The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: mould  (Read 5449 times)

paul.fr

  • Guest
mould
« on: 26/03/2007 20:44:07 »
The brother-in-law has this disgusting habit of just cutting the mould off things like cheese and eating the rest...yuk..How safe is food that has had mould on it?

also, on a different note, can you safely eat potatoes that have green skin?


 

Offline WylieE

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 236
    • View Profile
mould
« Reply #1 on: 26/03/2007 20:57:34 »
I don't know about the mould, but don't eat green potatoes!

They may contain glycoalkaloids a bitter tasting compound that can cause
vomiting and diarrhea- if ingested in high enough levels it can be fatal (I'm not sure if domestic potatoes can get this much, but wild ones certainly can).

Glycoalkaloids are difficult to get rid of too- you really don't get rid of them by typical cooking.   So it is just best to avoid green potatoes.
Fortunately, we get a warning. . . glycoalkaloids taste very bitter- so don't eat bitter potatoes either.

Actually, I think it's pretty amazing that we ever started to domesticate potatoes and tomatoes, the wild ones aren't very friendly.
Colleen
 
 

paul.fr

  • Guest
mould
« Reply #2 on: 26/03/2007 22:32:02 »
I don't know about the mould, but don't eat green potatoes!

They may contain glycoalkaloids a bitter tasting compound that can cause
vomiting and diarrhea- if ingested in high enough levels it can be fatal (I'm not sure if domestic potatoes can get this much, but wild ones certainly can).

Glycoalkaloids are difficult to get rid of too- you really don't get rid of them by typical cooking.   So it is just best to avoid green potatoes.
Fortunately, we get a warning. . . glycoalkaloids taste very bitter- so don't eat bitter potatoes either.

Actually, I think it's pretty amazing that we ever started to domesticate potatoes and tomatoes, the wild ones aren't very friendly.
Colleen
 

Thanks for that, Colleen.

i would have thought that any food product that contains mould in one part, must also have traces elsewhere!
 

another_someone

  • Guest
mould
« Reply #3 on: 26/03/2007 23:38:59 »
i would have thought that any food product that contains mould in one part, must also have traces elsewhere!

But is this necessarily a bad thing (in small doses)?
 

Offline elegantlywasted

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 573
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
mould
« Reply #4 on: 26/03/2007 23:44:28 »
Cheese, and most dairy products are essentially mold. Its completly safe to cut it off and eat the unmouldy part. Bread and fruit, however, not so good to eat.
 

paul.fr

  • Guest
mould
« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2007 23:58:17 »
Cheese, and most dairy products are essentially mold. Its completly safe to cut it off and eat the unmouldy part. Bread and fruit, however, not so good to eat.

so I'm just too fussy!
 

paul.fr

  • Guest
mould
« Reply #6 on: 27/03/2007 00:00:32 »
i would have thought that any food product that contains mould in one part, must also have traces elsewhere!

But is this necessarily a bad thing (in small doses)?

i don't know, i just think if it's in one place it "has to be" in another and that puts me off eating it.
 

Offline Carolyn

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 3761
    • View Profile
mould
« Reply #7 on: 27/03/2007 02:28:25 »
Cheese, and most dairy products are essentially mold. Its completly safe to cut it off and eat the unmouldy part. Bread and fruit, however, not so good to eat.

so I'm just too fussy!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that thinks this is disgusting!
 

Offline Karen W.

  • Moderator
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *****
  • Posts: 31653
  • Thanked: 5 times
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
mould
« Reply #8 on: 27/03/2007 03:57:15 »
Potatoes get that green from over exposure to light and boy howdy they can make you ill! I have always been told to cut the mold off the cheese. and rewrap it!
 

Offline elegantlywasted

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 573
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
mould
« Reply #9 on: 27/03/2007 04:15:18 »
I have always been told to cut the mold off the cheese. and rewrap it!
Totally, cheese is expensive, and I live alone, I keep that block of cheese going for as long as I can!
 

Offline Karen W.

  • Moderator
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *****
  • Posts: 31653
  • Thanked: 5 times
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
mould
« Reply #10 on: 27/03/2007 04:33:27 »
It is expensive.
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

mould
« Reply #10 on: 27/03/2007 04:33:27 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums