The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: High pitched noise making me sick  (Read 5591 times)

Offline Negin -(Universe)

• View Profile
High pitched noise making me sick
« on: 26/03/2007 19:48:43 »
Hi every one, I'm a new member and so don't know whether the question I'm about to ask has been previously answered or not?
does any one know why it is that when we listen to high pitched sound we feel sick after a while, is it because of the vibration of the molecules in our body?

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #1 on: 28/03/2007 10:09:40 »
It is not something I have noticed, how loud does it have to be? When have you observed this?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/03/2007 10:18:52 »
I would think because of the vibration in your ear drum that that could mess with your equalibrium some, I am no doctor but I know when my son has had noises that bothered his ears, he tended to eventually feel bad almost light headed and sick like he had been watching a conveyor belt full of little things go buy him. If you have ever worked on a line you will know what I mean. kind of nausiating. if your ears get infected or have a problem I know it can throw things off but don't know why exactly, but that would have been my guess!
« Last Edit: 28/03/2007 10:20:39 by Karen W. »

Offline Negin -(Universe)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/03/2007 16:37:15 »
It is not something I have noticed, how loud does it have to be? When have you observed this?

sometimes when we experiment in our physics lab we use an oscilloscope and usually change the frequency of the signal generated. when the frequency is very low i.e. high pitched sound all the students agree on feeling sick after a while. Ive noticed that loudness doesn't have the same effect

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 28/03/2007 16:37:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums