The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have you ever experienced Driving through a rainbow....?  (Read 67838 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Have you ever experienced Driving through a rainbow....?
« Reply #50 on: 09/05/2009 12:32:20 »
Yes it is cool!

Offline moonrider

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 02/06/2009 10:51:09 »
Well, I have one question, have you seen the Pot of Gold?LOL just kidding, if it is already ahead of you, then there's no way you can say that you are still IN the rainbow but, you can say that you are covered or you are below it.

Offline cinda

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 14/06/2009 22:32:07 »
Karen in the Redwoods USA-

We were on our way to Fort Bragg, to a campground near Glass Beach called "Green Acres".  We were taking the highway from Willits over to Fort Bragg when it happened.  Being familiar with area you can understand when I say how dark it can seem in the trees through that area because the Redwoods are so thick. And then how how as you are driving and an opening comes and you are blinded by the sun shining on the windshield.  We were traveling very slowing because there was a bike race or something going on. I remember how that 30 some-odd miles took way longer because of the cars on the side of the highway in places and all the bicycles.  For those who aren't familiar with that road, it is very curvy, up and down hills and solid Redwoods on both sides-oh yeah and 2 lanes, narrow.  Anyway, I know what we experienced too and remember how it changed the whole level of frustration we were feeling just before it happened to something very cool.  I also remember moving my arms and turning in the cab of the truck for an instant and seeing the colors on my arms and body and thinking how I felt bathed in light. Then it was over and we laughed.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 20/06/2009 21:38:16 »
I too have had this experience about forty years ago, it did not last long and I thought about looking for the proverbial pot of gold but as the road was narrow with nowhere to park I gave up on the idea.

Offline R.A.Vollrath

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 09/12/2009 02:34:00 »
I have driven through what looked like the end of a Rainbow. Is this topic still active?

Offline PrttyMstng

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 13/12/2009 04:12:21 »
 I have passed under a rainbow twice. The first time was when I was walking over a bridge with a friend back in 2001. The arc was visible at the NE corner of the bridge and the other side of the arc came to rest at what appeared to be 1/4 mile SW in the park. Once we walked under the rainbow we turned around and could see it from the other direction.
 The 2nd time happened today. I was flying this time. I watched as the plane approached the rainbow and knew we would be flying under the arc. As we began to descend and cirle the airport the rainbow was visible behind us.

Offline Paulene

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 16/10/2011 09:15:24 »
A couple of years ago, I drove through the end of a rainbow, too.  I told the story to some friends tonight and they didn't believe me.  So I looked it up to see if it was possible.  It was huge.  It was at the junction of the 405 and 101 freeway in Encino.  It was a huge rainbow I could see going north coming down the hill.  The end of the rainbow wasn't moving, it was just smack spanning the width of the 405, the embankment and part of the onramp to the 101 freeway, going west.  I thought, I'm going to drive right through the end of a rainbow!  I couldn't believe it.  I thought that it would disappear as I approached, but it didn't.  It sparkled many colors and golden, too, like a glittery shower all around me.  I slowed down to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing.  Like little prisms in droplets of water on the grass of the embankment and in the sky and road around me. It was one of the most thrilling things that has ever happened to me.  I read the incredulous and snarky responses to others who posted here their experiences, about "what it must have been, because it's impossible," but it happened to me, too.   And it looked just like some of these pictures but was way bigger and impossible to mistake.  And when I looked back, it was there behind me.  And I thought about the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  Certainly it was golden and beautiful.  And I feel very lucky to have experienced that.

So cue the x-files music if you like.  I like that music.   I couldn't believe it could happen--but it did..  And I don't care what the doubters say or what they think I must have seen.  They are just unlucky enough not to have experienced it.  But I hope you do.  this world is way more amazing to me every day!   And thanks for the posters who described it.  Right on target.  I'm glad I looked this up.  I don't usually tell about it because it sounds so fantastic, but reading the other's descriptions, I know I'm not the only one.  Thanks.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 16/10/2011 09:32:50 »
I don't believe it!  How on earth could you have missed the pot of gold?  I think you had a once in a lifetime experience and you MISSED THE GOLD!   I have even chased down rainbows in the hope of experiencing what you did, not even knowing if it was possible to do so.   :D

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever experienced Driving through a rainbow....?
« Reply #58 on: 06/02/2012 11:50:00 »
Thank you to all of the contributors to this amazing experience. We forgot to add that our car was illuminated and we could see the colours inside the car and on people walking around who where equally amazed judging by their expressions. Paulene your descriptions  reflect perfectly our experience. Airthumbs I hope you too experience this.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 06/05/2012 17:24:28 »
I AM VERY ENCOURAGED ABOUT ALL THERESPONSES AND GREATFUL ALSO FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE THE SCIENTIFIC ASPECT..BUT AS FOR ME...I HAVE FOUND SCIENCE FASCINATING AND YET NOT ALWAYS FULL PROOF OR FLAWLESS AND I HAVE ALSO SEEN PROVEN THEROIES USED FOR YEARS AS TRUE AND CORRECT JUST TO FIND OUT YEARS LATER THAT THE WHOLE THEORY MAY HAVE WORKED IN FAVOR OUTCOMES IN REPEATED TESTS, ETC... BUT TURN OUT TO BE WRONG AND NEW THEROIES  REAPPLIED WITH NEW RESULTS..AND I THINK THAT SOMETHING LIKE THAT WILL BE TRUE IN THESE CASES..
THANK YOU GUYS FOR PARTICIPATING..MAKE SURE YOU CARRY A SHOVEL...LOL...

Offline ohinever

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 24/03/2014 12:00:40 »
Sorry to re-activate this thread but exactly this happened to me yesterday.

I was driving eastward along the a303 in England yesterday afternoon when I noticed a double rainbow. "Very pretty" I thought. After turning a bend it seemed that the rainbows were emanating from opposite sides of the road, so that I was driving into them, which in itself was pretty amazing.

I then turned another bend and to my absolute shock could see the end of the rainbow, up ahead just to the left of the road. As I got near, the end of the rainbow became part of the road itself. I was aware of passing through colours, but sadly quickly as I was travelling 70 m.p.h. at the time. What I also noticed once I had seemingly passed through, was that a beam of rainbow colour seemed to be arcing into the front of the car.

The whole experience only lasted 5-6 seconds in total, and typically and sadly I was alone so could not photograph any of this.

I know there must be a rational explanation - I am a medical doctor so not prone to magical thinking, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a magical experience.

I am actually still smiling now writing this.

I've been through the end of a rainbow!!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 24/03/2014 20:11:32 »
... to my absolute shock could see the end of the rainbow ...
... I know there must be a rational explanation ...

Something that looked like a rainbow , but created by diffraction rather than dispersion , see ...
  http://www.atoptics.co.uk/rainbows/notabow.htm
« Last Edit: 24/03/2014 20:21:49 by RD »

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
« Reply #62 on: 05/04/2014 11:00:44 »
I can't say exactly what it was that you experienced but it's not possible for someone to actually be inside a rainbow because they don't have a particular location but only exist according to an observer, whether the observer is a camera or you eye.

After I read this more carefully I'll try to figure out exactly what it was you saw.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 05/04/2014 13:10:02 »
I had a similar rainbow experience. I was driving along and saw a very bright rainbow, smaller than usual, and as I approached it, it appeared to begin and end in this one field. I stopped my car and got out. As I got closer it became more of a ring shape, beginning and ending not far from my feet.

I posted the above in a similar thread: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=18551.msg423468#msg423468

Dlorde offered this explanation which I thought made sense:

"To drive or walk through a 'rainbow' effect, there has to be spray in the immediate vicinity to locally refract the light and maintain the image until you pass the edge of the cone of visibility. As others have said, it's a virtual image."

Offline Peter Steadman

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 11/04/2014 22:35:47 »
Once upon a time I crashed into a rainbow. I got out to get its insurance details, but it just vanished in to less moist, thin air. Its going to have a smaller pot of gold once claims direct do what they do. My car was a total write off, and all I got for it in the end was a hand full of magic beans. Lucky, I was able to swap them with this guy for a cow. It sadly died though, turns out they can only go up stairs. I now have a Bovinae corpus in my bathroom thanks to this rainbow. It smells a bit, but it is fun to poke with sticks.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 12/04/2014 09:44:36 »
lol...lol...Like poking fun at my thread! lol..Funny thing is I have been given the scientific information about how a rainbow comes to be, and also that there is no end..but none of the explanations explain how the striped color from the rainbow, was shining on my van as I drove through the rainbows end! My eyesight was good and I was not then, nor am I now a nut job...lol. I truely am, still amazed, and I will never forget it! However I would like a more scientific answer then, "you were seeing things" because rainbows don't work like that! How about I really DID see it, drive thru it, So what phenomonen may have occurred out of the ordinary which could have caused our refraction of light to actually  change the outcome of the rainbows end and also allow us to see the colors on the car! Also the rainbow's color coming down in front of the bushes and on the road as I passed through it at the end.. Further more the second rainbow appeared as soon as I drove out of the color bands, and could be seen at a distance over the mountain ahead...? Scientific evidence explain that please...don't want to hear  how it was all in my head when it absolutely was not!
Your story is cute...but I wont poke sticks at it....lol...
« Last Edit: 12/04/2014 09:58:06 by Karen W. »

Offline Peter Steadman

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 12/04/2014 12:16:37 »
I've walked through a rainbow created by spray from a waterfall, I perceived it to be all around me. Though, technically it was a waterfall-spraybow, lol. I do believe you!! The light is refracted by water droplets the same as light in a prism. I can walk through a prism-bow, there for, I can walk through any source of refracted light, as long as the conditions are right. In a crazy way reality is virtual, we see photons aka energy, that has bounced off matter, another kind of energy. The photons hit are cones and rods where transduction occurs. The discrimination threshold of our sight interprets the matter to be solid, even though it's mostly empty space.

Just out of curiosity, was it bellow freezing that day, or near 12:00?
« Last Edit: 12/04/2014 12:18:50 by Peter Steadman »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 15/08/2014 20:34:49 »
I missed this is....The time was actually closer to 6:15pm and it had been guite cold to the point of hailing before the rain down pour...it was then clear and the water was gone from the road but I was on my way home from work in the evening..and I was excited because the rainbow was about 6
minutes drive from work, to where it came down on the road by my home! about 30 ft left of the river bank, with river willow trees, bushes, and wild sweet peas .... in between river and rainbows end...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #67 on: 15/08/2014 20:34:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums