The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: New Idea!!  (Read 12197 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
New Idea!!
« Reply #50 on: 21/04/2007 16:50:24 »

The main reason they cut it down is for farmland and food anyway.

Who are they?

are they the poor people who use the rain forrest to live off, cultivate farm land and grow food? or the loggers who cut down trees for a living?

what food could you offer the loggers to stop what they are doing?

i find this whole topic offensive and racist, maybe i am letting my own personal feeling cloud my judgement on this issue. but it makes me so mad.

asside from my regular job i also occasionally work as a door man and had reason to evict some people who were being offensive to a coloured couple because of their skin colour and ethnicity...needless to say this became heated and more than reasonable force had to be used to evict those people.

maybe i am still raw at the things the coloured couple were subjected to, and this is coming out in my posts here.

so this will be my last word on the subject.

I think  you were right and that was what was frustrating me and why I stepped out ..I hope that he was not actually thinking that way as he did apologise after rethinking what he said.. but I do share your concern as to what it seemed to me also. It was frightening to hear one so young post comments about moving and uprooting people without regards to their rights feelings culture etc.. I do agree with you on this count which is why I stepped back after.. I needed to cool off also..

another_someone

New Idea!!
« Reply #51 on: 21/04/2007 20:36:45 »
Who are they?

are they the poor people who use the rain forrest to live off, cultivate farm land and grow food? or the loggers who cut down trees for a living?

what food could you offer the loggers to stop what they are doing?

The two are intertwined.

My understanding is that logging itself can be done in a way that limits the damage to the forest at large - they can select individual trees without curring down whole swathes of forest, and without denuding the forest.

The problem is that the loggers cut roads through the forest, and those roads give access to farmers who do cut down whole swathes of the forest to plant fields of crop.

i find this whole topic offensive and racist, maybe i am letting my own personal feeling cloud my judgement on this issue. but it makes me so mad.

Nobody has mentioned race as such.  There might be a matter of generalisation of a people - some of it an inevitable consequence that none of us have actual personal experience of the environment we are talking about.

The Naked Scientists Forum

New Idea!!
« Reply #51 on: 21/04/2007 20:36:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums