The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: planets  (Read 5127 times)

Anastasia.fr.1

planets
« on: 18/03/2007 09:36:41 »
why is there other planets if we can not live on them ? from Anastasia

another_someone

planets
« Reply #1 on: 18/03/2007 12:39:04 »
The planets are created as a byproduct of the creation of the Sun, and our own coming along was only much later after it had all been created.

It is rather like saying why is there an apple tree when all you want to eat is the fruit of the apple, but you cannot have the fruit of the apple tree without having the rest of the tree there.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
planets
« Reply #2 on: 18/03/2007 14:53:09 »
I believe that God was occupied before the six days he spent creating heaven and Earth creating hells for those who asked such questions

paul.fr

planets
« Reply #3 on: 18/03/2007 17:34:59 »
what a humorous reply, could you not tell this post was made by a child? Or do we just mock every question that we find stupid?

As for the god and hell references! well thank you very much, not only is the child who posted the question my daughter she is also raised under very strict religious doctrines so much so that she will never call me dad, or refer to me as her father because she has had it instilled in her that she will go to hell if she does. how do i combat this? well one of the ways is to engage her in science and asking any question that she has, on any subject. how stupid of me to think that she should post some of those questions here and acquire other peoples thoughts and opinions.

another_someone

planets
« Reply #4 on: 18/03/2007 18:02:16 »
Paul,

I understand where you are coming from, but maybe are a little overreacting (I know, we all want to protect our kith and kin, and maybe react stronger in their defence than we would in defending ourselves).

I will admit that I felt a little bit queasy about symphrum's response, but I did realise that no harm was intended, and we cannot expect everybodies sensitivities to match our own.

I must admit, I did not spot that Anastasia was your daughter (although it should have been obvious, and it was clear that it was a child posting).  Clearly a bright kid - she takes after her father.

I think you will just have to try and explain to her  that people sometimes use words in jest, in a way that they do not expect to be taken literally.

But, just as you cannot expect everybody to share your sensitivities, it might be a worthwhile caution to others that their words will not always come across in the way that they had intended, and maybe a little more care might be in order to allow that the person reading their post might be very different from themselves.

paul.fr

planets
« Reply #5 on: 18/03/2007 18:08:45 »
George, out of respect to you this reply is short and i apologise if it sounds abrupt.

but in no way is it an over reaction. try having you daughter tell you the stuff she tells me, things she truly believes, things that make you cry yorself to sleep, or as you post this reply.

it is truly not an over reaction, i am glad you think it is because that means you have not had the experiance i have had for 6 years

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
planets
« Reply #6 on: 18/03/2007 18:17:26 »
I am sorry paul.. How is anastasia?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
planets
« Reply #7 on: 18/03/2007 18:24:47 »

It's quite possible Anastasia that one day we may need to colonise other planets because in the far distant future ,( certainly way after next Wednesday !!) our planet earth will become very difficult for us humans and sheep to live on because the Sun will be running out of fuel. I have great faith in human ingenuity and hope that when the time comes either we will have found a way to travel the vast distances to colonize planets in other solar systems or that we may even be able to control our own Sun ourselves making it last longer than a gobstopper !!

..Who knows what the distant future holds ?.....we may even build our own planets to orbit nearer stars.

Hugs ewe Anastasia and hugs Anastasia's daddy too !!.........,YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!
« Last Edit: 18/03/2007 18:26:20 by neilep »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
planets
« Reply #8 on: 18/03/2007 18:34:37 »
Neily's right Anastasia, One day that may well be the way we head. Wouldn't it be cool to live in another place perhaps have the stars all around us rather then  just above us.

I honestly don't know why there are other planets . That is a good question, but since they are there then I think it is up to us to find out more about them. Perhaps find out why, and explore and learn more along the way!

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
planets
« Reply #9 on: 18/03/2007 20:21:39 »

Well now there is nothing to say that we canít or can. There are billions of them out there rotating away around twilling stars. At present we donít have the power to get to them and it was not all the long ago that we did not even have the power to fly across the sea. Years ago some people believed that the world was flat and to them it was. Perhaps in the future people will look back at our time and think how silly some people were to believe we never get to the stars.

I think that if you can't think a thing that it can come true.
  :)

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
planets
« Reply #10 on: 19/03/2007 10:50:00 »
The simple answer, Anastasia, is that we evolved on this planet because it had conditions that allowed life and evenually people to evolve.  The universe is a very big place and just exists in its own right and was not made for our benefit.  Getting to other planets is quite difficult because it involves travelling through space and we can see by astronomical measurements that conditions on most of the other planets are not very good for us to live in so we have mostly sent machines to other planets to observe them rather than risk the lives of people going there.
« Last Edit: 19/03/2007 10:52:30 by Soul Surfer »

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
planets
« Reply #11 on: 20/03/2007 02:18:07 »
It should also be noted Anastasia that you, the apple, the tree, the earth and all the planets in the solar system are made from star stuff as Carl Sagan says. Everything you can see around you was once created in the heart of a star. How fantastic.

Carl Sagan - A pale blue dot was lucky to have you.

The Naked Scientists Forum

planets
« Reply #11 on: 20/03/2007 02:18:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums