The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: iron free clothes  (Read 7499 times)

paul.fr

iron free clothes
« on: 09/04/2007 10:41:35 »
out shopping at the weekend, i noticed some shops selling "iron free" shirts, are they a new thing? any way, my question is:

what makes them iron free, is it a special material, are they coated in something or what?

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #1 on: 09/04/2007 10:57:48 »
out shopping at the weekend, i noticed some shops selling "iron free" shirts, are they a new thing? any way, my question is:
what makes them iron free, is it a special material, are they coated in something or what?

"Iron free" means they are not anylonger (at last!) those used from medieval knights in fightings? :)

another_someone

iron free clothes
« Reply #2 on: 09/04/2007 15:52:12 »
Iron free (aside from the meaning used by Alberto) can mean all sorts of things.

It could simply mean it is a style that looks OK even when its wrinkled and creased.  More likely, it is what used to be known as drip dry, which tends to have a substantial amount of plastic in them.

paul.fr

iron free clothes
« Reply #3 on: 09/04/2007 17:42:27 »
"Iron free" means they are not anylonger (at last!) those used from medieval knights in fightings? :)

took me ages this morning to figure that out, i must sleep more.

It could simply mean it is a style that looks OK even when its wrinkled and creased.  More likely, it is what used to be known as drip dry, which tends to have a substantial amount of plastic in them.

in this case it meant that the shirt did not need ironing, no creases or wrinkles after washing.
Is that the same as drip dry?

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #4 on: 11/04/2007 05:10:28 »
I think it is more like permanant press. wash and dry in dryer no need to iron. My husband bought some pants like that too. I think it has more to do with what they are made of really, kinda like george said. Perhaps more of a polyester fiber in them. check out what they are made of..

Offline eric l

• View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #5 on: 11/04/2007 12:14:02 »
It is not quite the same :  "permanent press" is a treatment on cotton or flax (linen) fabrics, using methanol (mainly) and reducing the tendency to wrinkle.  "No iron" involves some resin (but I can not find back which) and is also applied on mixed fibres.  I'll go on searching for that resin (or resins).

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #6 on: 11/04/2007 12:52:23 »
but Iron is good for ewe !!..it strands to reason that clothes must benefit from Iron too !!

another_someone

iron free clothes
« Reply #7 on: 11/04/2007 13:48:19 »
but Iron is good for ewe !!..it strands to reason that clothes must benefit from Iron too !!

Iron is actually quite toxic - just look at the effects of heamochromotosis - it all depends on how much of it - and you only want a very tiny amount.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #8 on: 11/04/2007 16:39:59 »
Eric that is interesting a resin .. I did not know that!

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #9 on: 12/04/2007 13:18:11 »

The first time I read your post, I thought that "Iron-Free" as in the material Iron.. I only just understood that it was the verb "To Iron".. Man I feel stupid lol

Offline eric l

• View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #10 on: 12/04/2007 14:15:47 »
In German, the term is "bŁgelfrei", so don't you start thinking that it has anything to do with military music !

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #11 on: 12/04/2007 14:20:06 »
In German, the term is "bŁgelfrei", so don't you start thinking that it has anything to do with military music !

Ya what?

Offline mark

• First timers
    • View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #12 on: 27/09/2007 23:30:38 »
I have been told that I may have the condition of  and I was wondering if anybody could explain to me exactly what it entails?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #13 on: 27/09/2007 23:36:18 »

The first time I read your post, I thought that "Iron-Free" as in the material Iron.. I only just understood that it was the verb "To Iron".. Man I feel stupid lol

HEE HEE HEE! LOL! Yes I understand that feeling!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #14 on: 27/09/2007 23:38:19 »
I have been told that I may have the condition of  and I was wondering if anybody could explain to me exactly what it entails?

Are you talking about an iron deficiency as in "anemia?"

Offline mark

• First timers
    • View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #15 on: 28/09/2007 21:47:49 »
To be completely honest Karen I've no idea although they did say my liver is producing a fluid caused by too much iron it also produces.

Offline JustineH

• View Profile
iron free clothes
« Reply #16 on: 28/09/2007 23:19:10 »
It's just another unnecessary chemical added to fabrics.  Usually they have a strong scent to them which I don't like.  But hey!  You don't have to iron them; like who uses an iron anyhew? ::)

The Naked Scientists Forum

iron free clothes
« Reply #16 on: 28/09/2007 23:19:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums