The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Hotter and slower against cooler and faster ! (A heating question)  (Read 2966 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What is more econmoical when I'm heating my car ?

Have the fan on fast and a low temp or have the setting hotter and less speed ?

I just don't know........do ewe ?

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Move to the south of France is the cheapest, most way to handel (G.F.) the situation.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
I was once that it had nothing to do with my gas mileage, but then someone else argued with that person and said it increased the usage of the gas.. I don't get it and still don't know if it does or not!!

I like hoter and lots speed LOL especially when it is really cold and my figers are froze stiff on the sterring wheel..LOL I am that lovely vent right at my hands and face and let her blow untill I am too hot to handle it then I redirect the heat so someone else can get warm.. Lately I get ity all to myself YAYYYYYY!!

another_someone

Are you talking about air con, or just an old fashioned heater using waste heat from the engine?

Air con can add up to about 10% to fuel consumption, but the old fashioned heaters just used waste heat that would have gone out the exhaust anyway.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Move to the south of France is the cheapest, most way to handel (G.F.) the situation.

hmmmmmmmm..St Tropez !!........

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Are you talking about air con, or just an old fashioned heater using waste heat from the engine?

Air con can add up to about 10% to fuel consumption, but the old fashioned heaters just used waste heat that would have gone out the exhaust anyway.

I always have the air con on.......surely the same applies though ?

This then begs another question.

Which is more efficient/economic ?.....driving with the window down ? which causes drag or using the air con in such a way that it cools the inside of the car down the same as having the window down !

paul.fr

neil, i am sure this was in a NS radio show. i think the answer was that if travelling below 70mp use the air con, if going faster wind the windows down to save fuel.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile

Thanks Paul...I errhmm..must have missed that particular airing...no doubt Chris or Dave can point me to the relevant podcast !!

LOL...driving at over 70 with the window down is lots of fun !!...especially if you're a doggy !!

THANK YOU PAUL

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
LOL...

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums