The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is stomach acid present in vomit?  (Read 7832 times)

paul.fr

Is stomach acid present in vomit?
« on: 23/03/2007 18:30:31 »
sorry if you are eating your dinner!

When vomiting does stomach acid come up with the other "stuff"? if it does why does your throat not get burnt?
« Last Edit: 26/03/2007 10:33:22 by chris »

another_someone

Re: Is stomach acid present in vomit?
« Reply #1 on: 23/03/2007 18:38:22 »
By the time it gets to the throat, it is somewhat diluted; but repeated vomiting (or just regular gastric reflux on a smaller scale) I believe can increase the chance of cancer of the oesophagus.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/03/2007 18:48:41 »
I have experienced the throat burn when most of what I've been bringing up is liquid...it's not nice and plenty of liquid is required to douse the pain........actually...you've reminded me of another sick orientated thread I've been meaning to start...... http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6916.new#new
« Last Edit: 23/03/2007 18:50:53 by neilep »

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 23/03/2007 19:00:04 »
By the time it gets to the throat, it is somewhat diluted; but repeated vomiting (or just regular gastric reflux on a smaller scale) I believe can increase the chance of cancer of the oesophagus.

Because of the stomach acid?

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 23/03/2007 19:19:20 »

Because of the stomach acid?

I believe so.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/03/2007 16:09:15 »
I understand that anorexia sufferers who vomit a lot often have damagged tooth enamel due to the acid.

Offline lgic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24/03/2007 16:45:47 »
Another hallmark of bulimia is sores that never heal on the fingers used to induce vomiting. There certainly is stomach acid coming up, but it is buffered somewhat by food in the stomach.

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #7 on: 25/03/2007 17:11:10 »
Gastric reflux can be caused by several things, I have a friend who is a doctor doing research now on this and believes stress along with other causes(stress mainly)can be the leading cause for this issue.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #8 on: 26/03/2007 10:35:51 »
Yes. Anything in the stomach and small intestine can be ejected by vomiting, and that includes the acid. That's part of the reason that being sick is so unpleasant, because the gastic juices are quite irritant, especially to the sensitive membranes of the nose.

And as has already been alluded to, individuals with bulimia often develop teeth full of caries (cavities) caused by repeated exposure to acids when they make themselves sick.

Chris

ROBERT

« Reply #9 on: 27/03/2007 16:18:20 »
individuals with bulimia often develop teeth full of caries (cavities) caused by repeated exposure to acids when they make themselves sick.

Chris

This is also why heroin addicts have rotten/missing teeth, (opiates cause extreme nausea).

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #10 on: 27/03/2007 20:05:35 »
This is also why heroin addicts have rotten/missing teeth, (opiates cause extreme nausea).

I always thought it was through being beaten up after being caught stealing to fund their disgusting habit...

paul.fr

« Reply #11 on: 27/03/2007 20:48:36 »

I always thought it was through being beaten up after being caught stealing to fund their disgusting habit...

no pc politness here  :) i like your thinking there, Chris.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 27/03/2007 20:48:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums