The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Tell me about Congestive heart failure/complications from stress and insomnia ?  (Read 91372 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
If one is born with several congenital heart problems later develops Congestive heart failure, which is being compounded by stress, insomnia etc.. What is long time prognosis of such things. These things have been worsened by excessive weight. Have had a substantial weight loss over a years time to help combat these problems, but still need to loose about 90 more pounds.Blood pressure has stablized, no dibetis. Good cholesterol and everything else.. I would like more imformation about the congestive heart failure . I am still having tons of water retention and had an infection in my heart in August which made me very sick. I have hurdled that and my doctor has a lousy bedside manner and speaks in latin so I want to know more about progression of this problem and perhaps optional treatments for said problem.. if there are any! Thanks!!
« Last Edit: 29/03/2007 17:29:42 by Karen W. »

Offline lgic

• View Profile
It sounds to me like you need someone other than this MD to speak to. Many clinics & hospitals now are recongnizing a need for this sort of thing. Does your local medical facility have someone called a patient educator? or patient advocate?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Patient advocate..Yes They offer pretty bleak words .. I was just hoping that maybe there were alternitive solutions etc. etc. 

Thanks though!

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If one is born with several congenital heart problems later develops Congestive heart failure, which is being compounded by stress, insomnia etc.. What is long time prognosis of such things. These things have been worsened by excessive weight. Have had a substantial weight loss over a years time to help combat these problems, but still need to loose about 90 more pounds.Blood pressure has stablized, no dibetis. Good cholesterol and everything else.. I would like more imformation about the congestive heart failure . I am still having tons of water retention and had an infection in my heart in August which made me very sick. I have hurdled that and my doctor has a lousy bedside manner and speaks in latin so I want to know more about progression of this problem and perhaps optional treatments for said problem.. if there are any! Thanks!!

Karen,

if this is not a joke, it's a too much serious problem.
You should go to a good doctor and get properly cured.
It shouldn't be solved by recommendation/suggestions from a forum...even if this one is just fantastic!  Forums have limitations -you know- and uncontrolled Google diagnoses seem to be the first cause of death on this Planet...
Do you remember when you were frantically trying to convince some guy to go and get checked 'cause he had been bitten by a silly dog and thought to get rabies? ;D
Take care

ikod
« Last Edit: 31/03/2007 15:18:06 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
No worries Iko I have been under care all my life. Still am under doctors care. I just want to know if there are optional treatments my doctors do not know about. I live in the sticks and sometimes treatments vary if you go to the big city. My first surgeries were done in San Francisco many years ago. Successive surgeries done here locally by special surgeons flown in to do them. Certainly no Joke.
  I just want to know about all the alternitives. That is if there are any. Medications and surgeries seem to have been helpful. I feel good most of the time. I am not looking for diagnosis I have already been diagnosed. I just want to know what more to expect if these treatments have not worked. You know what I mean? Are There alternatives to surgeries and medications. I have worked hard on the weight loss and have done well. I have some more to loose, but worry that when I get it off, is that really going to make a difference. See my Doctor is very vague about that.

Without delving to deeply into my own treatments and health care, I was hoping that I could find out what the most current treatments are and compare them to what I have had and see if they are up to date and on par with the newest technology. I am the first to say I don't understand all of the defects that I was born with and have had corrective surgeries over the years to fix them. I would not have been here without them. So The new methods of treatment would be nice to hear about.

Thanks IKO, and yes I do remember trying to get him to be checked LOL.. Thanks for the reminder! I have been checked zillions of times and really don't know what if anything else can be done as my doctors seem to think that it's all been done. They should know best. You know when you don't like the results of something, you tend to try to look around to see if anyone else has had better success with alternative treatments. I have read Lots about my problem, but I guess I just don't have the greatest understanding of it.

Thanks so much..all is good IKO.. Just feel like I need to investigate alternitives more, you know. I have no intention of stoping my treatment. Most of which is finished. I just want to be more educated about my problems.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
... I am still having tons of water retention and had an infection in my heart in August which made me very sick. I have hurdled that and my doctor has a lousy bedside manner and speaks in latin so I want to know more about progression of this problem and perhaps optional treatments for said problem.. if there are any! Thanks!!

This is what worries me: I have a fixed 'infectious' idea in my mind as all of you probably know.
'Fastidious' germs that manage to give a blood infection stick to cardiac valves and to the inner surface of the heart (endocardium).  Some don't give any fever or major symptoms but damage the heart bite by bite.  Did you get all your blood checks (cultures for bugs) and antibiotics, or you stopped because you felt just fine?   ;D

Actually it's not my business...and I'm not your expert either!
Take care

ikod
« Last Edit: 31/03/2007 18:12:06 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I did get all of that. And two huge rounds of antibiotics as the first round did not get it. and I started to get sick again. So I had a second go with the antibiotics. The doctor said it is clear now. So I believe  he got it. I finished all of my meds for that.

I do keep having the swelling so he put me on some sort of diaretic for it, but if I miss one or two of them I find myself in a bit of a mess as far as everything swelling up. So I have to keep on a regular cycle with those medicines.. my blood pressure has been 114 over 80 so he said that was good.

Iko I wouldn't have posted if it bothered me. I will keep some things private, but this is just ok stuff. I know, but thanks for the comments.

I had had a surgery in March or so last year, and then seemed like I became more and more tired. One morning months later in august I woke up all swollen all over and could barely walk. My toes had become lost under the swollen feet! LOL I knew then something was wrong. I had no fever or anything, just felt weak worn out and more tird then I have ever been. I drove myself to the hospital and that's when I found out about the infection. He said I was fortunante that it could have been a lot worse!

So if he has done all the treatments correctly, I should be ok. The doctors are runing regular blood tests to moitor everything! So far so good as far as the infection goes.
« Last Edit: 31/03/2007 18:36:28 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
WELL SCIENCE AND MEDICAL FRIENDS.. I WOKE UP TODAY  WITH A STRANGE

PHENOMENON  FROM THE CENTER TO TIP OVER TO THE LEFT SIDE OF MY TONGUE

SEEMS TO BE NUMB AND FUZZY FEELING. IT IS SORE ABOUT MIDWAY DOWN TOWARDS 

TIP.I HAVE NOT BITTEN IT. I HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO THREE CASES OF STREP 

THROAT THIS LAST TWO WEEKS HAVE FELT TIRED AND PHELGMY WITH COUGH ..                                           

JUST KIND A ICKY. I DON'T KNOW WHAT STREP THROAT FEELS LIKE OR IF IT

INVOLVES ONES TONGUE.... ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS.. lOL.. THANKS!
« Last Edit: 26/05/2007 18:30:17 by BenV »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
I hope you are going to be okay? 

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I would think so but it seems weird I have never had half of me tongue go numb before! it is as if the surface is fuzzy and numb but inside the tongue is sore,.. Very weird!

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

SEEMS TO BE NUMB
AND FUZZY FEELING.

Hi KarenW my frienda,

are you feeling better already?
For an almost-lethal e-diagnosis
please answer the following questions:

- Did you have your blood pressure checked recently?
- Eye pupils: same size and shape both sides?
- Are you taking any medications or 'natural' poisons?

Cheers,

ikod   ;)
« Last Edit: 26/05/2007 15:06:53 by iko »

Offline benep

• View Profile
you may have just eaten/ drank something your tounge didnt agree with

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

SEEMS TO BE NUMB
AND FUZZY FEELING.

Hi KarenW my frienda, HI Iko My Friend

are you feeling better already?Well I just woke up again, and it is oh about 8:50 am.. my tongue is still numb and fuzzy and sore..

For an almost-lethal e-diagnosis LOL.. Thanks IKO
please answer the following questions: OKIe dokie!

- Did you have your blood pressure checked recently? Yepperoo..110 over 80
- Eye pupils: same size and shape both sides? YES same size and shape

- Are you taking any medications or 'natural' poisons? Medications, Yes.

Cheers, Thanks IKO.. Do me need to go back to the doc..?

ikod   ;)  Karen

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hi Karen,

Yes, it's better to see your doc
and rule out any trouble that makes
you feel dizzy and have 'paresthesias'
on one side of your tongue.
Some nerves may not work 100% and this
can be only temporarily, better check
it out anyway.
I know doctors are booooring   ;D
Take care & let us know

ikod

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks Iko .. I will go,, I just am kind  sick of going to the doctors.. HEE HEE.. But I must say waking up with what feels like half of a  fuzzy tongue is odd feeling.. Thanks will make another trip in..this week..My whole left side is feeling kinda weird even the skin on me head on the left,,kind of funky numby like when your arm goes to sleep. My shoulder is killing me about halfway down my arm ino my elbow.. LOL I thought I might have a pinched nerve but I don't know..

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I DO NOT wish to diagnose this but the experience I have had with arthritis of the jaw says the trigeminal nerve on the left side is compromised in some way. Be glad it doesn't hurt. That is called trigeminal neuralgia and is nick-named the Suicide Disease it hurts so bad.

Go to the doctor to be sure.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I will go check it out this week. Thanks Jimbob!

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Thanks Iko .. I will go,, I just am kind  sick of going to the doctors.. HEE HEE.. But I must say waking up with what feels like half of a  fuzzy tongue is odd feeling.. Thanks will make another trip in..this week..My whole left side is feeling kinda weird even the skin on me head on the left,,kind of funky numby like when your arm goes to sleep. My shoulder is killing me about halfway down my arm ino my elbow.. LOL I thought I might have a pinched nerve but I don't know..

Not this week. Now!
Tell these very symptoms to a real doctor,
not through the web to a bunch of...
Please
« Last Edit: 26/05/2007 23:46:06 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
ok..Thanks

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

Not this week. Now!
Please

IN all seriousness IKO I need to thank you for sending me as I would have waited until next week.. I have been at the hospital since about 20 minutes or so after you told me to go and I saw your message at Midnight approximately so left about twenty minutes later and was there until 9:56 PM my time  6:00 am Your time..  I have had cat scans blood work exrays iv's with medication and ekg's, I had a mini stroke today and he has put me on a regime of aspirins and potassium as I was real low. I have a battery of other tests he has to do.. checked more .. and found my heart has enlarged more then the last check.. He said my blood tests were good my cat scan is really good but I have a pretty bad loss of use on my left arm.. feels very weak. face is still tingly and and weird . he wants me to stay close to the hospital till we get all the other tests done.. so i Will. He said if I had a full blown stroke time was critical to getting help!

There is nothing more I can say except thank you IKO thank you for giving me some extra time..

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Good show Karen!
You trusted your webfriend Ikod and went streight away to check the weekend-night
efficiency of your Health Care System! You are such a brave lady!
I wish you a quick recovery: the new magic medical tools we have these days (aspirin) make miracles in the tiny arteries of our brain.
I was worried after having posted my message to you, because you just disappeared from the NKS screen, and it was quite unusual for that hour.
I hoped you were following my suggestion, and you actually did!
I am sure you realized that it was the strangest feeling ever and could have been a more serious thing.
You took it on time for a perfect recovery.
Over 12 years ago my mum had a mini-stroke worse than yours and it never recurred: she is on low-dose daily aspirin ever since (plus 1caps. cod liver oil of course!).
Probably you have to relax and sleep more...no more NSForum intoxication!   ;D
Take care

ikod
« Last Edit: 27/05/2007 17:35:53 by iko »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Not this week. Now!
Please

IN all seriousness IKO I need to thank you for sending me as I would have waited until next week.. I have been at the hospital since about 20 minutes or so after you told me to go and I saw your message at Midnight approximately so left about twenty minutes later and was there until 9:56 PM my time  6:00 am Your time..  I have had cat scans blood work exrays iv's with medication and ekg's, I had a mini stroke today and he has put me on a regime of aspirins and potassium as I was real low. I have a battery of other tests he has to do.. checked more .. and found my heart has enlarged more then the last check.. He said my blood tests were good my cat scan is really good but I have a pretty bad loss of use on my left arm.. feels very weak. face is still tingly and and weird . he wants me to stay close to the hospital till we get all the other tests done.. so i Will. He said if I had a full blown stroke time was critical to getting help!

There is nothing more I can say except thank you IKO thank you for giving me some extra time..

OMG!  Are you at home?  Is the hospital not holding you there for observation?  What caused this to happen?  The new meds that you are taking for nausea? 

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I am Home. I have to go back in for a check today. He said I live close enough to get there fast if I were to have a full blown stroke.. He said That some controversial blood clot busting medication would have to be administered within 90 minutes of onset for them to be of any help. He said thousands of doctors swear by this medication.. but thousands say it is not worth the risk.. The medication is also known to kill the patient !! OH Boy..Makes me nervous..Just a bit..

I pray It doesn't happen. He said less stress no smoking drinking etc etc.. I don't do those things anyway.. Less stress and try to relax.. I am trying to relax!

He said The arteries in your neck can become lined with plaque like cholesterol build up, which blocks blood flow.. so more tests and an Ultra sound on my neck and my heart next week.
along with a myriad of other tests including a second cat scan . They did a brain scan yesterday,, but said after ex-rays he feels we need a body scan.. so OK I get to take a nap in a little tube... ... We will see how I do.. Pretty small tube they put you in.... He My cholesterol was good my bloodwork was good so far have to have some more, My blood pressure had shot out the roof with my meds.. urine was good and I do not have any form of diabetis which I already new, but my potassium was bad , he thinks because I have had such a irritable tummy lately kids have all been sick at school and I have had the problems with loose stools for several weeks.. and nausea from other meds.. He put me back on beta blocker.. and is going to try to decrease some meds to see if that will help. He said there are some combo meds that would help cut back the amount of pills I have to take..
I quite honestly feel kinda bad. My recollection of different parts of my day yesterday are kind a vague And I feel a bit confused about everything that happened.. I was already confused and things were not making a lot of sense yesterday as it was.. LOL   

Again IKo THanks  SO Very Much and you are right.. It was some odd things that I was feeling yesterday The only pain was my left arm it has hurt me before on many occasions. I did wake up with a funky headache that went away right away on both days..they went away fast, so I did not think about it further.. The fuzzy numb tongue and side of me face and head are what felt so strange...Still feel that a little on me tongue today but much better!

As I type this I realize I am sitting up in my chair and leaning to the left.. as my left arm is not working like it should..He said we will work on it!
I'll know more later this week!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Girlie get you some rest!  Good Grief!!! Take care of yourself...I still can't believe the hospital did not keep you overnight or at least 24hrs for observation...ministrokes aren't too bad, but I had a friend who had an onset of them 3 or 4 in a row in one day...just mini ones...they kept her in the hospital for 24hrs after she arrived at the hospital.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Girlie get you some rest!  Good Grief!!! Take care of yourself...I still can't believe the hospital did not keep you overnight or at least 24hrs for observation...mini strokes aren't too bad, but I had a friend who had an onset of them 3 or 4 in a row in one day...just mini ones...they kept her in the hospital for 24hrs after she arrived at the hospital.

Well I don't know what to say, They sent home medicated and ready to come back in the morning. I still have an Id on my arm for 72 hours to help administer medication should I have to have an ambulance ride back in in the next couple days! I think That is weird but Oh well. I am just about 10 minutes from the hospital so he said if anything worsened or new happened to call 911.. Kids are away for Holiday, so I will keep my phone on me.. It is in my pocket right now.. No problems.. I feel real tired still a bit numb on me tongue but some better. Arm is still hurting but I have'nt taken pain med yet.
« Last Edit: 27/05/2007 18:44:22 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums