The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: fish oil and other supplement overdose  (Read 3694 times)

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
fish oil and other supplement overdose
« on: 10/03/2004 10:43:20 »
My mom is asking about the amount of fish oil capsules, vitamin E and calcium you can have in one day. Is it OK to take one capsule of fish oil + 1 tablet of vit. E + 1 tablet of calcium per day?

Angel
« Last Edit: 12/03/2004 12:09:06 by cuso4 »

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: fish oil and other supplement overdose
« Reply #1 on: 11/03/2004 00:39:16 »
Well that rather depends upon how much there is in each capsule or tablet !

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/03/2004 03:31:43 »
I don't know what the toxicity levels are for Vitamin E and calcium, but I would suspect that the fish oil would cause "gastric disturbance" enough to be self limiting.  Too much over a long period would cause weight gain - it is just pure fat after all.   There are many sites on the net that discuss current research on vitamins and their maximum safe levels.  Do a search.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline cuso4

• Angel Delight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/03/2004 12:08:22 »
1 capsule = 525mg

And the amount for vitamin E and calcium is actually 1 tablet each, I've corrected the post.

Angel

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #4 on: 13/03/2004 09:05:01 »
slightly related:  My chiropractor told me that fish oil (two particular omega-3 fatty acids it, actually) can help diabetics with insulin resistance.  He asserted that these fatty acids help regulate the active transport of gluconated insulin complex across the cell membrance.  Sound plausible?

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/02/2007 17:08:17 »
It sounds plausible but it is certainly too easy and simple.
Omega-3 fatty acids (EPA & DHA) interact at different levels
in cellular biology, mainly on the cell membrane.
Vitamin D3 and vitamin A from cod liver oil
can have a protective effect in diabetic retinopathy.

ikod

Here is the most recent report about this issue:

Inhibition of cytokine signaling in human retinal endothelial cells
through modification of caveolae/lipid rafts by docosahexaenoic acid.

Chen W, Jump DB, Esselman WJ, Busik JV.
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA.

PURPOSE: Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA(22:6,n3)) is the principal n3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) in the retina. The authors previously demonstrated that DHA(22:6,n3) inhibited cytokine-induced adhesion molecule expression in primary human retinal vascular endothelial (hRVE) cells, the target tissue affected by diabetic retinopathy. Despite the importance of vascular inflammation in diabetic retinopathy, the mechanisms underlying anti-inflammatory effects of DHA(22:6,n3) in vascular endothelial cells are not understood. In this study the authors address the hypothesis that DHA(22:6,n3) acts through modifying lipid composition of caveolae/lipid rafts, thereby changing the outcome of important signaling events in these specialized plasma membrane microdomains. METHODS: hRVE cells were cultured in the presence or absence of DHA(22:6,n3). Isolated caveolae/lipid raft-enriched detergent-resistant membrane domains were prepared using sucrose gradient ultracentrifugation. Fatty acid composition and cholesterol content of caveolae/lipid rafts before and after treatment were measured by HPLC. The expression of Src family kinases was assayed by Western blotting and immunohistochemistry. RESULTS: Disruption of the caveolae/lipid raft structure with a cholesterol-depleting agent, methyl-cyclodextrin (MCD), diminished cytokine-induced signaling in hRVE cells. Growth of hRVE cells in media enriched in DHA(22:6,n3) resulted in significant incorporation of DHA(22:6,n3) into the major phospholipids of caveolae/lipid rafts, causing an increase in the unsaturation index in the membrane microdomain. DHA(22:6,n3) enrichment in the caveolae/raft was accompanied by a 70% depletion of cholesterol from caveolae/lipid rafts and displacement of the SFK, Fyn, and c-Yes from caveolae/lipid rafts. Adding water-soluble cholesterol to DHA(22:6,n3)-treated cells replenished cholesterol in caveolae/lipid rafts and reversed the effect of DHA(22:6,n3) on cytokine-induced signaling. CONCLUSIONS: Incorporation of DHA(22:6,n3) into fatty acyl chains of phospholipids in caveolae/lipid rafts, followed by cholesterol depletion and displacement of important signaling molecules, provides a potential mechanism for anti-inflammatory effect of DHA(22:6,n3) in hRVE cells.

Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007 Jan;48(1):18-26.

« Last Edit: 10/02/2007 17:15:22 by iko »

paul.fr

« Reply #6 on: 10/02/2007 19:35:56 »
How long do you have to take fish oil suppliments before you feel the benefit? i have heard it's quite a while.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10/02/2007 23:45:39 »
Hi paul.fr,

I simply know that it takes 2-4 weeks (maybe more)
for those special fatty acids to replace the 'standard'
original ones in phospholipids of cell membranes and
lead to anti-aggregating & anti-inflammatory effects.
Accordingly, when you stop assuming them in your diet,
those effects persist for a few weeks.
This is what I remember from the first studies in '80s.
Some immediate anti-inflammatory effects after experi-
-mental intravenous administration have been reported.
I should check this 'cause it is just a vague memory...
You could read CLO topic and find other bits and pieces!

ikod

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 10/02/2007 23:45:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums