The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is Coconut Part of the nut family?  (Read 8961 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Is Coconut Part of the nut family?
« on: 06/04/2007 05:29:34 »
Well, I was thinking about it and thought HUMMMMM I wonder what category a coconut falls in to? I really don't know and really want to know.. Is it a fruit? Is it a protein? What the heck do you call the inside ! Nut meat?  As in a walnut etc????
« Last Edit: 07/04/2007 16:47:31 by Karen W. »

Offline eric l

• View Profile
Re: Is Coconut Part of the nut family?
« Reply #1 on: 07/04/2007 09:21:30 »
Well, coconuts grow on coconut palms while wallnuts grow on leaf bearing trees, so they are obviously not closely related.
The (dried) meat from the inside is known as copra, it is this product that is collected for shipment to the installations where they make coconut oil.  The shells, I suppose, are sold to tourist or used for making the noise of horse's hoofs (cfr Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/04/2007 15:16:22 »
I know what kind of trees they grow on and coconut around here is eaten fresh from the shell moist from the milk also. I think most places eat coconut like that. I did not know that they called the meat Copra. I don't know a tourist that would want to buy a coconut shell. but I know that when they are sawed in half people do buy them.. Don't figure! LOL..I do not thinnk a walnut is related to a coconut, just wondered if they were really a nut of a variety sindce they do grow on a tree and have nut in their name? Peanuts are plants and the peanuts grow underground. when tops dye back you pull them up shake away the dirt and allow them to dry.. we always rinsed them off when my mom planted them. I remember thinking where is the peanut tree, LOL there was no tree! but they are still nuts..LOL Like me!! LOL

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 07/04/2007 15:25:21 »
From wikipedia:

The Coconut Palm (Cocos nucifera) is a member of the Family Arecaceae (palm family). It is the only species in the genus Cocos, and is a large palm, growing to 30 m tall, with pinnate leaves 4-6 m long, pinnae 60-90 cm long; old leaves break away cleanly leaving the trunk smooth. The term coconut refers to the nut of the coconut palm.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/04/2007 16:45:45 »
So are we indeed calling it a nut?
« Last Edit: 09/04/2007 00:13:37 by Karen W. »

Offline WylieE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/04/2007 01:03:46 »
Sometimes you feel like a nut. . .
It depends on which definition of "nut" you are using. . .
If you are using the cooking definition, coconut is often considered a nut-
Sometimes you don't
However, if you are judging based on botanical terms- the coconut is not a nut, it is a drupe- like peaches- because it has a large pit that comes from the ovary of the flower.  This pit is the part that you usually see at the store (and makes great horse hooves sounds)

So you can call it whichever you want. . and be correct.
Colleen

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/04/2007 02:24:11 »
Wow that is interesting. So the part that is peeled off is called what? A husk or what? Just curious! So I was actually wondering about the botanical classification. Thank you for your wonderful answer! I have also never heard the term drupe. That is new to me.. I need to learn some more...LOL! Thanks Colleen

Offline WylieE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/04/2007 06:25:15 »
I don't know what the part that is peeled of is called specifically in a coconut (seems like husk would be the correct term), but "anatomically" it is the exocarp (the skin) and the mesocarp which are removed.  In other drupes the mesocarp is fleshy - the part we eat in peaches, cherries, mangos, olives. . .coconuts are kind of an exception to this group because their mesocarp is fibrous (and floats!).
Another "nut" that actually is in the drupe group (sounds like the name of a bad rock band) is the almond- they have a thicker mesocarp than most drupes. 

Basically, a drupe is a fruit where the seed is protected by a HARD "shell" this shell comes from the wall of the ovary. 

But it gets even more complicated . . blackberries are aggregate drupes.

Colleen

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10/04/2007 06:37:49 »
THank you again Coleen.. You seem to know your nut's and drupes..LOL I really had no Idea! Are you a horticulture major or do you just like plants.. What do you do Mam?

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #9 on: 10/04/2007 17:49:13 »
Now, this is nuts.............heheh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6537023.stm?ls

I may just buy a coconut and clip clop along  ;D

TMM

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11/04/2007 05:24:45 »
Gee whiz that sounds like  a lot of fun!

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15/04/2007 15:16:14 »
So are we indeed calling it a nut?
It came to my mind that, what you call a nut in English is not always translated the same way. 
It took me longer than expected (I needed to check a number of dictionaries in the process) but here is an interesting table :
ENGLISHFRENCHDUTCHGERMAN
nutnoixnootNuss
beech-nutfainebeukennootBuchecker
hazelnutnoisette (= "petite noix"hazelnootHazelnuss
peanutarachide, cacahouetteaardnoot, pindaErdnuss
walnutnoixwalnootWalnuss
coconutnoix de cocokokosnootKokonuss
nutmegnoix de muscadenootmuskaatMuskatnuss
spice nutnonettepepernootPfeffernuss
nut (mechanics)écroumoerMutter
notenote(muziek)nootNote
Of course, they are not all (botanical) nuts, e.g. the Dutch word "noot" is also used for notes in music, so I did include it (they are shaped like nuts anyway).  And I did not include the fools (although I feel a bit like one after this)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 15/04/2007 15:16:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums