AI is driving your car).
      - Data Scientists can say which data is significant, and perhaps give some hints about why
      - I feel a little more comfortable if I can understand how things work

At the current state of technology, I exclude stock exchange prediction from this.
- Stock exchange prediction seems to be mostly looking at noise
- The high-volume traders seem to rely on speed rather than insight - they get the trade a millisecond before someone else.
- The human traders seem to rely mostly on rumors and guessing about how the market will react to the rumors
- Unfortunately, this modern version of reading the tea leaves tends to pay better than "productive" jobs like curing disease
« Last Edit: 15/10/2016 22:24:51 by evan_au »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums