The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: eat after eight, put on weight.  (Read 2572 times)

paul.fr

eat after eight, put on weight.
« on: 06/04/2007 20:52:11 »
no it's not about those mouth watering mint chocolates. i remember when i was younger being told that you should not eat after 8pm as this would lead to weight gain! is this true? does eating in the few hours before bed time lead to weight gain?

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06/04/2007 21:02:40 »
I think it's true.  We always used to eat dinner around 9:00pm.  It made me sick, so we started eating earlier.  We try to eat no later than 7:00 pm now.  Just with that change, over the next several months every one in our family lost weight.  I lost 20 lbs. over a years time.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/04/2007 15:24:04 »
Less food more gymn, to become slim!

;D

« Last Edit: 07/04/2007 15:25:51 by iko »

paul.fr

« Reply #3 on: 07/04/2007 15:31:46 »
Iko's a poet
and now we know it.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/04/2007 16:14:31 »
Iko's a poet
and now we know it.
The 'poet' is back!

Of course I'm not your expert and a passing-by diabetologist could help us explaining insulin secretion and fat build-up plus growth factor and steroids nightime levels...
But look what me found related to sleep habits:

Sleep and the body mass index and overweight status of children and adolescents.

Snell EK, Adam EK, Duncan GJ.
Northwestern University. e-snell@northwestern.edu

Associations between sleep and the body mass index (BMI) and overweight status of children and adolescents were estimated using longitudinal data from a nationally representative sample of 2,281 children aged 3-12 years at baseline.
Controlling for baseline BMI, children who slept less, went to bed later, or got up earlier at the time of the first assessment had higher BMIs 5 years later and were more likely to be overweight. Child age moderated the relationship between bedtime and BMI.
In addition, the study reports nationally representative data on the sleep habits of American children aged 3-18 years.
This study underscores the likely importance of sleep on children's physical health and suggests that sleep is important for understanding childhood weight problems.

Child Dev. 2007 Jan-Feb;78(1):309-23.  

ikod

« Last Edit: 07/04/2007 21:35:51 by iko »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 07/04/2007 16:14:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums