The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: increase flying distance of RC helicopter  (Read 32787 times)

paul.fr

increase flying distance of RC helicopter
« on: 20/03/2007 05:57:37 »
It's much too windy at the moment to go flying, but is it possible to increase the flying distance of an RC helicopter?

if i lenghened the trailing wire (that picks the signal from the controller up) on the helicopter, or the length of the RC antenna would it work? or is the radio frequency the main factor?

another_someone

« Reply #1 on: 20/03/2007 07:49:59 »
There is a relationship between the radio frequency and the antenna length, and it is possible that if the antenna was carefully matched to the frequency, that increasing its length could be counterproductive.

The simplest way of extending the range would be to boost the output power of the RC transmitter, but this might run into legal problems.

The other thing you might want to look at is whether certain radio frequencies in your area are noisier than others, and simply avoid those frequencies.

Do you know which RF band you are using?  I know that RC used to use 27MHz, but I believe this is rarely used these days because of problems with CB radio interfering with RC transmissions, so most RC I believe is done at 35MHz.

Another thing that may well have an impact would be time of day, as different noise sources may be more or less prevalent at different times of the day.

One problem I can see with trying to increase the range of RC is that if you are operating at the limit of range, you could suddenly go from being in control of the helicopter to losing control of it - and an out of control RC aircraft can be a public hazard.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/03/2007 19:14:16 »
Ahh !!!...George just kind of answered  (in his last sentence) the question I'm about to ask and that is ..what happens when an RS plane/helicopter goes out of range ?..does it just stop and fall out of the sky ?..or does it continue flying till it hits something ?

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 20/03/2007 21:12:16 »
Ahh !!!...George just kind of answered  (in his last sentence) the question I'm about to ask and that is ..what happens when an RS plane/helicopter goes out of range ?..does it just stop and fall out of the sky ?..or does it continue flying till it hits something ?

both, it continues until it hit something.........the ground. tried and tested!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/03/2007 21:30:54 »

both, it continues until it hit something.........the ground. tried and tested!

Thanks Paul.......so the throttle doesn't disengage when it goes out of range ?

paul.fr

« Reply #5 on: 20/03/2007 21:36:08 »
well Anastasia has had many planes and choppers, and destroyed them all except the new chopper. some of the planes are designed to land without remote assistance, but never when Anastasia has had them  :-\

The new one, well last summer, is cool has half a k flying range. but they can be dangerous like george says. on her first flight she went over some fields and almost took a mans head off when she panicked and just let go.......i should not laugh but the mans reactions to this big helicopter bearing down on him was funny

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20/03/2007 21:45:27 »
LOL.....I am trying to picture the poor bloke being buzzed by a delinquent helicopter/plane !!

Crikey half a K is well far !!....do ewe need binoculars ?...is there some kind of signal on the remote that indicates it's close to the range limit ?

paul.fr

« Reply #7 on: 20/03/2007 21:51:33 »
LOL.....I am trying to picture the poor bloke being buzzed by a delinquent helicopter/plane !!

Crikey half a K is well far !!....do ewe need binoculars ?...is there some kind of signal on the remote that indicates it's close to the range limit ?

lol.

no signal indicator, but we live in the sticks so it's pretty much open fields and farms. just have a long way to walk to retrieve the thing.

planes are cool for trick flying, but i don't see the point of an RC submarine!!! where is the fun in that? unless you get torpedoes!

another_someone

« Reply #8 on: 20/03/2007 22:30:37 »
You did not say whether you are using 35MHz, or 27MHz - although looking on the web, I don't see any 27MHz kit being sold.  More interestingly, I do see some 2.4GHz kit being sold.  This is the same radio band that is used by Blue tooth and Wireless LAN, so it could be subject to interfence from them, but it is designed to operate in noisy environments, so if it is free of that noise (i.e. you don't have anybody close by with a laptop trying to use wireless LAN), then it should provide a good signal.  That having been said, although there is a lot of talk about using 2.4GHz without having to worry about interference from nearby RC transmitters, there is no talk about a quantum leap in effective range of the transmitter.

The other thing that I always thought would be neat would be to have an airborne RC relay  - i.e. fly a helicopter, or maybe even an RC airship, with a RC receiver and RC transmitter.  Keep the relay vehicle close by, but high up, so that it has a clear line of sight well beyond your own line of site, then beam your signal up to the stationary relay vehicle, and allow the relay to rebroadcast the signal to your more distant aircraft.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/03/2007 22:31:25 »

lol.

no signal indicator, but we live in the sticks so it's pretty much open fields and farms. just have a long way to walk to retrieve the thing.

planes are cool for trick flying, but i don't see the point of an RC submarine!!! where is the fun in that? unless you get torpedoes!

Quite agree....RC submarines are pointless without torpedo luff !!...unless of course you enjoy saying " dive dive dive " about a zillion times !!

What about a remote control windmill ?...LOL

paul.fr

« Reply #10 on: 20/03/2007 22:36:29 »
sorry, George.

it's 27.something MHz there is no real radio interference locally. i just thought it would be fun to go higher, not so much farther, but that could also be a weight issue!

the relay ship is a good idea, but so is putting small bullets in planes and heelicopters and having dog fights...thats what i wanted as a kid...and i still want it!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20/03/2007 22:40:42 »
What about if you went on a hot air balloon trip and chucked the plane out from 2000 feet ?...will that work ?

paul.fr

« Reply #12 on: 20/03/2007 22:44:54 »
What about if you went on a hot air balloon trip and chucked the plane out from 2000 feet ?...will that work ?

work or not, it's worth trying!

another_someone

« Reply #13 on: 20/03/2007 22:50:47 »

Quite agree....RC submarines are pointless without torpedo luff !!...unless of course you enjoy saying " dive dive dive " about a zillion times !!

What about a remote control windmill ?...LOL

So what is wrong with a remote control submarine - people pay millions of pound for those things - and their not even RC, they have to be cable tethered to the mothership (well, it is not easy receiving 27MHz radio signals several miles beneath the water).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_underwater_vehicle

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20/03/2007 22:54:26 »
LOL.....yes...of course ..those ROVs are the exception !!...do they come in kit form ?

another_someone

« Reply #15 on: 20/03/2007 23:00:31 »
sorry, George.

it's 27.something MHz there is no real radio interference locally.

From what I see, it seems like quite antiquated equipment - I don't see a lot of 27MHz advertised much.

i just thought it would be fun to go higher, not so much farther, but that could also be a weight issue!

Power, weight, wing design, would all be factors.

What happens when you try flying high - are you just finding the aircraft stall,s or will not climb further, or the engine suffocate; or are you finding that you lose control of the aircraft.

If it is the latter, then it is signal strength (or signal to noise ratio) that is the issue.  If it is one of the former, then even throwing the plane out of a hot air balloon will not help (although flying on a cold day will improve altitude flying - if the problem is air density rather than radio transmission).

but so is putting small bullets in planes and heelicopters and having dog fights...thats what i wanted as a kid...and i still want it!

Don't think you could fire bullets without designed some sort of gun to fire them from.  Underwing rockets might be easier (although aim would still be rather hit and miss - and a miss might end up hitting something you really did not want to hit).  Besides all of that, is the question as to what the officers of the law might think about it all.

another_someone

« Reply #16 on: 20/03/2007 23:10:04 »
LOL.....yes...of course ..those ROVs are the exception !!...do they come in kit form ?

What do you really need to build one?

You need a robust housing (depending on depth - but if you only want to go 50 feet down, it need not be the kind of design that would survive depths of 6000 feet).  A camera, a couple of torches stuck on the outside,  a couple of electric motors, and some controllable buoyancy - and a long length of wire - all with waterproof seals.  Seems far less complicated than your average helicopter (no need for collectives and cyclic pitch control, tail rotors to counteract rotor torque, gyroscopes, etc. - and no hassle about keeping power to weight ratio high).

another_someone

« Reply #17 on: 20/03/2007 23:42:22 »
but so is putting small bullets in planes and heelicopters and having dog fights...thats what i wanted as a kid...and i still want it!

But if you are looking for airial combat, why not go for kites:

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/spring/kites/war_armed.htm

or

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6233461.stm
he government of Pakistan's Punjab province is to allow kite-flying during the Basant spring festival in February.

But officials said the kite-makers and those flying them would have to follow certain rules to minimise risk to life.

The Supreme Court outlawed the sport in 2005 after several people were killed by glass-coated or metal kite strings.

Basant, which begins on 25 February, is popular with tourists but religious leaders say kite-flying is un-Islamic. The ban will return after the festival.

Proposals

Officials said the regulations, announced by the government on Thursday, would be presented before the Supreme Court for approval.

Under the new proposals:

• metal-reinforced and glass-coated strings are banned
  • only cotton strings up to a certain thickness are allowed
  • kites larger than 2x2 feet, that require a thicker string, are prohibited
  • kite strings can only be coated with wheat-flour glue, dye and soft, finely-ground glass.

In an attempt to regulate kite-making and kite-flying, the government says it will issue licences to retailers selling kites and strings, and only those dealers and manufacturers who are members of a single association registered under the Companies Act would qualify.

Officials said bikers in Punjab had also been told to affix protective antennae on their bikes to protect them against the kite strings.

They said those violating the rules would be punished with imprisonment of up to four years and a monetary fine.

Fatal consequences

Metal or glass-coated strings help cut the strings of rival kites - the main objective of the sport.

But they can catch unsuspecting bikers across the throat, at times with fatal consequences.

Metal string can also cause short-circuits in overhead power cables, leading to heavy losses for electricity utilities.

The festival, praised by President Pervez Musharraf who often flies down to Lahore to participate, is traditionally held in the second week of February.

But for the last two years, it has been delayed because of the ban. In 2006, the authorities also announced a lifting of the ban for the duration of the festival.

The country's religious parties have traditionally opposed the festival for its supposedly Hindu origin, and have been demanding that it should be banned.

Over the years, the Basant festival has drawn thousands of revellers to Lahore from all over the world.

Even Indian movie stars have started participating in the festival which peaks with an all-night flood-lit kite-flying marathon on the eve of the festival.

Offline WylieE

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21/03/2007 01:22:46 »
the relay ship is a good idea, but so is putting small bullets in planes and heelicopters and having dog fights...thats what i wanted as a kid...and i still want it!
My cousin and I used to put bottle rockets on my little sisters barbies and fight them- but they don't go very far either :(- even with a LOT of bottle rockets.

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #19 on: 21/03/2007 10:01:47 »
I am not sure what the legalities are, but you could try building a higher gain. more directional aerial - send all of the energy in one direction rather than sending it in all directions. Although this could be difficult in a conventional way because the wavelength of 27 MHz is about 10m, so it would have to be a very big structure.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #19 on: 21/03/2007 10:01:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums