The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Creator or chance?  (Read 3513 times)

Offline pavlovs dog

• First timers
    • View Profile
Creator or chance?
« on: 17/04/2007 22:25:06 »
Hi all,
People say that the Earth and all things living must have been created for us, otherwise there would be no point in having such a beautiful night sky or incredible mysteries of space. others would say that it is by pure chance that this planet was perfect for us and it just happened to be a damn nice place.
I'm trying to be neutral but i just believe that there are so many planets and stars out there, that it probably was by chance that this one planet(later known as Earth) became infested with things like us...

I'm also an atheist...yeh i know its boring but i like to keep all the windows open ya know.

From the dog himself ;D
...is that a bell?

another_someone

Creator or chance?
« Reply #1 on: 17/04/2007 22:35:53 »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that you behold the night sky as beautiful is not an absolute judgement.

The planet is by no means perfect for us, which is why we keep changing it (cutting down a forest here, planting a field there; or digging up a field and replacing it with a forest - as the fancy takes us).

Clearly, the Earth is not a bad place for us to live (as imperfect as it might be), otherwise we would not be alive on it (humans did not evolve on Venus because humans could not have evolved on Venus - there may be somewhere else in the universe where their is life, but that life will be adapted to that planet, not to Earth - because it could not have evolved successfully on any planet but the one it did).

Offline Ben6789

• And then there were none.
    • View Profile
Creator or chance?
« Reply #2 on: 30/04/2007 13:22:18 »
I believe that everything was created. It makes a lot more sense then the big bang.

or is it "than"?

another_someone

Creator or chance?
« Reply #3 on: 30/04/2007 14:28:13 »
I believe that everything was created. It makes a lot more sense then the big bang.

or is it "than"?

It is probably 'than' :) (unless you wanted to say that the big bang happened as a consequence of it making sense - but I don't believe that was your intent). :)

More seriously - the Big Bang is merely a theory about the origin of the universe itself, and is still in my view not something we can sensibly prove by experiment.

But the basic underlying issue is deeper than merely the question about whether the Big Bang is the right or the wrong answer - it is about whether the universe, including all the planets within it, are evolving, or in a simply created in its present form, and immutable.

If one accepts that the Earth is evolving, then it follows that the Earth we see today is only one instance of time within the evolution, being different in the past, and different again in the future.  In that respect, then the Earth is no more made for us today than it was made for the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, and for who knows what in 65 million years time.

Offline Ben6789

• And then there were none.
    • View Profile
Creator or chance?
« Reply #4 on: 30/04/2007 16:32:03 »
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh huh, very educational

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Creator or chance?
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2007 02:27:27 »
I say Chance a very very very very lucky chance, i believe life of any sort could be so rare that we could be alone in our galaxy.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Creator or chance?
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2007 02:27:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums