The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If you were on trial....  (Read 4152 times)

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« on: 06/04/2007 16:03:50 »
If you were on trial for being a scientist, would there be enough evidence to convict you?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« Reply #1 on: 06/04/2007 16:21:50 »
 What an odd question..Well This will probably be and odd answer! Scientists question.. People question, but not all of us experiment, so I would say If you were truely a scientist then perhaps the eveidence might be apparent in the things you have done and do in your quests for answers..Perhaps burned out micrawaves weird distorted cd's, beakers, test tubes, papers, lots of other odd things, I thik that most all of us could be convicted as being scientists as I believe from birth it is about trial and error repetition learning and pushing the limits, questioning a biggy! We are all quilty even in minute ways and interestingly enough I think it is natural curiosity .. Some of us learn to explore our curiosity and not be afraid to try new things, but some of us are discouraged at young ages by restrictions set on us as safety precautions as well as dicipline. Children need to know how to explore and even make some mistakes and learn through trial and error in order to grow discover and find the fun in learning. I was always told the way it was and not encouraged or taught to explore further take some chances and discover things.. Sometimes I still get in that mode, so one needs to be consciencous of ones own tendancies to stiffle their own learning processes by what they were taught! I would be guilty as an adult, I make tons of mistakes... LOL and learn tons of new things!

Have you found your foot yet?

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« Reply #2 on: 06/04/2007 16:24:57 »
what a block of text. and very good insight too.

yes, I found my foot.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« Reply #3 on: 06/04/2007 16:57:40 »
Sorry for the text, I have been aweful bored and that leads to a large capacity to rattle on about thoughts that are enbedded into my head more deep thinking then I am used to so it comes out in big blobs..LOL Sorry! I better scoot to school, I have a room full of little scientists waiting for me to tell them what fool hearted experiment we will be testing today.. I think the bubbles will rule the day today as I am still curious!!!! LOL

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« Reply #4 on: 06/04/2007 18:08:14 »
I think I'd be found guilty of being a scientist. Does that mean I never grew up?

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« Reply #5 on: 06/04/2007 18:18:00 »
i would have to plead the fifth  [^]

another_someone

If you were on trial....
« Reply #6 on: 06/04/2007 22:52:38 »
To suggest that one is on trail for being a scientist would imply that being a scientist had become illegal.

You cannot, as such, make 'being a scientist' illegal; just as you cannot make 'being a terrorist' illegal.  You have to make certain specific, and provable, activities illegal.  These activities would then cause you to be classed as a scientist, or a terrorist, as defined by the law.  As they say, the devil is in the detail - you write the law one way, and you can convict one group of people, or you make a slight change to the wording of the law, and you convict a different group of people.

One question that has to be asked is what is the objective of criminalising scientists?  Are you trying to criminalise a materialistic view of the world (as opposed to a more spiritual view of the world), or are you trying to prevent new science being discovered (e.g. you consider new knowledge to be dangerous, and so wish to prevent new knowledge from being discovered)?  Until you can be clear about what it is about science that you think is sufficiently wrong to criminalise it, you cannot begin to know how you should construct the law that would criminalise science.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« Reply #7 on: 07/04/2007 04:48:11 »
Oh, I think some very fundamentalist Christians, Moslems and other religious zealots could do it. It is a very scary thought as I just listened to my brother rant and rave this evening, telling me how my belief in science and creation, astronomy and every thing else was not Christian, and how because of believing in this and that to believe honesty to be the best policy was WRONG WRONG WRONG! (I was ruining his life by just talking to my niece and nephew)

Let a fanatic get into power and you have another fascist state. As the U.S. does now. (Oops, did I say that? If the FBI is reading this, I didn't mean it.)

To say my family is dysfunctional is akin to saying the sun is slightly hotter than planet Earth.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« Reply #8 on: 07/04/2007 06:16:48 »
Oh, I think some very fundamentalist Christians, Moslems and other religious zealots could do it. It is a very scary thought as I just listened to my brother rant and rave this evening, telling me how my belief in science and creation, astronomy and every thing else was not Christian, and how because of believing in this and that to believe honesty to be the best policy was WRONG WRONG WRONG! (I was ruining his life by just talking to my niece and nephew)

Let a fanatic get into power and you have another fascist state. As the U.S. does now. (Oops, did I say that? If the FBI is reading this, I didn't mean it.)

To say my family is dysfunctional is akin to saying the sun is slightly hotter than planet Earth.

HEE HEE HEE, Mine too Jim Bob! LOL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« Reply #9 on: 07/04/2007 07:45:46 »
what a block of text. and very good insight too.

yes, I found my foot.

Well I am glad you found your foot!! Where pray tell had it been all this time??? I thought I saw it taking a little break a while back.. Perhaps he took a bit of a snooze while away and lost track of time!!! LOL..Thanks for Letting me know.. I have been going nuts trying to remember where the heck I saw him last!!! BTW While I was looking for your foot I seemed to have misplaced my head so if you wouldn't mind...LOL Could you call me if you find it!! LOL I really am much better when I have my head about me!!! LOL
Thanks in advance...

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« Reply #10 on: 08/04/2007 08:18:11 »
... as I just listened to my brother rant and rave this evening, telling me how my belief in science and creation, astronomy and every thing else was not Christian, and how ...

creation? DID I SAY THAT? Sh**, he got to me! I AM being brainwashed. I ment
 EVOLUTION!!

I'm loosing my mind!!!!!!!!!!  [:0]  [8]

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« Reply #11 on: 08/04/2007 09:20:18 »
lol I think Your right LOL No worries we are all there this is reality!! BITES HUH!

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« Reply #12 on: 09/04/2007 22:01:09 »
I am still pleading the fifth  ;D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
If you were on trial....
« Reply #13 on: 10/04/2007 02:58:17 »
Good stand Hadrian!! I hope your day went well!

The Naked Scientists Forum

If you were on trial....
« Reply #13 on: 10/04/2007 02:58:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length