The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How are bacteriophages used as antibiotics, to kill bacteria?  (Read 69364 times)

Offline phdkso

• View Profile
How are bacteriophages used as antibiotics, to kill bacteria?
« Reply #50 on: 27/05/2007 00:20:24 »
If you are interested in phage therapy take a look at this website as it develops - http://www.amazingphage.info/ [nofollow]

Offline NakedScientist

• View Profile
    • http://www.thenakedscientists.com
« Reply #51 on: 12/06/2007 09:57:03 »
Here's an article by Thomas Hausler about the history and use of bacteriophages to combat bacterial infections:

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/articles/article/virusesvssuperbugs/

TNS

Offline phdkso

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 03/12/2007 02:09:49 »
Hi All:

I found the November issue of the Contamination Control Newsletter of considerable interest. As a microbiologist with knowledge of phage therapy and the academics of bullshit ( please see http://bullshitcitynorth.blogspot.com [nofollow] ), I noted  that CDC "guidelines do not rule out the use of organs from donors identified as high risk. The CDC recognizes .... that a patient's risk of dying without a transplant is often much higher than the possible risk of acquiring a disease." (From article entitled Four Transpalnt Patients Contact HIV From Donor Organs) --- Interesting, when we all know that FDA and other Western public health regulatory agencies won't use the same reasoning for phage therapy. The other thing worth noting is that organ transplants are of necessity small batches of medical products tailor-made for one or a small group of patients. Again one of the arguments often spouted against phage therapy is that regulatory agencies don't like small batches of tailor-made drugs or therapeutic products. Clearly such arguments are arbitrary, capricious bullshit or perhaps ueberbullshit if made by experts!

It might be worthy to note the following:  "staph infections, ... cause an estimated 95,000 severe illnesses annually in the U.S. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently calculated that 19,000 Americans are dying of staph infections each year, about 2,000 more than die of AIDS" (from SHERRY JACOBSON / The Dallas Morning News,  November 30, 2007)

Humbug! I rest my case!

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06/01/2008 21:46:56 »
Well for a start there's the problem of tissue penetration. Phages are all well and good if they can reach the site of infection. But in the context of meningitis, for example, where the bugs are within the meninges, access becomes a problem. The antibiotic molecules used are extremely small and have excellent CNS penetration. In the context of a life threatening infection you do not mess around, nor allow the worry of some subsequent diarrhoea influence your choice of therapy.

I've seen a man with bacterial meningitis go from alert, conscious and able to share a joke, to barely rousable with a rash spreading in front of my eyes. Another 30 minutes and he would have been irretrievable. As it was a regular doses of intravenous broadspectrum antibiotics saved his life. And he didn't get any diarrhoea either !

I am a big supporter of phage therapy but everything has its place and it should not be used just because it is new.

(By the way, the inter-bacterial signalling you are referring to, cannnabinoid, is called "quorum sensing".)

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Chris, Would Phage therapy be effective against Mycroplasma pnuemoniae bacteria?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #53 on: 06/01/2008 21:46:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums