The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Tell me about Congestive heart failure/complications from stress and insomnia ?  (Read 91525 times)

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Girlie get you some rest!  Good Grief!!! Take care of yourself...I still can't believe the hospital did not keep you overnight or at least 24hrs for observation...mini strokes aren't too bad, but I had a friend who had an onset of them 3 or 4 in a row in one day...just mini ones...they kept her in the hospital for 24hrs after she arrived at the hospital.

Well I don't know what to say, They sent home medicated and ready to come back in the morning. I still have an Id on my arm for 72 hours to help administer medication should I have to have an ambulance ride back in in the next couple days! I think That is weird but Oh well. I am just about 10 minutes from the hospital so he said if anything worsened or new happened to call 911.. Kids are away for Holiday, so I will keep my phone on me.. It is in my pocket right now.. No problems.. I feel real tired still a bit numb on me tongue but some better. Arm is still hurting but I have'nt taken pain med yet.

Hi Karen!

What a day you had!
If they sent you home to relax better is because you can do it safely.
Hospital stay is a major cause of stress and should be minimized.
BTW were do you live? Which Hospital is taking care of you so efficiently?
I'm interested to find this out...you never know!
I wish you a quick recovery and hope you won't overwork at least in this forum.
Hope your family is taking care of this almost-impossible-to-get RELAX and some sleep!
We'll keep you company through the net: you'll never be alone.
Cheers,

ikod
« Last Edit: 27/05/2007 19:00:49 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
It was Mad river Community Hospital.. I am in California.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hey Iko Why would he want a ultra sound of my heart.. he said he already seen that it was slightly inlarged ..I already new that from my own doctor. I am not sure I understand what that means but anyway! Thats what he said..
« Last Edit: 24/03/2009 04:36:41 by Karen W. »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Wow!
My sister in law lives in Pasadena and my younger son wants to go there for good!
Is it far away from you? I'll check this out on Google Earth and spot KarenW!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Wow!
My sister in law lives in Pasadena and my younger son wants to go there for good!
Is it far away from you? I'll check this out on Google Earth and spot KarenW!

You'll have to google Arcata California.. we are 600 miles away from pasadena! That is southern California!LOL

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hey Iko Why would he want a ultra sound of my heart.. he said he already seen that it was slightly inlarged ..I already new that from my own doctor. He did say that my congestive heart failure was not as progressed as I had been told by my doctor, none the less still there. I am not sure I understand what that means but anyway! Thats what he said..

I just give you some hints (I'm not your expert!)
In any mini-temporary stroke you cannot see easily what happened because tiny temporary clots could be the cause, or abnormally narrow arteries or other things. So you have to check everything to be sure.
Some little heart defects or heart enlargement plus valve problems could actually produce the tiny clots that go and bother brain arteries.
Your aspirin and the other drugs are already working fine, so calm down and relax, you'll fix this too dear Karen.
Take care

ikod
« Last Edit: 27/05/2007 19:19:17 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Girlie get you some rest!  Good Grief!!! Take care of yourself...I still can't believe the hospital did not keep you overnight or at least 24hrs for observation...mini strokes aren't too bad, but I had a friend who had an onset of them 3 or 4 in a row in one day...just mini ones...they kept her in the hospital for 24hrs after she arrived at the hospital.

Well I don't know what to say, They sent home medicated and ready to come back in the morning. I still have an Id on my arm for 72 hours to help administer medication should I have to have an ambulance ride back in in the next couple days! I think That is weird but Oh well. I am just about 10 minutes from the hospital so he said if anything worsened or new happened to call 911.. Kids are away for Holiday, so I will keep my phone on me.. It is in my pocket right now.. No problems.. I feel real tired still a bit numb on me tongue but some better. Arm is still hurting but I have'nt taken pain med yet.

Hi Karen!

What a day you had!
If they sent you home to relax better is because you can do it safely.
Hospital stay is a major cause of stress and should be minimized.
BTW were do you live? Which Hospital is taking care of you so efficiently?
I'm interested to find this out...you never know!
I wish you a quick recovery and hope you won't overwork at least in this forum.
Hope your family is taking care of this almost-impossible-to-get RELAX and some sleep!
We'll keep you company through the net: you'll never be alone.
Cheers,

ikod

Thank you Ikod..*tears*... That means alot more then you can possibly know...

Hugs,
Karen

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Hey Iko Why would he want a ultra sound of my heart.. he said he already seen that it was slightly inlarged ..I already new that from my own doctor. He did say that my congestive heart failure was not as progressed as I had been told by my doctor, none the less still there. I am not sure I understand what that means but anyway! Thats what he said..

In any mini-temporary stroke you cannot see easily what happened because tiny temporary clots could be the cause, or abnormally narrow arteries or other things. So you have to check everything to be sure.
Some little heart defects or heart enlargment and valve problems could actually produce the tiny clots that go and bother brain arteries.
Your aspirin and the other drugs are already working fine, so calm down and relax, you'll fix this too dear Karen.
Take care

ikod

Thanks LOL.. Thanks for the Hints Ikod,LOL.. I was just not sure, but that makes better sense now because of my my previous heart problems.. NOw friend ..LOL why can't  doctors not explain in a way that one can understand like you do! LOL

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Some little heart defects or heart enlargment and valve problems could actually produce the tiny clots that go and bother brain arteries.
Take care

ikod

Thanks LOL.. Thanks for the Hints Ikod,LOL.. I was just not sure, but that makes better sense now because of my my previous heart problems.. NOw friend ..LOL why can't  doctors not explain in a way that one can understand like you do! LOL

Because they are more fluent in English and talk too fast!   ;D ;D ;D
But they seem to be sooooo good!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
YES! YES! I think you are right! LOL! I must say I have never seen a doctor this young for my heart problems, is that weird? I know he was a ER doctor.. but I am getting so old.. I worry, but then I think wait young bucks have good newer medicines and better (hopefully) Technology and updated repair kits!! LOL

My Heart surgeon ( Cardiologist) Is that the right term..LOL anyway, he Comes all the way From San Francisco to see me.. we are sort of in the sticks up here! 300 miles  to travel.

It's like going into the shop! Well Lets see what you have under the hood today! LOL..

Seriously it's still scary but ..the upside is that the alternative is even more scary..(I think!)
« Last Edit: 27/05/2007 20:07:37 by Karen W. »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Dear Karen,

let's have a very RELAXED chat for a change.
I remember you mentioned something like infection in the blood in a recent post of yours...
THIS could be the cause of what you had yesterday and I'm sure your doctors are working on that.
Some naughty 'fastidious' germs like to clutch at the inner layers of the heart and the valves (most of all), then detach from time to time, forming dangerous tiny-clots that are directly pumped to the brain...and create flow problems up there.
You are too young even for a mini-stroke (say thank you iko!) :D
so that might be the tiny clot explanation.
Fingers crossed: infection snagged, full course of antibiotics and Voilà!
A new hyper-energetic KarenW back on stage!
Wouldn't it be a great thing?
You may have a nice surprise from the blood tests they made yesterday.
Up with our new antibiotic Era!
Cheers,

ikod
« Last Edit: 27/05/2007 20:42:15 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Dear Karen,

I remember you mentioned something like infection in the blood in a recent post of yours...
THIS could be the cause of what you had yesterday and I'm sure your doctors are working on that.
Some naughty 'fastidious' germs like to clutch at the inner layers of the heart and the valves (most of all), then detach from time to time, forming dangerous tiny-clots that are directly pumped to the brain...and create flow problems up there.
Fingers crossed: infection snagged, full course of antibiotics and Voilą!
Cheers,

ikod

Why would he tell me I had a mini stroke if I am too young for that? It would be great as I thought only old people had strokes but was changing my mind after yesterday.. Do you think this is why he has ordered so many more tests.. The blood tests from yesterday were returned normal he said..He gave me all this paper work to read and Frankly stuff I don't understand..

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Wouldn't it have shown in the test results from yesterday.. I know they were not my doctor but she will get all the results tuesday as this is a holiday weekend..everyone and everything is closed except the hospital.. I have been awful tired again, but he has ordered more tests Blood work included for next week also.. that is besides what he did yesterday!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
[/quote]

Good Lord!  They told you that!!!!!  Is there anyone with you?  You are ten minutes from hospital???  Please get some rest!  You have us worried now!  You need one of those call buttons with a chain so it will ring back to the hospital if they are going to release you like that!!!  OMG!  Please be careful!

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
Dear Karen,

Cheers,

ikod

Why would he tell me I had a mini stroke if I am too young for that? It would be great as I thought only old people had strokes but was changing my mind after yesterday.. Do you think this is why he has ordered so many more tests.. The blood tests from yesterday were returned normal he said..He gave me all this paper work to read and Frankly stuff I don't understand..

It maybe be thought of an old person's problem, but there sure are a lot of young people who are having strokes...even more than mini ones...

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
He said it was ok.. he was sending me home as I was close by but if I had to come back he said I could not drive myself this time..to call for help.. I assumed like IKo said I was ok this time.. he said if it were a more serious stroke it would have been different.. I think it is ok LO... Your making me nervous...STOP....Please..LOL I am sure it will be ok.. Robert showed up awhile ago and is actually cutting the grass.. He says .. He has let it go to long thats the only reason he came.. I don't believe him.... But I don't want to go there right now.. I am grateful he is here right now I don't care why!

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Sorry Karen,

I did not explain it in the enthusiasm of my 'sharp' hypothesis!
Strokes from atherosclerosis are the most common, caused by tiny clots that come from 'plaques' in the arteries due to degeneration from age, high cholesterol and so on.
Strokes from infectious tiny clots are due to bacteria (from the skin, guts, throat) that managed to reach the circulating blood and clutch to heart valves.  This kind of infection is quite insidious, difficult to diagnose and it is commonly called 'subacute endocarditis': it can happen at any age, in the young like in the elderly.
You mentioned 'blood infection' some time ago, for that I thought of this possible alternative diagnosis as more consistent than in other cases with no 'infectious' history.
I hope I explained it properly now.
They will certainly tell you what happened!
Cheers,

ikod

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Dear Karen,

Cheers,

ikod

It maybe be thought of an old person's problem, but there sure are a lot of young people who are having strokes...even more than mini ones...

Why in the world is this a changing statistic! Or is that due to drug use in those cases?? I don't do drugs so That rules me out.. I don't smoke or drink either so that isn't it! He suspected it was arteries but we won't know till later this week. he said, my cholestorol is great low actually, but he said he was still going to have them do the ultrasound on my neck to check the arteries. and another on the heart!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile

Sorry Karen,

I did not explain it in the enthusiasm of my 'sharp' hypothesis!
Strokes from atherosclerosis are the most common, caused by tiny clots that come from 'plaques' in the arteries due to degeneration from age, high cholesterol and so on.
Strokes from infectious tiny clots are due to bacteria (from the skin, guts, throat) that managed to reach the circulating blood and clutch to heart valves.  This kind of infection is quite insidious, difficult to diagnose and it is commonly called 'subacute endocarditis': it can happen at any age, in the young like in the elderly.
You mentioned 'blood infection' some time ago, for that I thought of this possible alternative diagnosis as more consistent than in other cases with no 'infectious' history.
I hope I explained it properly now.
They will certainly tell you what happened!
Cheers,

ikod

Thank you Iko  (DR. House LOL) Just teasing.. I thought something was missing! LOL That is a good explanation! SO it doesn't have to be from choleterol which would account for why my cholestrol is great!..It could come from the old problem still. aye aye aye! Thanks Iko..
Is it common for two rounds of antibiotics to not catch it completely.. I was treated twice.. for that?
« Last Edit: 27/05/2007 22:58:54 by Karen W. »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Is it common for two rounds of antibiotics to not catch it completely.. I was treated twice.. for that!

Sometimes you need longer antibiotic treatment...it depends on the germs.
Endocarditis from Whipple's disease -for example- is very rare (good for Dr. House only  ;D ) and requires a particular antibiotic (fortunately very well tolerated) for at least 1 year.
But now you have to relax, just remember that.
Echo scan of your heart will rule out endocarditis in a few minutes.
Take care

ikod
« Last Edit: 27/05/2007 23:13:20 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
OK I am relaxing.. Just hard to relax....I am a nervous wreck.... Thanks Iko.. I am supposed to call Tuesday when everything is open.. to schedule the the thing.. I am trying not to take the pain killers as I hate all the medicine! I am taking the Aspirn which is helping my arm..some.. I am not thrilled with vicodine so only gonna use it if I have to!

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
karen my friend's sister had a full blown stroke when she was sixteen. she didn't do drugs. i think it just happens sometimes. i know that's not a good answer...

Offline kdlynn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
by the way she's twenty six now and very healthy

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks Kadie.. That is good to hear.. very good.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
*Hugs Karen*

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length