The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Virginia Tech Massacre  (Read 8594 times)

another_someone

Virginia Tech Massacre
« Reply #25 on: 18/04/2007 11:33:27 »
Truly Karen, such a useless act.

Not sure that anybody has suggested there is any use to this act, only that there must be a cause - which is something different altogether.

This nut had the words Ishmil's axe written in red on one of his arms. This is a Muslim reference to their belief that Ishmael, and not Isaac, was to be the promised son of Abraham. Could this tragic event be an act of Islamic terror????? I personally think YES!!

Apart from applying a nice cliche, what does it mean to class this as an act of Muslim terrorism - much less so that the Oklahoma bombing might reasonably classed as an act of Christian terrorism.

There is some evidence that at least some of the killings might have been of targeted individuals, and all were targeted at a particular institution.  This was not an act of killing of just anybody in the street, but a selected target.

It may well possibly be that there was some religious inspiration to the act, but that does not mean that the act was political in nature (which is usually the definition of terrorism).  Many acts of violence often have some notion of religious righteousness associated with them (even a husband who kills his adulterous wife might think himself to have a religious justification for his act - but that does not make it religious terrorism).

Offline eric l

• View Profile
Virginia Tech Massacre
« Reply #26 on: 18/04/2007 12:13:13 »
Could this tragic event be an act of Islamic terror????? I personally think YES!!
With all due respect, I have the impression that Americans see this Islamic terror a bit everywhere.
NRA keeps telling us that "it is not the firearms that kill", but the people.  They forget to say that it is "people with firearms". 
If I'm not mistaken, the Swiss take their firearms at home with them after military service (still compulsory), yet you very rarely hear about shootings in Switzerland.  Obviously, there must a substantial difference in the attitude of the Swiss towards firearms as compared with the attitude of Americans.  The fact that the killer was a "resident alien" does not change this, I bet he would not have the same easy access to firearms in his own country.

Offline Ben6789

• And then there were none.
    • View Profile
Virginia Tech Massacre
« Reply #27 on: 18/04/2007 13:13:24 »
Lol why the "Darn AAAAAA!" at the end? :P

American Association Against Acronym Abuse of America!

Offline Ben6789

• View Profile
Virginia Tech Massacre
« Reply #28 on: 18/04/2007 13:15:31 »
Wow, I read all this stuff about the shooter and it makes me sad that he rejected himself that way, they didn't even know his name.

..Some of the students HAD to have noticed his behaviour, why didn't at least ONE of them try to help...?

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
Virginia Tech Massacre
« Reply #29 on: 18/04/2007 21:04:32 »
Clearly something was troubling him....Big Time !!....

He quite calculatedly shot and killed all those people and then himself.

He had every intention to do what he did. I wonder if somewhere there is written documented plans of his intentions.

Anyone who performs such a despicable atrocity in this fashion is over the edge and in need of severe treatment and should be removed from society.

If he had such a disturbing  portfolio then I remain astonished that things moved so slowly !...Alarm bells ring and nothing happened !!....but....it is a sad sad situation that these events are by no means isolated and yet they still do happen.......and it will happen again of course !...unless.....the facility to fine tune the process of recognising this behavior and acting upon it is improved.

I don't think he would have been susceptible to therapy at this stage. It should have been picked up years ago !....

I can not imagine and  ever hope to understand what makes a person do something like this but I suspect he must share certain characteristic traits that predisposes him to fail miserable at a ' normal  ' way of life and allows him to cross the line where performing the most anti-social of behaviour is acceptable.

Neil, there was a note, about 9 pages long left behind which he had wrote before dying. The whole content has not been publicized yet, but they have mentioned that he was forced to do what he did and wrote "you made me do this". So I think that he was forced, by the school basically, to commit suicide and hate the school. He was constantly bullied, maybe teased a loner, everyone would hate such an act upon yourself. However, I think that the kid did not manage his tempers or depression well, which led to such an act of terror.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Virginia Tech Massacre
« Reply #30 on: 18/04/2007 21:43:56 »
Clearly something was troubling him....Big Time !!....

He quite calculatedly shot and killed all those people and then himself.

He had every intention to do what he did. I wonder if somewhere there is written documented plans of his intentions.

Anyone who performs such a despicable atrocity in this fashion is over the edge and in need of severe treatment and should be removed from society.

If he had such a disturbing  portfolio then I remain astonished that things moved so slowly !...Alarm bells ring and nothing happened !!....but....it is a sad sad situation that these events are by no means isolated and yet they still do happen.......and it will happen again of course !...unless.....the facility to fine tune the process of recognising this behavior and acting upon it is improved.

I don't think he would have been susceptible to therapy at this stage. It should have been picked up years ago !....

I can not imagine and  ever hope to understand what makes a person do something like this but I suspect he must share certain characteristic traits that predisposes him to fail miserable at a ' normal  ' way of life and allows him to cross the line where performing the most anti-social of behaviour is acceptable.

Neil, there was a note, about 9 pages long left behind which he had wrote before dying. The whole content has not been publicized yet, but they have mentioned that he was forced to do what he did and wrote "you made me do this". So I think that he was forced, by the school basically, to commit suicide and hate the school. He was constantly bullied, maybe teased a loner, everyone would hate such an act upon yourself. However, I think that the kid did not manage his tempers or depression well, which led to such an act of terror.

Hi Sean..good to see ewe this evening .

Thanks for enlightening me with the documentation that he did leave.

it's very chilling to know the preparation he was doing.

he clearly was susceptible to some form of influence and yes,,,he certainly did not manage his depression...he effectively crossed the line and calmly set out to do what he did.....but it was HIM who did it.....he was not forced....though......he might say (if he was alive to tell us) that he was made to do it...though I suspect his saying  that we was forced may be metaphorical !....

The fact is.........he was Ill.....and he was just one of many who slip through the net until it's too late...

such a terrible terrible shame and loss !

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Virginia Tech Massacre
« Reply #31 on: 18/04/2007 21:47:58 »
Yep.. Even myself, I have to admit that he was a madman, mental and idiotic. He did not think of others, before doing the action. Also, the action he did, was far more than violence we see in the modern world.

Offline Ben6789

• View Profile
Virginia Tech Massacre
« Reply #32 on: 19/04/2007 16:07:55 »
Well the thoery that his g/f broke up with him is bogus, all he did was stalk the girl, not really go out with him.

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Virginia Tech Massacre
« Reply #33 on: 22/04/2007 01:09:55 »
Technically he stalked TWO girls.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Virginia Tech Massacre
« Reply #33 on: 22/04/2007 01:09:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums