The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: help....  (Read 5393 times)

Offline salman.hunter

• First timers
    • View Profile
help....
« on: 17/04/2007 08:03:50 »
helo to every 1!!
well m salman from Pakistan.
i m doing bechlors in mechatronics engineering, from a reputed university,i am 1st year!
What i want to do is to get an idea to have research on it related to my field of mechatronics engineering and also of my level....!!
I HOPE EVERYBODY KNOW ABOUT MECHATRONICS ENGINERING!!
i want to do research and publish my papers....
if there is anybody among you who can help in ths regard i will be realy gratefull!!
And if someone is already doing such research or somebody wants to do reaserch with me is also very very welcome!!
hoping for a good reply:)

my personal e.mail is : salman_hunter@hotmail.com
you people are welcome to contact me!
sincerly
Salman...

paul.fr

help....
« Reply #1 on: 17/04/2007 09:46:17 »
Hi Salman.

well one quick idea. It is reported that hospitals are increasingly giving patients either the wrong dose of medecine or the wrong patient the medecine.

How about designing software that has a patient database, with their medication listed and a robotic/automated dispensing system.

This could be a bedside dispensary or a central location.

well it's just an idea.  :)

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
help....
« Reply #2 on: 17/04/2007 09:51:58 »
Paul, I think they already do that. But what do you mean by a robotic/automated dispensing system? A robot goes around handing their daily medicine to them? :o

paul.fr

help....
« Reply #3 on: 17/04/2007 10:00:27 »
Paul, I think they already do that. But what do you mean by a robotic/automated dispensing system? A robot goes around handing their daily medicine to them? :o

i would guess that it does not have to be an original idea for marketing, as long as the coursework shows originality in design and that the thing works....but as i say i am often wrong.

How about this then:

Old people often burn themselves whilst bathing, what about a system that allows the user to input the desired water temerature and level of water in the bath. that way the person will have the bath set t the desired temperature and no risk of them forgetting to return to turn the taps off.

the software controls the temperature and water level settings and the mechanics of the on, off valves of the water.

salman, if my two crayzzzzze ideas are way off your topic please have no hesitation in saying so.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
help....
« Reply #4 on: 17/04/2007 10:05:02 »
Hey Paul. I think that sounds like a good idea, although I think that I may have seen one of them somewhere. Well definitely about the temperature adjustments, but maybe not of the water levels.

Salman, what sort of mechanics are you looking for? Just any random topic?

paul.fr

help....
« Reply #5 on: 17/04/2007 10:18:53 »
ok, now i know these are avaliable commercially, but it would make a nice project.

If you are like me the alarm goes off, you reach over shut the thing off and fall back to sleep. why not design a moving alarm clock with these extra features.

#1 the alarm clock is initially programmed with an "urgency" indicator. if you just want to get up on a sunday mornng to mow the lawn well that's not too urgent and you set it to level 1.
level one will give you a normal alarm tone for 2 minutes with no sleep/snooze facility.

level five, the highest, will have an automatic snooze/sleep function that can not be over ridden. it will go off at 30 second intervals for 30 minutes with no way of disabling it except obviously for removing the batterise.

#2 once set the alarm clock waits 2 hours then moves to a different location in the room, that way you can not just lean over and turn it off.

the design would be a tracked or wheeled type vehicle with motion sensors. the sensors could even be used on a level 5 alarm to move away from you as you try to turn it off.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
help....
« Reply #6 on: 17/04/2007 10:30:44 »
Paul. For your level 5.. If there is no way of turning it off without taking the batteries out, what if the person has woken up? He needs to remove the batteries? That would be some annoying clock to do that every morning before going to work or something.

paul.fr

help....
« Reply #7 on: 17/04/2007 10:36:08 »
Paul. For your level 5.. If there is no way of turning it off without taking the batteries out, what if the person has woken up? He needs to remove the batteries? That would be some annoying clock to do that every morning before going to work or something.

but you would only use level 5 if you were doing something important, not going to work ;) that would be level 1

level 5 for going on a date or something of equal importance.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
help....
« Reply #8 on: 17/04/2007 10:39:38 »
OH.. Well.. Ok.. So what would level 2-3-4 be? Just louder volume and last a bit longer? How about some sort of vibration mode as well, because I hate the sound of vibrating on a table, such as a phone

Offline salman.hunter

• First timers
    • View Profile
help....
« Reply #9 on: 19/04/2007 12:05:01 »
hi guyz...!!
it was a wonderful responce from ur side!!! thank you very much!
well.. the way i would like to design a machine is AN AEROPLANE.. rather a UAV... with a camera fitted on it!! hows is this??
with a remote in my hand and it howers over an area and i shuld get the photos of that area!
any ideas abt this or nearly to somthing like that??
one of my friend made A PROSTHETIC ARM for disabled people... !! its marvelous!!

paul.fr

help....
« Reply #10 on: 19/04/2007 13:27:10 »
hi guyz...!!
it was a wonderful responce from ur side!!! thank you very much!
well.. the way i would like to design a machine is AN AEROPLANE.. rather a UAV... with a camera fitted on it!! hows is this??
with a remote in my hand and it howers over an area and i shuld get the photos of that area!
any ideas abt this or nearly to somthing like that??
one of my friend made A PROSTHETIC ARM for disabled people... !! its marvelous!!

This would be a remote control aeroplane, yes? the type you fly on a field for fun, not an actual 747 type plane!

another_someone

help....
« Reply #11 on: 19/04/2007 14:16:59 »
As Paul said, it sounds like it would simply be a conventional RC helicopter with a camera slung underneath.

What would probably make it more interesting is to add a GPS receiver that records the precise position when the picture is taken - that way you can more easily line up adjacent shots, as well as by knowing your precise altitude having a better idea of the scale of the features on the terrain you are viewing.  Going even further, you could have two such helicopters, where the camera is triggered by the same signal, thus taking wide baseline stereoscopic images.

You will want a lightweight camera.  Don't need a zoom (although most come with a zoom), since you will probably not be able to control the zoom anyway.  Biggest problem is that the best lenses tend to be bigger and heavier lenses.  Even bigger problem is that if you are looking at many of the consumer oriented point and shoot digital cameras, they tend to do a fair amount of processing on the image in order to smooth out digital noise on the camera - but this could get in the way of getting a true image.  The best way to limit this is to use a camera with a large CCD chip, since these generate less noise in the first place - also, sometimes cameras with lower pixel counts, even though they may show less detail, will generate less in camera noise.

If you are going to go for a DSLR camera, that would be optically and electronically good, but it is expensive, and heavy.  In the smaller cameras, Fujifilm cameras have the least noise.

Also, you will want to look at image stabilisation, as the helicopters will suffer vibration (although ofcourse some of that could be damped a bit by using proper mountings for the camera).

paul.fr

help....
« Reply #12 on: 19/04/2007 14:25:06 »
also, like George says the type of camera is important so is the weight. an ip camera would also be nice as you could get live images as well as static photographs.

another_someone

help....
« Reply #13 on: 19/04/2007 14:31:42 »
also, like George says the type of camera is important so is the weight. an ip camera would also be nice as you could get live images as well as static photographs.

How would you propose having the down feed for the live images - are you thinking of having a wide bandwidth radio transmitter in the helicopter?  I suppose you would look at a WiFi or bluetooth connection.

There are other advantages in movie recording, in being able to generate a strip of overlapping frames, but you will be limiting the number of pixels in each frame in order to get the signal bandwidth within reasonable constraints (and possibly to limit heat generation, etc.).

paul.fr

help....
« Reply #14 on: 19/04/2007 14:35:39 »

How would you propose having the down feed for the live images - are you thinking of having a wide bandwidth radio transmitter in the helicopter?  I suppose you would look at a WiFi or bluetooth connection.

There are other advantages in movie recording, in being able to generate a strip of overlapping frames, but you will be limiting the number of pixels in each frame in order to get the signal bandwidth within reasonable constraints (and possibly to limit heat generation, etc.).

yes, WiFi. you can pick a decent unit up for about 100, and they have built in software to transmit on  their own server.

you can also use software to publish the live images on the net for other to watch. i use a similar system for my home security (although i use password protection). i can monitor my cameras from anywhere i happen to be.

another_someone

help....
« Reply #15 on: 19/04/2007 14:52:10 »
yes, WiFi. you can pick a decent unit up for about 100, and they have built in software to transmit on  their own server.

you can also use software to publish the live images on the net for other to watch. i use a similar system for my home security (although i use password protection). i can monitor my cameras from anywhere i happen to be.

The kind of cameras you get for this will use cheap plastic lenses, although given the very low CCD pixel count, the lens is not the limiting factor.

It depends on what you are looking to achieve.  High definition poictures you will not get - but it will be cheap, and easy to implement, and you can offset the lack of definition by flying lower, and building up a strip of images (again, storing GPS data alongside will help patch the strip back together again).

paul.fr

help....
« Reply #16 on: 19/04/2007 14:56:20 »
The kind of cameras you get for this will use cheap plastic lenses, although given the very low CCD pixel count, the lens is not the limiting factor.

It depends on what you are looking to achieve.  High definition poictures you will not get - but it will be cheap, and easy to implement, and you can offset the lack of definition by flying lower, and building up a strip of images (again, storing GPS data alongside will help patch the strip back together again).

yes, you only get a picture definition of a few mpx. i was also thinking he would be flying low anyway as he would have to use a pretty expensive camera(if flying high) and extra nobs on the controller for the zoom.

so for low flying i would suggest an ip camera, gps like you say george but not much more as this would add too much to the weight of the rc plane/helicopter.

another_someone

help....
« Reply #17 on: 19/04/2007 15:51:55 »
I would not expect more than gps + camera (except maybe 2 cameras, if you want to have stereoscopic vision from one aircraft); and if one is using an IP camera over WiFi, then you don't even need the recording equipment on the aircraft.

Ideally, it might be worthwhile using 802.11n compliant WiFi, given the fact that you want to guarantee continuous connection while flying in all sorts of direction.

On the other hand, if you are doing strips of shots, then you could as well use a low speed fixed wing aircraft rather than a helicopter, since this will be able to take more weight for the same power unit, and will have less vibration (and if you can mount a camera on or near each wingtip, you could maximise the stereoscopic baseline).

Offline salman.hunter

• First timers
    • View Profile
help....
« Reply #18 on: 20/04/2007 07:54:39 »
well ..... yes u r  ryt..... it will be a small plane.... or helocopter.... wid a camera!!
cani get more info abt GPS system and wifi system!!

another_someone

help....
« Reply #19 on: 20/04/2007 12:07:36 »
Thinking about this a bit more, I think there will be some additional complexities we had skimmed over.

The IP cameras will probably needs a DHCP server to give them an IP address.

You can get DHCP servers embedded in most broadband routers, even though you do not need the broadband, but they could be used as a wired/wireless bridge complete with DHCP server.  Broadband routers can be obtained from Netgear, D-Link, Belkin, Linksys, and many other brands.

The other alternative would be to set up your own embedded computer - possibly something like (although it is simply something I picked off the Internat, and not a device I have experience of) - http://www.arcom.co.uk/pxa270-xscale-zeus.htm

All of this is going to add both to the size and weight, but also will require adequate power supply, and even looking at issues of adequate cooling (even broadband routers can get quite hot, and although they are only passively cooled, they still need to get rid of their heat).

The Naked Scientists Forum

help....
« Reply #19 on: 20/04/2007 12:07:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length