The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Tell me about Congestive heart failure/complications from stress and insomnia ?  (Read 91418 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I have 2 inch high square cement blocks and help this morning to carry them , so are sturdy, how many two inch 12x12 inch blocks do I need? on each foot at the head of the bed?

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Begin with 3 blocks giving you six inch incline under head end of the bed, wrap blocks in plastic bag to hide what they are and look for some wooden blocks later as they will be easy to move around.

After 4 weeks add the extra 2 inches with another concrete block or by now you may have obtained some off-cuts from a local saw mill or timber yard.

From the first night you will notices some significant differences, however this is usually more effective over a long period helping you to breath better, lowering your heart rate, improving your blood pressure, breathing more deeply and less frequently even after the first night is not uncommon.

When you feel that you are able to do more exercise, please remember to take it easy to begin with.

As you have an edema problem already, there might be an initial shift of fluids towards the ankles. This usually resolves within 4 weeks. You should find sleeping a bit easier also within the first few days, though it may feel a little weird at first. Take an old duvet or bed quilt or eiderdown depending on what you guys call it and wrap it around the mattress, tucking it under the mattress, the idea is that this will add additional friction and comfort preventing you from sliding down the bed.

We use a memory foam mattress now and find this is much better. But you need to become confident that this is the way forward before investing a single cent in a new mattress and probably may find the one you use is just fine.

To speed up the loss of water retention via urine output, a of glass water with freshly squeezed lemon juice during the day and a few cups of stinging nettle tea will have you visiting the bathroom more frequently and aid the return of slender looking ankles.

I enjoy your posts Karen and think your bubbly personality does our forum a great service and want to make sure you continue to enjoy the NS forum for many years to come.

Andrew

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks Andrew.. and I will get the bed up today!
My ankles are incredibly swollen Little footballs with the tiniest stubs showing at the end! LOL...

I hope they don't swell anymore cause they are already hurting from the skin being so swollen!

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Can you take some pictures of your hands and toes and post them for us so we can witness any changes as they happen, also take some measurements around your ankles and wrists etc and make a note of them for comparison in 6 weeks time.

Thanks Andrew.. and I will get the bed up today!
My ankles are incredibly swollen Little footballs with the tiniest stubs showing at the end! LOL...

I hope they don't swell anymore cause they are already hurting from the skin being so swollen!

« Last Edit: 02/11/2007 18:27:00 by Andrew K Fletcher »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
my hands are good, a bit puffy, my face and anlkes knees and feet are worse..

Offline Alandriel

• View Profile
    • Some of my photography
and another

I just read up this whole thread........

"What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve."

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
  BOY oh Boy... LOL You did a lot of reading!! Thanks Alandriel I sure hope thats true!

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
You know what House would say?  LOL.. does anyone actually watch House.. well he would suggest Lupus because he always suggests Lupus.  Of course for him it never actually is although Lupus does in fact cause swollen fingers in the morning although they are usually stiff and slightly painful at the same time.

...we DO need some Dr. House right now!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Yes that would be nice... I had my feet up quite a lot today.. I have the swelling down some but not much.. I can at least see toes now... but they have already begun to swell again.. I have my Sis coming today and I really want to go see her.. so I am trying to keep my feet up and swelling down so I can walk better , with shoes on!! Here are the piccy's I just took, vast improvement from earlier but still quite swollen!

It would do to see house right now!!

After compression stocking is removed, Still swollen and more painful!

Swelling at my kneecaps.. barely see I have a kneecap at all!

Both legs, calves and ankle after stocking removed.. still swollen and circulation awful from stockings!

Right leg and foot 5 minutes ago..

Left Leg 10 minutes ago..

Side view of the left leg! Note huge protrusions at ankles..

My hands are not bad so I will not post unless you think it is helpful.. I have had puffy face lately...
« Last Edit: 02/11/2007 23:49:35 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
2 days blood pressure while taking my METOPROLOL SUC ER 100 MG ER ALONG WITH
TRIAMTERINE/HCTZ 37.5/25 CAPS FOR SWELLING ETC..NOV.1

YESTERDAY!

177/105 PULSE 79 MORNING UPON WAKING 4:30 AM

198/109 PULSE 82 11:00AM 4 HOURS AFTER MY MEDS AT 7:00 AM

158/120 PULSE 89 AT ABOUT 4:00 PM

215/140 PULSE 85 8:30 PM

99/46 PULSE 38 I FELT CRUDY! 11:00PM

0CT. 31, 2007

202/128 PULSE 76   5:00 AM

202/134 PULSE 72   7:00 AM  RIGHT AFTER MEDS

178/128 PULSE 76  11:00 AM

172/115 PULSE 61   4:00 PM

135/83 PULSE 76    8:30 PM

130/78 PULSE 71   11:OO PM

I TRY TO MONITOR AT ABOUT THE SAME TIME EACH DAY!

« Last Edit: 02/11/2007 23:51:59 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I forgot to measure my ankles this morning but will measure them now!

14 inches left ankle or 36 centimeters [10 and 1/4 inches top right foot or 26 centimeters]
13 and 1/4 inches right ankle or 34 centimeters  [Left top foot below toe 11 inches or 28 centimeters]

14 and 1/2 inches 2 inches above right ankle =37 and 3/4 centimeters approxinmitely
25 and 1/4 inches above right knee = 64 centimeters

15 inches 2 inches above left ankle
23 inches around top of left knee= 58 and 1/2 centimeters

OK, Bed is raised slightly more then 6 inches, 7 and 1/2 inches as I was off on block measurement.. Bob left the rollers on. Surely I will ask him tomorrow to come take off casters.. doesn't seem safe up there on casters.

BOY it is tall! LOL It is 1:26 am and I am going to make a stab at it tonight! I will let you know!

Night All Iko, Andrew,..and friends of swollen foot girl of misery! LOL.. Hopefully not for long! Hugs you all sleep well to you out there!

« Last Edit: 03/11/2007 08:28:24 by Karen W. »

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
While using a compression stocking reduces the swelling by increasing the tissue fluid pressure higher than the pressure inside the veins so that fluid is forced both into the veins and to other areas of the body, it does not address why the pressure inside the vein increased to a higher level than the surrounding tissue in the first place and therefore at best will serve to visibly reduce the fluid in the tissue during and shortly after use.

But there is a trade off for this and you may be able to record it with your BP machine. I suspect that increasing the pressure of the tissue surrounding the veins that are currently leeching out fluids due to increased internal pressure may increase your blood pressure, and this could be contributing to your recent renal problems.

However, as Inclined Bed Therapy (IBT) has been shown to reduce the pressure inside the veins, evident by improvements in varicosity over 4 weeks using IBT, using a pressure stocking in conjunction with IBT, again use your BP machine to check this out, may not increase your overall blood pressure by the same degree as a flat bed will do.

Flicking back through the thread, I have observed a pattern and suspect if you reflect on it more and elaborate you may relate that many of your problems have been during the night while sleeping or simply resting on a flat bed, and you mention waking up often somewhat worse for flat bed rest a number of times.

My research over many years has confirmed this pattern fits with many medical conditions, some very serious.

If you re-read what I posted about my Father’s demise in hospital you will see what happened when the hospital put his bed flat and more to the point what happened when we forced them to tilt his bed.

You have done a great job with the pictures and the readings, thank you Karen.

Now we need to hear how your first night sleeping inclined was.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Ok.. Goodmorning... Well the first thing I noticed was I slept from 1:00 til 6:47AM which for me even with my cpap is good. 5 hours 29 minutes give or take a few moments!

I did wake up because my cpap was soaking my face and making my nose cold and I was stuffed up,  and if you don't know it is almost impossible to use the cpap when you are totally blocked as you cannot breath well through your mouth... Fortunately I had some air movement last night so I just felt stuffy!

Second thing I noticed, I woke up yawning, which for me is unusual as I yawn very little. and when I sat up in bed, I was not light headed as I am usually in the morning..

I dangled my feet glanced down and the swelling was still there but I had less discomfot in the tops of my feet then I usually have in the morning.

I stood up without having to hold on to my big shoe organiser! LOL.. I had to go to the loo. of course.. This was way different. I struggled to urinate this morning.. My bladder was full and hurt, but usually you sit and boom you urinate this was difficult this morning and I wonder if it has to do with my kidneys not working right or the incline.. I had to physically strain to urinate and it would not come out in a full shot It was as if I had to strain  release strain release again and again in order to empty my bladder. This has happened before a very long time agao as I recall, I was sick with and infection at that time.. (kidneys or bladder) I can't remember... Well when I was done there was not that usual sigh of relief after wards.. I felt I still needed to go.. Still do, but can't! LOL

I then came in here I feel pretty good seeing that I am just now taking my meds! And my first reading of the day!

Here it is! \

WOW!!

7:08 am  120/79 pulse 58  YAYYYYYYYYYY! That is actually way good for the norm at this time of the morning!

That is a nice pressure although the doc would like to see the bottom number a tad lower.*smiles*
Anyway so far so good and I am still yawning and thirsty! LOL.. I will see how it goes again.. later. I have been napping on and off since my cpap machine so I will be in bed several times.. during the day. sometimes 20 or 30 minutes sometimes longer... depends on my brain .. dosing off has become normal, especially when my blood pressure shoots up and really bad when it drops really low like around 100/50  or so.. Then it worries me cause I get to feeling really bad and it doesn't feel like sleep but more like passing out!

See you later today... So far ok.. feel good.. urinating thing was odd, but perhaps part of the kidney problem that I have not been able to see until now.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Just in case anyone thinks this change in blood pressure is luck and merely a chance event. I have included one previous case history from a man paralysed in 1977 with a comple cord injury.

Inclined bed results...so far

I have been using Andrew K. Fletcher's theory of the inclined bed for a week now and we are still encouraged by what we are seeing. My skin tone continues to look good and my blood pressure fluctuations are not as severe. These fluctuations ranged from as high as 232 to a low of 39 systolic and as high as 124 to a low of 26 diastolic prior to the study.

There has been little or no swelling in my legs or feet. Two sores on my right foot, that have been there approximately a month, are healing up nicely.

It hasn't been easy. I have had a few rough times but overall, so far, we have had positive and encouraging results.

I will continue to post more results as they happen.

John

I have been using the inclined bed for 8 weeks now. I have had no swelling in my arms or legs. My skin tone remains very good. Have had noticeable muscle tone in my legs. I am unable to get out of bed because of 2 dislocated hips and have experienced increased pain over the period of this study. I do not have surface sensitivity but I have had an increased sensation in my internal abdominal area. As I mentioned before, my blood pressure was very erratic but since starting the study it has begun to stabilize. Here is a sample of my blood pressures from the week of 7/8 to 7/14. These are daily averages compiled from all BPs recorded that week:7/8

82/55 Week 7/9 98/66 Week 7/10 98/60 Week 7/11 96/61 Week 7/12 103/67 Week 7/13 94/61 Week 7/14 101/64 Although my diastolic still does, at times, dip into the high 30s and low 40s. This is a dramatic and a much welcomed improvement. I had intended to post more recent updates but was discouraged by all of the negative response and scepticism. I am a C3-C4 quad since 1977 and if there is anyone that should be sceptical about this theory, it should be me. All of Andrew's critics want scientific proof of one thing or another. Not all medications and/or therapies work for all people. If that were not so, then no one would suffer. John

It's been 10 weeks on the incline now and we are beginning to see more changes.I am experiencing greater sensitivity in my biceps. I previously had slight sensation in my left bicep and none in my right bicep. After a few tests, I was able to feel the cold of an ice cube for the first time since the accident in 1977 (although, I was unable to detect heat). Also, tested with dull and sharp objects and was able to distinguish between the two. I am sleeping much better and longer at night. Blood pressures are remaining much more stable. Pain levels have increased but with pain medication, they are tolerable.
 John

Posts: 9    Well it's been 3 months since starting this study and we are very encouraged. We are seeing even more changes. I can now feel from my shoulders to my biceps. Although, it is not a full, normal sensation. The surface sensitivity is about 75% now. My sensitivity has moved from 3 inches above the nipple line to just below the nipples. There is a small area in the middle of my back that I can feel pressure when pressed upon.We have also noticed an increase in body hair. My pain level has remained the same. Most days I can get away with taking minimal pain medication. John

Date of injury May 22, 1977 Level of injury C3-C4
http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?p=89748#post89748
« Last Edit: 03/11/2007 19:08:08 by Andrew K Fletcher »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
It was a huge day today and I was wiped out when I got home.

At 11:00 am blood pressure was 163/108 pulse 60. At 4:00 I was a t a family gathering so I did not check it..When I got home I waited til 8:30 and then it was 161/103 pulse 54.

11;00pm it was 169/115 pulse 61. I am about to take it again as I am heading to bed it is 2:22 AM  pressure is: 144/100 pulse 60.. It was a big day and I am having a doozie of a time trying to relax enough to sleep. I have been drinking plenty of fluids and still having lots of unproductive trips to the loo! We will see what the morrow brings!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Good morning.. I slept rotten just antsy all night but I did sleep, ..Then I realized part of the reason was I forgot my cpap mask! LOL No wonder.. Tonight will be better.
Also I was up and down 5 times to use the loo. My urination has increased again and I am going often. It is still strong but last night the color was better and closer to normal color Just like a strong yellow no red or darker brown.. but still darker and kinda cloudy looking.I go in to get more meds today and will speak to Dr. about the whole test and the kidneys again.

My blood pressure is great this morning ...120/64 pulse 61. I feel pretty good. I had bob wrap my legs last night. he got my right leg wrapped too tight and I had to take the bandage off. Otherwise my swelling is down a tiny bit but still swollen!

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Thanks for the update. Glad your water works are recovering again. 5 times to the loo with a full bladder? If so this indicates that you are drawing fluids from your swollen limbs and if this is the case, as I suspect it may be, then you should be able to use the measurements you took to determine this. IBT brings about a detox effect, drawing out excess salts for the tissue fluids and from the blood by improving renal function. I suspect that bathroom visits are going to become more frequent until your edema has cleared up.

Great news that you forgot the cpap, Ill bet you would have remembered it laying flat.

The change in urine output was somewhat disconcerting, and it indicated some sort of blockage or constriction.

Hope you recorded your weight also as this can be a great tool to see how much fluid you are losing over the next month.

Andrew

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks for the update. Glad your water works are recovering again. 5 times to the loo with a full bladder? If so this indicates that you are drawing fluids from your swollen limbs and if this is the case, as I suspect it may be, then you should be able to use the measurements you took to determine this. IBT brings about a detox effect, drawing out excess salts for the tissue fluids and from the blood by improving renal function. I suspect that bathroom visits are going to become more frequent until your edema has cleared up.

Great news that you forgot the cpap, Ill bet you would have remembered it laying flat.

The change in urine output was somewhat disconcerting, and it indicated some sort of blockage or constriction.

Hope you recorded your weight also as this can be a great tool to see how much fluid you are losing over the next month.

Andrew

5 times to the loo and I would say twice there was good elimination and three times felt like woooo hooo I have to go bad but then just a few dribbles..But over all much better then before.
I have forgot my cpap many times as It is pretty new and I am not used to it. But it certainly would have helped me to have slept some longer if I had remembered as well as slept more comfortably.

As far as my weight goes I had gained 22 lbs back over the last few weeks. I had two monthly cycles in October so twice faced swelling and bloating from my monthly. I have lost 8 lbs of that 22 lbs again. I am not dieting just still trying to be careful and drinking more fluids!.. I have not written my weight down as I check it daily and wish to continue so as I do not wish to let it get away from me...

I will post more later..

OK AT 11:00 AM  bLOOD PRESSURE IS 133/80 PULSE 58.

OK THEY ARE DOING THE CT SCAN ANYWAY BUT ALSO ADDING SOMETHING CALLED MUCOMYST IN LIQUID DOSES . 4 DOSES

ONE AT 10:OOPM TONIGHT AN ONE DOSE AT 6:00 AM AND AFTER THE PROCEDURE Tomorrow AT 2:00PM AND AGAIN AT 10PM TOMORROW NIGHT. They said it will protect the kidneys and will be perfectly safe. So he wants to do The test anyway! I am a bit nervous.. But will do what I am asked..

check in 8:30 prep for test pre register for shortstay then ct scan at 1:00 pm..
« Last Edit: 10/07/2016 12:39:34 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
New pictures Less swelling space between my toes! YAYYYYYYYYYYY! !rst piccy's Nov. 2nd ! These are 5 days later on Nov. 7th 2007.

There is still swelling in my left leg but it has gone way down. not near as stiff!

Even the color is getting better. The left foot is way less uncomforable..

Check back later!
« Last Edit: 07/11/2007 20:18:04 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
 Is there a way to build up blood veins for Iv's and blood draws?

The reason I ask is that I have been in and out of the hospital for the last two weeks on and off Iv's getting blood draws and having fluids and things put in and fluids and things taken..LOL Basically an oil change.. Heres my question as I have progressed and the blood draws have increased along with multiple iv's I and the hospital staff have decided that my veins are deciding to hide whenever a nurse or phlebotomist comes near! LOL.. It is becoming increasingly hard and extremely more painful to draw blood or even find the vein with each visit.

Now years ago my mom was dying of cancer and this happened to her, they said her veins were collapsing.. I think I recall an oncology nurse telling her to start squeezing a tennis ball or Cush ball several sessions a day to build muscle and pump  up veins to make them more accessible. Is this true will it help to avoid this kind of thing. I have severe ones on the inside of my thigh upper arms near elbow joints etc etc. I am bruising like crazy...These are very mild compared with some other ones I have had lately..

Here are the piccy's.. any suggestions would be most welcome right now as my hands are really sore when I rub them against things.. feels as if the iv is still in there but more sore now then the actual event!

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Thanks for adding this post here. IBT causes varicose veins to get smaller markedly over a 4 week period, because it increases the negative tension in the veins and pulls them in, first observed with varicose veins in my wife, mother and father and 2 nurses in Torbay. I did predict this would happen if you recall. Any photographs of your veins from over 2 weeks ago prior to tilting your bed?

veins showing signs of reduced pressure is not necesarily a negative result and may be a really good sign that fluid is now flowing from the surrounding tissue into the venous return instead of flowing out as before because the pressure inside the veins was too high.

Another explanation is observed when people have too many injections in a vein, this can indeed cause the veins to be reduced in size, put the two together and we have an answer.

One suggestion is to ask if these constant blood samples are in any way going to improve your level of care. Ask if any medication they are giving you is going to cause additional damage to your kidneys. Check out know side effects for all your medication and see if there are any adverse interactions with other drugs you are taking.

Karen, take control of your own health, please ask questions before adding more and more medication, try asking if it is possible to go in the other direction and reduce some of your mediaction. Begin by asking yourself if you feel your edema is getting worse or better since you tilted the bed. Has your weight changed over the last week? How is your urine colour now?

Andrew

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I question every drug they give me.. Last week was no exception and it was either take it or get worse I took it!.. I was to the point the swelling was down in the mornings and back in evening worse..I was having trouble walking!

The right leg is way down today I felt terrific yesterday so far today also. My left leg and foot are still way swollen cannot wear my shoes or slippers.. I have two pair of accommodating socks that are trying to keep me feet warm.. LOL

My Neighbor died whilst I was in the hospital a few days ago so funeral is today. I need to be there I have known him and his wife and son since sons birth and known his DAD since I was 7 years old.. Knew his mom since they met when he was a older 28 or 29 year old.. they met late in his life.. but have never parted..

Anyway I am trying to rest more even though I hate being in bed but that was the order passed down.. Bed rest.. I was on too long yesterday.. and will do better today....

Thanks Andrew! I will and have been very proactive in trying to research all of my problems.. and meds!
« Last Edit: 11/09/2009 11:39:20 by Karen W. »

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Peter Lewis a vascular surgeon formerly from Torbay Hospital confirmed the efficacy of IBT theory when he encountered a women with acute oedema that did not respond to normal bed rest, raising her legs, or a barrage of drugs, in fact she was worsening. She eventually avoided a flat bed in favour of an inclined posture and her oedema resolved over a few weeks. Peter now believes this theory is correct and is not alone among the medical profession who are beginning to realise that the current literature might be in need of an overhaul.

It is very interesting, "or should be very interesting" to people working in the health industry that your swelling in your legs and feet and hands now goes down over night. Especially since your bed is now on an incline with the head end of the bed higher than the feet. Oedema is currently thought to be because the legs are lower than the heart, this is clearly not the case here. Bring this to the attention of your doctor Karen.

Rather than having more bedrest it would be better to analyse how you are sitting during the day. Sitting posture reduces venous return and therefore increases pressure in the veins due to restrictions cause through compression on the skin. Sitting with the upper part of the body elevated, while in bed as in the hospitals, compresses the spine causing backache and other complications over time. It also compresses the muscle and fatty tissue in the buttocks, which restricts the vessels and increases blood pressure. This prolonged sitting posture is not natural to physiology, and I believe is responsible for many pressure sores in hospitals, whereas the inclined posture distributes the weight differently, noticeable by the bed feeling somewhat softer. It was argued a while back that sheer forces on the skin caused by the incline might cause bed sores. However this has not been proven. In fact bed sores have healed on the inclined bed whereas they break down on a flat bed. Granted, if a more acute angle than 6 degrees is used them there might be significant sheer forces involved. Which is why the 5 – 6 degree angle has been adopted.

Andrew
« Last Edit: 13/11/2007 11:57:44 by Andrew K Fletcher »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks for this new information. I am happy to try new things in search of a more effective way to combat this swelling. Thank you Andrew!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
karen my cousin has cystic fibrosis and after her third hospital visit in a month they had to put in a permanent port iv thing. they could no longer use her arms because the veins were weakened to a dangerous point. so... i don't think they would have put that in an eighteen year old if there was a way to just strengthen the veins. but i could be wrong

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums