The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: funny pinky purple shapes  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
funny pinky purple shapes
« on: 09/03/2004 12:20:14 »
when I was younger I remember seeing pink/purple shapes that slid down if I looked in the same place and if I moved my eyes they'd move along. When I shut my eyes they were still there but a different colour. Why do they happen and what are they? I've been wondering all my life !

Also when I get up sometimes my vision turns silvery white for about ten seconds, and when the silvery white fades my eyes really really hurt. Why is this? It's annoying because I tend to bump into things since I'm pretty much blind. Plus it hurts (my eyes). Does it happen to you others?

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
Re: funny pinky purple shapes
« Reply #1 on: 09/03/2004 13:50:54 »
Quantum, when you see purple the red and blue sensitive cone cells are stimulated, as you look away the stimulated cone cells need to rest before they can accept photons again so only the green sensitive cones are stimulated at that moment. If you look away on a white sheet of paper you should see a greenish colour(which is the complementary colour for purple).

As for your second question, I'll have to think about it.

Angel
« Last Edit: 10/03/2004 10:34:17 by cuso4 »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/03/2004 14:00:19 »
Erin....with regards to your second question....when you say silvery white could you also mean cloudy or misty ?...I often find my eyes are out of focus when I awake, and they can sting a little as they focus in....it only happens a few times.....and takes about ten seconds too....

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/03/2004 01:49:39 »
I've had either colours all through my vision which sometimes goes to complete darkness if I get up too quickly or something like that but not a silvery white and it doesn't hurt my eyes. I believe what I experience is caused by low blood pressure from memory, not sure about yours.

Tim

Offline christianchick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/03/2004 15:22:21 »
i see purple shapes when i stare at the sun or the lightbulb in my room, as for the silvery sight, i tend to black out if i stand up to quickly, its kind of cool but i do get a serious headache afterwords

I WILL RULE THE WORLD, so suck up now before its too late(ha ha ha ha ha)

Greetings in Christ Jesus my Lord;)

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #5 on: 30/03/2004 15:58:05 »
Ok, I'm not sure if any of these are exactly what you are talking about, but here are a few related phenomena that I know about:
"Floaters", are usually described as small black squggily spots on your eye, although I suppose they could be coloresd to some people.  The follow with your vision as you move your eye.  You don't notice them very often, but they're in the same spot your whole life.  From what I hear most people have one or two.  I read once how they were formed.  I don't remeber the exact details, but I know it was something like a blood vessel that broke while you were still a fetus or something like that.  
The spots you get when you stare at the sun, are form over stimulation of your eyes, your eyes only have a certain intensity range to which they can sense, everything else after that registers the same.  They stay after you look away for the same reson your ears ring after a rock concert; your cells need time to recover after such intense stimulation (neither is a good thing)
When you turn off the liughts real quickly and still see spots, thats just left over neurotransmitters in your synapses that hasn't been re-uptaken or enzymatically degraded yet.
Also if you poke yourself in the eye, or hit yourself on the back of the head you see light.  This is your sensory receptors responding to a different type of stimulus than they are used to.  While your eye is designed to detect light (and is best for that job) if there is a strong enough level of another stimulus (touch, for example) it can detect that stimulus, but it reports it in the way its used to reporting (ie.  your eye gets touched, but your brain reads "light" because thats whgat it usually gets from your eyes)
OK, enough typey typey, I should go get to work.

This is a signature.... AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31/03/2004 15:11:55 »
How odd ! Everyone else's vision goes black and mine goes white. I guess it does look sort of cloudy neil. It looks kinf of like that deluxe kind of shampoo when you wiggle it around on your hand with your finger. But I suppose it must happen because blood drains from your brain, anyway..

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31/03/2004 15:11:55 »
How odd ! Everyone else's vision goes black and mine goes white. I guess it does look sort of cloudy neil. It looks kinf of like that deluxe kind of shampoo when you wiggle it around on your hand with your finger. But I suppose it must happen because blood drains from your brain, anyway..

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08/07/2007 13:59:52 »
when I was younger I remember seeing pink/purple shapes that slid down if I looked in the same place and if I moved my eyes they'd move along. When I shut my eyes they were still there but a different colour. Why do they happen and what are they? I've been wondering all my life !

Also when I get up sometimes my vision turns silvery white for about ten seconds, and when the silvery white fades my eyes really really hurt. Why is this? It's annoying because I tend to bump into things since I'm pretty much blind. Plus it hurts (my eyes). Does it happen to you others?

Oh my god!! I see these too!! I wondered what they were too!!!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08/07/2007 14:01:10 »
Yup and the pink purple stuff are just mostly circular or blobby like..

And I get that silver white stuff too! It'ls like a mixture between white and grey with fuzzy patterns, almost like a tv screen with no signal.. It gets really dizzy..

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 08/07/2007 14:01:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums