The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: speaking  (Read 2770 times)

Anastasia.fr.1

speaking
« on: 12/04/2007 21:41:19 »
how does your mouth help you to speak?

is it the tonsils or tounge or some thing ?

thank you
         from Anastasia

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
speaking
« Reply #1 on: 13/04/2007 04:42:57 »
Puker your lips, say youuuuuu, but as you are saying it open your mouth or change the shape while saying YOU, You will notice that the shape your mouth takes changes the way the sound comes out of your mouth..I think the vocal cords vibrate together to create sound and it must bounce off the walls in your mouth because as you change the shape the sond changes also moving it out or muting it altogether.. I am no scientist that is only my guess, so I hope someone will come and explain how badly  my guess was and give us a better explaination.

another_someone

speaking
« Reply #2 on: 13/04/2007 05:15:10 »
When you speak, the sound itself is mostly created by your vocal cords (in your throat).

What the mouth does is to create a resonant cavity that causes some sounds be be allowed out in preference to others (i.e. the vocal cords will produce a wide spectrum of sounds, but the mouth then selects which of the sounds are the ones it wants to let out).

In a way, you can compare it to the way a wind instrument (e.g. a clarinet or a oboe) would work - where the vocal cords play the role of the reed in the mouthpiece of the instrument, and the mouth is like the pipe of the instrument, and the changing shape of the mouth is like the different holes the musician will cover up on the pipe of the instruments to cause the pipe to resonate to different sounds.
« Last Edit: 13/04/2007 05:23:32 by another_someone »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
speaking
« Reply #3 on: 13/04/2007 05:24:58 »
Thanks George much better explanation then mine LOL.. Big Hugs!!

paul.fr

speaking
« Reply #4 on: 14/04/2007 22:23:03 »
thanks George and Karen for this. when Anastasia read the replys she was nodding and saying "yes i understand that".

so thank you both, and all who have contributed to her questions.   [^]

paul.fr

speaking
« Reply #5 on: 14/04/2007 22:44:01 »
oh yes, and then she said that it was much better to have other peoples ideas and answers than just mine! i took it that she meant i was still correct and that it was nice to have me proven that way.  ;D

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
speaking
« Reply #6 on: 14/04/2007 22:59:03 »
I'm sure that's exactly what she meant. :D

The Naked Scientists Forum

speaking
« Reply #6 on: 14/04/2007 22:59:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums