The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: meteor showers  (Read 4900 times)

paul.fr

meteor showers
« on: 09/04/2007 18:05:13 »
why and how do some meteor showers happen yearly. The geminid shower is on example although i have yet to be lucky enough to see it.

phys2104

meteor showers
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2007 00:23:52 »
The vast majority of annual meteor showers are caused by comets which are often described as "dirty snowballs" because they consist of ice and dust. As comets approach the sun, a tail appears which is caused by the solar wind. This tail is made up of gas and dust and leaves behind a trail as it orbits the sun.
If the Earth happens to pass near enough to one of these trails, the small dust particles (meteoroids) left behind enter the Earth's atmosphere and can be visible as a meteor shower. The Earth passes through these trails at the same point in its orbit each year so the showers are annual.

You've happened to mention the Geminids which are rather unusual in the way that they don't have a parent comet. Instead they appear to have a parent asteroid which is strange because asteroids are composed of rock/metal and shouldn't leave a trail like comets do. One theory is that this asteroid is an old comet which passed too close to the sun, causing the ice to vapourise and the comet to become extinct.

And with that, first post!
« Last Edit: 10/04/2007 00:43:29 by phys2104 »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
meteor showers
« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2007 08:20:35 »
Thank you phys2104 and welcome to TNS

paul.fr

meteor showers
« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2007 09:40:06 »
yes, what a great answer phys2104. much better than my first....and possibly all those in between!

phys2104

meteor showers
« Reply #4 on: 10/04/2007 21:11:47 »
Why, thank you very much! I'm glad to be here, seems like a very friendly place!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
meteor showers
« Reply #5 on: 11/04/2007 00:30:04 »
Here here...Phys2104 gave a great answer...big hello to him/her !!

me likes the Leonid's./..they are like ...well nice in a streaky lighty awe inspiring mouth agaping (new word) kind of way..YAYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!

phys2104

meteor showers
« Reply #6 on: 11/04/2007 01:03:19 »
Hehe, I love meteor showers, and yet I have a lot of friends who have never seen a single meteor. If only people took a bit more time to look up at the sky. They don't know what they're missing.

The lyrids are coming up soon which I'm looking forward to. I believe they peak on the 22nd if anyone else is interested.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
meteor showers
« Reply #7 on: 11/04/2007 01:07:07 »
Hehe, I love meteor showers, and yet I have a lot of friends who have never seen a single meteor. If only people took a bit more time to look up at the sky. They don't know what they're missing.

The lyrids are coming up soon which I'm looking forward to. I believe they peak on the 22nd if anyone else is interested.

yep ...me is well interested !....I luff to look up all the time...especially if a girly is in front of me going up stairs and climbing ladders !!...erhmm..sorry..I seems to have digressed.

I consider myself very lucky to have seen quite a few shooting stars......lets just hope for clear skies !!
clouds have a way of really ruining your night !!  *le sigh*

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
meteor showers
« Reply #8 on: 11/04/2007 03:54:04 »

Will this be visable along the California coast part of this country! LOL!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
meteor showers
« Reply #9 on: 11/04/2007 03:57:13 »

yep ...me is well interested !....I luff to look up all the time...especially if a girly is in front of me going up stairs and climbing ladders !!...erhmm..sorry..I seems to have digressed.

I consider myself very lucky to have seen quite a few shooting stars......lets just hope for clear skies !!

Neily You should use your extention Ladder and get up on your foof and watch from there above all the houses around you! It would be a good view! That is if it is not cloudy as you said!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
meteor showers
« Reply #10 on: 11/04/2007 23:17:13 »

Neily You should use your extention Ladder and get up on your foof and watch from there above all the houses around you! It would be a good view! That is if it is not cloudy as you said!

Hi Karen Mam,

That's a great idea...I might find Santa stuck down my chimney !!..LOL...the best place to go of course is where there is no light pollution...I bet this would be easy for you yes Mam ?

hugs & shmishes

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
meteor showers
« Reply #11 on: 12/04/2007 05:21:05 »
Yes It it pitch dark here at night! we have very little light. A few small ones down the road at the mill, but overall very dark here! what is the geminid shower? Would that mean to look in the sky around  the star clusters in Gemini??

Hugs
« Last Edit: 12/04/2007 05:22:42 by Karen W. »

phys2104

meteor showers
« Reply #12 on: 12/04/2007 22:42:08 »
Yep, meteor showers are named after the part of the sky they appear to come from.

You're very lucky to have such little light pollution. It's really bad around where I live. :(

The Naked Scientists Forum

meteor showers
« Reply #12 on: 12/04/2007 22:42:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums