The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: vitamin suppliments  (Read 68279 times)

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
vitamin suppliments
« Reply #50 on: 05/02/2009 23:16:47 »
Vitamins 'could shorten lifespan'...
...may be they don't!
I'll try to read the complete report, then
I might be able to comment on this.
For now I just note that vitamin C didn't
do bad things and vitamin D is not mentioned.

ikod

...I'm not sure, really, that vitamin supplements could 'shorten' lifespan...
at least at the very beginning of life!
Canada rules.

Prenatal multivitamin supplementation and rates of pediatric cancers: a meta-analysis.

Goh YI, Bollano E, Einarson TR, Koren G.
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto, and The Motherisk Program, Division of Clinical Pharmacology/Toxicology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Prenatal supplementation of folic acid has been shown to decrease the risk of several congenital malformations. Several studies have recently suggested a potential protective effect of folic acid on certain pediatric cancers. The protective role of prenatal multivitamins has not been elucidated. We conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis to assess the potential protective effect of prenatal multivitamins on several pediatric cancers. Medline, PubMed, EMBASE, Toxline, Healthstar, and Cochrane databases were searched for studies published in all languages from 1960 to July 2005 on multivitamin supplementation and pediatric cancers. References from all articles collected were reviewed for additional articles. Two blinded independent reviewers assessed the articles for inclusion and exclusion. Rates of cancers in women supplemented with multivitamins were compared with unsupplemented women using a random effects model. Sixty-one articles were identified in the initial search, of which, seven articles met the inclusion criteria. There was an apparent protective effect for leukemia (odds ratio (OR)=0.61, 95% confidence interval (CI)=0.50-0.74), pediatric brain tumors (OR=0.73, 95% CI=0.60-0.88) and neuroblastoma (OR=0.53, 95% CI=0.42-0.68).
In conclusion, maternal ingestion of prenatal multivitamins is associated with a decreased risk for pediatric brain tumors, neuroblastoma, and leukemia. Presently, it is not known which constituent(s) among the multivitamins confer this protective effect.
Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2007 May;81(5):685-91.

« Last Edit: 15/02/2009 09:38:57 by iko »

Offline Mackay

• First timers
    • View Profile
vitamin suppliments
« Reply #51 on: 26/03/2009 05:17:44 »
So what about Vitamin D3? The scientific evidence is stacking up that it can prevent cancer and a multitude of diseases and that middle aged and older folks just can't make enough from sun exposure.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
vitamin suppliments
« Reply #52 on: 26/03/2009 11:21:00 »
So what about Vitamin D3? The scientific evidence is stacking up that it can prevent cancer and a multitude of diseases and that middle aged and older folks just can't make enough from sun exposure.

You name it!   :D ;D ;)

A little help from the sun, probably working in the long run, in a limited number of patients...why not?
It certainly wouldn't be such a "New!!!" discovery.

« Last Edit: 26/03/2009 15:16:37 by iko »

Offline Engave

• First timers
    • View Profile
vitamin suppliments
« Reply #53 on: 07/07/2009 23:42:55 »
That was a good article from LEF. I make my own vitamin C serum as well. Can you list the ingredients and amounts for your serum?

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
vitamin suppliments
« Reply #54 on: 08/07/2009 22:00:50 »
That was a good article from LEF. I make my own vitamin C serum as well. Can you list the ingredients and amounts for your serum?

Uh?   ???

Offline AGN

• First timers
    • View Profile
vitamin suppliments
« Reply #55 on: 10/12/2009 18:46:49 »
Now, for the good news about TURMERIC EXTRACT:

This week, I am going to suggest that you look to obtain at least 60 mg per day of turmeric extract, but may I suggest, that the benefits I am suggesting in this e-newsletter are going to be realized in the neighborhood of 600 to 1000 mg per day.

Hello,

I have just discovered about the beneficial effect of curcumin in the prevention and treatment of several phatologies and I have every intention to add this substance as a supplement to my diet. I understand that this extract has low bioavailability, so to avoid having to ingest massive amounts of the turmeric spice, I was thinking that maybe it would be preferable to opt for curcumin-based supplements with high bioavailability? On the Internet I found suggestions about some capsules called "Curcu-Gel", but I am not sure if this product is safe or is the best available option.

Could anyone please advise about the efficacy of the curcumin-based supplements commercially available and maybe suggest some product names, to avoid ending up purchasing any unsafe products from scam online shops?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
vitamin suppliments
« Reply #56 on: 11/12/2009 09:09:02 »
Hi AGN,

welcome to this forum: you may search for discussions about curcumin even here...
I am not an expert, but I read periodically clinical reports about curcumin in any sort of disease.
My personal opinion is that we can rely on curcumin powder only, this is what has been used in clinical research so far.
Curcumin is poorly absorbed, but 2-4gr/day is the dosage frequently reported...and it's NOT toxic.
It seems a bit too early to test on ourselves new "manipulations" of the old natural spice.
Take care

ikod
« Last Edit: 14/12/2009 16:38:30 by iko »

Offline AGN

• First timers
    • View Profile
vitamin suppliments
« Reply #57 on: 12/12/2009 22:04:30 »
Hi Ikod!

Time to start looking for curcumin-based recepies on the Internet then!

Thanks a lot!
AGN

The Naked Scientists Forum

vitamin suppliments
« Reply #57 on: 12/12/2009 22:04:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length