The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cigarette paper  (Read 5709 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Cigarette paper
« on: 05/04/2007 08:14:39 »
Paper burns, right? But when it's wrapped round tobacco it doesn't. Why is that?

paul.fr

Cigarette paper
« Reply #1 on: 05/04/2007 09:46:02 »
good question, i never thought to question the paper!

i would guess that it could have some sort of coating, or because it is wrapped tightly around well packed pieces of tobacco, the oxygen is restricted, or the added Calcium Carbonate???

three answers for the price of one, fingers vrossed that one is near the mark.

I do know that you can buy slow burning paper, infact some states are making it law that from next year cigarettes have to have slow burning paper on them. They work buy adding extra layers in a sort of ridge pattern so the smoker has to keep taking puffs on the cigarette or the extra density of the paper will cause it to go out.

so much for the advice to not take deep or as many puffs on your cigarette.
« Last Edit: 05/04/2007 10:10:42 by paul.fr »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Cigarette paper
« Reply #2 on: 05/04/2007 10:55:12 »
Roll-ups tend to go out anyway if you don't keep puffing. Now there's another question. Why do roll-ups go out but ready-mades don't? I know there's a difference in the tobacco - ready-mades have tobacco that is drier & more crumbly. But some rolling tobacco is dry & crumbly yet still goes out. The same with pipe tobacco. Cigars, on the other hand, tend to stay alight.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
Cigarette paper
« Reply #3 on: 05/04/2007 12:33:50 »
Pre rolled cigarette paper is coated with potassium nitrate and loose rizla cigarette papers have none so roll ups constantly need re lighting.

Sometimes I think its smoking the nitrate that does the main damage to your lungs. Its mainly the nitrate that cause the lingering acrid smell.
Take a normal cigarette, light it, now notice the acrid smell. Take the contents of a cigarette and re roll it with rizla papers, now light it and no acrid smell.

TMM

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Cigarette paper
« Reply #4 on: 05/04/2007 17:47:48 »
I know what you mean about the smell. Personally, I don't object to the smell of roll-ups, pipe tobacco or cigars but ready-rolled cigs smell horrible.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
Cigarette paper
« Reply #5 on: 05/04/2007 20:59:58 »
Thanks DoctorBeaver, that sums up just how I feel about the smell.   :)

The nitrate has a commercial benefit as well, it makes sure the cigarette keeps burning regardless of being smoked.

TMM

paul.fr

Cigarette paper
« Reply #6 on: 05/04/2007 21:13:50 »
One of the objective of cigarette paper is to match its burning rate with that of tobacco. CaCO3 (Calcium Carbonate), a filler used in cigarette tissue retards burning rate of paper.To match burning rate more preciously, other chemicals are added in the paper.

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Cigarette paper
« Reply #7 on: 05/04/2007 23:18:23 »
Doc
Cruelty to animals or what, beavers shouldn't be smoking ,especially not in the middle of a bloody wood pile. :)

However ,back to the question, it depends on how big you make the Joint sorry cigarette.

They tend to go out if they are made with hands or the little machines that everyone mostly uses.

If you get one of them kingsize roll up machines and add the right amount of tobacco so the tobacco is not too tightly rolled but also not to lightly rolled they stay alight.

They also require a filter as it keeps the mouth end open allowing air to be drawn through while its not in your mouth.

How too make the perfect roll up is a dying art you know..doc   Maybe someone should set up a support group, they could apply to the lottery for a grant.
« Last Edit: 05/04/2007 23:20:14 by ukmicky »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
Cigarette paper
« Reply #8 on: 06/04/2007 08:39:21 »
Dear Gordon Brown

I won't be paying any tax this year coz I need the money to research how to roll the perfect joint cigarette

Luv

DocB

paul.fr

Cigarette paper
« Reply #9 on: 06/04/2007 09:40:40 »
Dear Gordon Brown

I won't be paying any tax this year coz I need the money to research how to roll the perfect joint cigarette

Luv

DocB

may i second that? i tried burning four cigarettes at various places to test the paper. Maybe you should apply for a grant to further your research Doc B.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Cigarette paper
« Reply #9 on: 06/04/2007 09:40:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length