The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Tell me about Congestive heart failure/complications from stress and insomnia ?  (Read 91411 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks Kadie.. I know when mom did her kemo they had her squeeze a ball in each hand.. in hopes that it would help but I can't remember if it did I wa in auto pilotback then.. It wa a really bad time... I was in crisis she was in crisis and I don't remember things like I should have..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
OK something that is happening the last few days and wonder if it could be kidney relate.. I generally have clear skin... you all have seen my face.. the this last week I have broken out with a couple big spots on my face area...not pretty bigger then your average pimple..LOL I am cleansing them thoroughly but have noticed they seem to have more fluid like substance under them..I scratched one the other day and I lightly squeezed it out and it seems better. You know like if you get a small shard of glass in your foot it gets fluid around it then hurts. It was large and taught so when I squeezed it came out as a whitish looking core.. now it is healing but.. very weird as I am usually pretty clear.. an occasional zit, but not often. It was itching but it felt like it had festered and was sore with a large core.. feels better tonight!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Todays Blood pressure:
November 14, 2007

135/80 70 pulse  6:00 AM

136/81 PULSE 72   7:00 AM 

141/88 PULSE 72  11:00 AM

136/84 PULSE 73   4:00 PM

135/83 PULSE 76    8:30 PM

132/83 PULSE 76   11:OO PM
« Last Edit: 15/11/2007 07:35:43 by Karen W. »

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Karen the change in your blood pressure is quite remarkable and appears to be stabilising now.

How is the oedema shaping up? Urine colour? Output volume? Comments from doctors or nurses?

Could we have some more measurements on your swollen limbs for comparison?

Andrew
« Last Edit: 20/11/2007 15:17:00 by Andrew K Fletcher »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Blood pressure has been up for a couple days again.. Doctor has added lasix to my meds because of the pooling but my feet have not gone down yet although my sleep has been off.  I have had more non sleep nights then sleep.
I am having trouble with my gums bleeding like crazy during brushing and a I have never had that problem before. This is not little it is pretty heavy..We think it may be the aspirin therapy thining the blood! I was at the doctor Friday and back in today.. She will be on call for the weekend and  says they are completely baffled with my illness!!  I know she is trying hard.. Because I see the worry on her own face and not just on mine.. I think she is really tired and worn out! Me too!

Any way.. One blood pressure today was out the roof the other was very good, 116 over something! Very good. Any way I have developed a lump but after being checked today we were pretty certain it is a swollen gland. I might actually be getting sick! Like a cold .... LOL... She just wants to watch it! It developed right upside my thyroid to my right! No worries..YAyyyyyy! Kidney tests last week look good meds worked and they seem to be doing their job again.. she things it was a infection.. but we are also going to continue to monitor that!

My legs have become kinda redish from the knees down and the swelling causes deep denting and pitting with simply crossing my ankles for three minutes. It took an hour to take the dip out of my leg after that! I am also bruising really easily which is worring me.. I am thinking about a problem in the pancreas..  but I could be wrong.. might just be the aspirin again!
Have to go.. Goodnight all!.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Hi Karen

Thanks for the update.

When you first tilted your bed, your legs were swollen and the skin was shiny and taught, indicating that the fluid pressure inside the skin was much higher than that of normal skin. This was exactly the same as dadís skin on his legs. After his bed was inclined, the pressure of the fluids inside the skin was dramatically reduced and the skin could be pushed in to form a dent with light pressure indicating that the problem that was causing the oedema had been addressed. Following this his legs returned to normal size over a few weeks.

After oedema there is often some tissue damage and this can show as bruising or indeed the skin can become more easily bruised.

Normal, (undamaged with good circulation) skin can easily be depressed with light pressure and springs back to normal colour and shape, whereas oedema damaged skin does not readily return to normal shape and colour. If you have ever sprained or broken a limb then you have probably experienced this before like many other people have done from time to time. I can relate exactly to what you are describing having sprained an ankle or wrist on numerous occasions.

The dimpled skin also is indicative of reduced pressure.

Crossing your ankles for 3 minutes? You should never do this as it is dangerous and known to compromise the circulation especially when resting with the legs elevated. We all do it from time to time but getting out of the habit will definitely help you. Something as simple as crossing your legs or sitting for longer periods can dramatically elevate your blood pressure. I suspect that you did sit for too long prior to obtaining the higher blood pressure reading?

Again the reddening skin might also be indicative of improvements rather than deterioration.

If your oedema is worsening or resolving it can easily be determined by before and after weight checks. You should see a difference between the two weight measurements and if you could supply the difference in weights I.E. + or Ė pounds and ounces or kilos and grams we can determine which way the oedema is going.

Great news on the kidney function BTW.

Makes a nice change having someone testing IBT with an inquisitive scientific approach.

Andrew

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Just got this message on youtube about IBT which again shows how effective this simple therapy is.

oldsharkie (13 hours ago) )
My wife and I have been sleeping on an inclined bed (8 inches)about 22 months. During this time my blood pressure has dropped from 160/90 to 130/65 (Ave) with the same dose of 50 mg Atenolol. I no longer snore nor have sleep apnea attacks. After many years of taking Flonase for sinusitis I discontinued the medication 6 months ago with little or no sinus problems now. Night time urination has decreased from half dozen times to once a night. I am 82.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

ok..all a new prblem added to this mess, which may account for more then one of my problems. my Doctor infoms me that Chronic fatigue syndrome is responsible for some of tgis or + may have it backwards that it may stem from all the illness. I know very little about this so will add a new thread to find out more.

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Hi Karen, just a note to ask whether your bed is still tilted. Whether tilted or not could you give us an update on your blood pressure, edema, And if you put the bed flat again the same stats could prove very interesting?

Kind regards

Andrew

Offline Bizzy

• View Profile
Hi Karen

Ive just read through your entire blog. Have you ever considered the possibility that your heart inflammation might not be due to an infection but rather an autoimmune response ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I am not a doctor.. so i am not in the guessing market.. as that just makes me a nervous wreck.. but this CFS autoimmune  is interesting.... I dont know what it is quite yet... read some but will talk to the doctor.....on the 22nd and have somemore blood
tests in the morning tomorrow as something is wrong so she wants tests first thing in the morning....have been awful for a couple days... my pills are not digesting and my pain level is out of control....and my blood pressure is going bup and down... will update later!

Offline Bizzy

• View Profile
Let me put it another way. Have your doctors ever talked about autoimmune disease as being the cause of your heart problems ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Let me put it another way. Have your doctors ever talked about autoimmune disease as being the cause of your heart problems ?

no she has not.. neither has the cardioogist. She has just said at the last appointment that it was playing a part in me being so sick!  but not the reason fo the heart problem.. but probably not helping it. I have another oppointment next week... we will talk then about it.

Offline Bizzy

• View Profile
I think your heart inflammation problems might have been caused by an autoimmune attack rather than infection. It is easy for people and doctors to think infection. Infection tends to be the cause for many illnesses.
Also if doctors think infection then they have an easy tool they can employ, antibiotics. This provides satisfaction to both the doctor and the patient that something is being done. If they think autoimmunity then things start to get very tricky. Autoimmunity is very difficult to test for and address.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
new iodined cat scan done last week or the week before in the emergecy room says that I am in heart failure.   My liver is not able to proceess things kidneys are.still not stable.she put me back on the potassium....because I am low...

what does end stage mean? Is it what I think?
They said they were wrong the first year.. then I thought... well maybe thats good and there might be something else more treatable and now more tests prove they were right the first time...but now it has progressed a lot farther...
so ....even if I qualify for the transplant.. they only do a few a year because.. heart donors are hard to come by...of course ....I have to go.....will post again soon when my head is clear.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
If they got it wrong for a whole year then they owe you big time to fix you NOW !

Please ring them, call them, write them, harass them till you get some appropriate responses as to what they are going to do next !.....this they owe you if they have messed up !!

I think it's safe to say that we are all thinking of you...............

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Karen - I'm at a loss for what to say.  This is maddening!  I cannot imagine what you're going through.

I'm with Neil.  Do whatever you have to do.....be a thorn in their side, a pain in their rearends...whatever it takes for them to take action to effectively help you!

You are in my prayers and my thoughts. 

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
I can only echo the sentiments above and I hope you rest well.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thank you all... I appreciate all your support. I am making every effort to make sure they check and recheck everything.. I am not sure what I am supposed to to next.. She did not say a whole lot more.. but then again, I don't think I could handle any more anyway.. They did some more tests today and blood work again and she wants to do more tests before she settles .. she said she doesn't like all of the different verdicts coming in from Cardiologist and discrepancies at hospital so she is going for more testing as well she says she is sending my cardiologist guy  a courtesy letter to do something or we go to the city probably Stanford for more opinions.
In the mean time.. we are decreasing water to 2 quarts or under to stop the fluid overload .. I already do the under two grams salt thing... They have had me drinking tons of liquids to flush kidneys when they should have decreased it according to the hospital.. but she said my liver and kidneys are not ridding themselves properly of toxins such as the ibuprofen which had built up in the liver..so they switched pain meds.. to a norco, cut my meds back to 12..

DOXYCYCLINE 100MG( ANTIBIOTIC) 1 CAPSULE TWICE DAILY

1/2 TEASPOON OF YEAST DISSOLVED IN 1/4 CUP WATER OR JUICE.. TWICE DAILY

KLOR-CON 8 MEQ (POTASSIUM) TAKE TWO TABLETS DAILY

HYDROCODONE/APAP 5/500 1 OR 2 AT BEDTIME

HYDROCODONE/ APAP 10MG/325MG (MALLINKRODT) [GENERIC NORCO] TAKE 1 PILL EVERY SIX HOURS AS NEEDED FOR PAIN

ASPIRIN 81MG 1 DAILY

METOPROLOL 100MG ER 1 DAILY

LISINOPRIL 10MG

TRIAMETERINE/HCTZ 37.5/25 CAPS 1 DAILY

FUROSEMIDE 40MG TAB ONE A DAY

LEVOXYL TAB 150MCG RXPAK 10# ONE DAILY

CITALOPRAM 2OMG  ONE DAILY

OMEGA-3 ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS ( FISH OIL 1000MG)4 DAILY

THAT IS DOWN FROM BEFORE I HAVE DISCONTINUED SEVERAL MEDICINES OVER THE LAST MONTH.... REVISITING  MORE OR LESS SHE DOESN'T KNOW YET..
« Last Edit: 25/04/2008 03:19:52 by Karen W. »

another_someone

Thank you for the update - at least we still know there is hope (both that you have not given up, and that your doctors have not given up - so hope remains).  As long as you keep posting, we will know you are still fighting.

Have they thought of dialysis to help the kidneys for the time being?
« Last Edit: 25/04/2008 03:21:06 by another_someone »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks George... I am not sure what I am doing right now.. but posting sounds good. I went to the bird santuary today after the hospital and sat there a while.. and watched all the people walking their dogs and themselves.. the sun finally came out and it was warm with a breeze... Rob took the dog for a big walk and gave me some space.. I laid way back in the seat and just played on my phone,I cracked the window to feel the breeze... and the warm sun on my skin... it felt nice.. I have been so bloody cold lately.... I must say... I am awful worried about Nathan.. but more worried about weather I will get to see him again.. He won't be home till September.. Thats along time away.. the way I have been feeling...  You know George, she can't even tell me how long?? You would think for as long as it has been around she could guess.. Early stage  they said  sometimes about 6 years if the patient does well with treatments .. she said everyone is different and it depends on where you are and what kind of damage is already done.. There are many variables.. so she would not be able to say... It seems I have a second aneurysm located now on the descending side which since december has grown from 2.0 to 3.6 in 4 months.. the ascending one is still about the same, 4.5.. so I don't know.. they have noted more chages in the electro cardiogram as well.. more left ventricle trouble.. meaning it has gotten worse and now there is a problem with some kind of right ventricle problems as well..

a few tests were abnormally high.. she said something about lesions.. but I don't remember where as I was too dumbfounded..

Will see next time.. going to see a second surgeon about the left arm on the 1rst.. Second opinion.. then if its the same a new Neurologist to work with my insurance!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
No dialysis as of yet.. she has been managing it with meds and wholisticly first is that the proper term... trying different things.. to try to keep it in range

It has not quit yet and she is hope ful that we can manage it.. or at least that is the impression she gave me.. so I am hoping the same...

Offline Bizzy

• View Profile
I think you are taking an awful lot of medicines and wonder how you can be sure that they are all having a positive effect. Citalopram raises blood serotonin levels which can be dangerous for your heart valves. Omega 3 supplementation is suppose to be good for the heart but I was getting heart symptoms on very large doses. So I think high dose omega 3 might be a double edge sword and might not be good for pre-existing heart conditions.
I recommend that you try and trim off even more drugs and stay on only the most essential, working with your doctor.
« Last Edit: 26/04/2008 13:36:39 by Bizzy »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Those are the most essential! There were many more before.. we have weeded many down due to reactions and side effects etc.... let me tell ya.. the results of not taking them are really unpleasant to say the least.. it only takes me a few days of missed meds to land my butt back in the hospital again in worse condition.. I am working with several Doctors..... Looks like one will either be revisited or another opinion will be had in southern California!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Ok.. I need some advice from any of you Doctor friends..? My cough is really bad which is normal for my condition.. My doctor has said taking my meds is the best way to keep fluid away out of my lungs.. we are trying very short walks and tons of rest.. But regaurdless of the diuretics ace inhibitors beta blockers etc.. My lungs seem to be saturated with fluid. I am sleeping rather sitting up in a chair to breath better at night. I know this is normal for my condition.. my question is .. are their other methods to help relieve this cough and ease it so I can sleep?  The doctors have only sat me up to rest, I am not to lie flat.. But at this point even sitting up I still feel like I am drowning, coughing up and gurgling out frothy clearish white fluid all night long and during most of the day! Is there another position or option to help this.. It is scaring me and also my children..Not to mention the Dog.. who feels a need to be right up in my face every time I cough whining and licking me upside of my head!!!

Any suggestions would be greatly tried and appreciated...Thank you...

OH yeah am Having horrific heartburn but cannot take an antacid with my pills.. any suggestions there?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums