The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do wormholes have gravity?  (Read 5237 times)

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
Do wormholes have gravity?
« on: 26/03/2007 15:13:04 »
If you think about it, they should.

Think about the classic "rubber sheet" model of space-time with a wormhole embedded in it. Don't look at both of the mouths; just look at one of them and cover up the lower part of the Einstein-Rosen bridge. Now look at a black hole embedded in the same sheet in a similar way. They look awfully similar, don't they? Around both objects, space-time is severely warped enough to produce a deep depression.

From what we know, any curvature in space-time amounts to a force: gravity. Hence, since the amount of curvature around a wormhole is similar to the amount of curvature around a black hole of similar size, shouldn't a wormhole have blac khole-like gravity at each mouth? Also, since mass and gravity are directly related, shouldn't a wormhole have intrinsic mass?

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28/03/2007 16:25:45 »
the principle of wormholes states that when a black hole is aligned right with a white hole (black hole that sucked too much, and is now leaking matter due to quantum physics) then a wormhole will be created.  I'm not exactly sure, but I would think this would mean that they are one way tunnels.  The linkage of a black to a white hole is very unlikely however, and even if we were able to find one with searching, we shouldn't bother, because this universe is not old enough for white holes to exist as of yet.

If, theoretically, we were to find a wormhole, it's gravitational forces will rip us to shreds, and then proceed to pass our molecules through to the other side in a orderly single file line.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 28/03/2007 16:25:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums