The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: WHY DO BUBBLE WANDS HAVE RIDGES AROUND THE BUBBLE BLOWING END?  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
WHY ALSO DO BIG BUBBLE WANDS THAT ARE MADE FOR SAY, TEN INCH ROUND BUBBLE TRAYS HAVE SMOOTH BUBBLE END EDGES? DO THE RIDGES TEND TO HOLD MORE BUBBLE LIGUID ..WHY DOES MY HAND POP THE BUBBLE, BUT IF I CATCH THE BUBBLE WITH THE RIDGED WAND, THE BUBBLE DOES NOT POP, BUT POP IT DOES ON THE FLAT SMMOTH OF MY HAND? DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH THE SHAPE OF THE BUBBLE OR THE SHAPE OF MY HAND OR NIETHER?

paul.fr

Karen, i would guess that the bubble bursts on your hand because it is dry. the bubble does not burst on the stick thing because it is wet with whatever solution you dip it in to to blow the bubble...well thats my guess anyway.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I will try wet soapy hands , or wet first then soapy.. I will see today what the difference if any is! What about the wand thingy?

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
wet soapy hands will, in fact, keep your creation intact.  I speak from experience.

A bubble wand is serrated because, I would guess, that that design would hold more bubble material.

about why the bigger wand is smooth, I would think that that is because the area covered is too big for the serrated effect to stay intact.

is there a passing bubble expert that could pass by and explain anything I missed/got wrong?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Thanks science guy! I still don't understand why the serrated edges wouldn't work on the bigger bubble wands..and then, what about the huge bubble wand created with a bar and a lenght of fabric materialto make human size bubbles?? LOL I have one somewhere around here!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
Thanks science guy! I still don't understand why the serrated edges wouldn't work on the bigger bubble wands..and then, what about the huge bubble wand created with a bar and a lenght of fabric materialto make human size bubbles?? LOL I have one somewhere around here!

Lol Karen, are you just amused by bubbles? Or, it's just a thing you do..

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums