The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Smelly Pits  (Read 13347 times)

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Smelly Pits
« Reply #25 on: 18/04/2004 22:54:20 »
I do walk around flapping my arms all the time!  Nothing seems to help!  :D

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18/04/2004 23:15:41 »
Face it John...you're just gonna havee to do what the girlies do and shave your pits !!..it might work, they'll be less insulation for nasty smelly stuff !!

'Men are the same as women...just inside out !'

Offline Big_Jules

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16/04/2004 01:40:44 »
A switch from Salmonella and eggs to smelly pits...but it's still alot to do with bugs...

The generation of odour in the armpits, like other parts of the body, such as feet, is an exercise in microbial ecology. Basically, bacteria can colonise the area, break down substances produced in that area by your body and make smelly chemicals. The types of bugs, the substances you produce, and the activity of the bugs on those substances dictate just how smelly you get. I remember some years ago, seeing some pictures from a study using the electron microscop, showing smell-generating bugs attached to the hairs in armpits (not suggesting definitively though that hairy pits generate more odour, but the bugs do have more to hold on to...).

What about the deodorant angle? Not 100% about this, but an educated, ecological guess suggests that deodorant might have a 'cleansing' effect on the microbial flora of the 'pit. By clearing out most of the flora while active, then wearing off, perhaps the primary colonisers, the first bugs to come back, might be string odour makers. Just a thought, but I can see a VERY intersting project in this...

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16/04/2004 02:39:07 »
The project might be interesting, but the testing would be h*ll.

Last year my son had a pair of sandals that he wore all the time and by the end of the summer, they smelled so bad I wouldn't let him ride in my car with them on (they got to ride in the trunk).  His feet didn't smell too bad without them, and not at all if I could get him to take a shower.  I took pleasure in finally throwing the sandals away!  I've heard of that with shoes, but not sandals.

----

Offline Big_Jules

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16/04/2004 02:47:07 »
Tweener, I hate to admit it, but I'm wearing sandals and they do smell. Basically, it's the same issue as with 'pits. This prompts me to add that many of the 'smelly bugs' do better, both in terms of growth and smell production when there is a lack of oxygen. So, if wearing something that allows feet to 'breathe' better, then the generation of smell is likely (STRESS likely) to be less. With sandals, even though they are mostly open, the base of the foot is in contact with a material that may not breathe. It might also be that the material of construction of footwear more or less supports the development of a 'film' of bugs on the sandal (for example) and also more or less retains odour chemicals.

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #30 on: 16/04/2004 04:48:27 »
I think the thing with sandals is that one (normally) doesn't wear socks with them so there is nothing to wick the moisture away from the foot.

Lift your skinny fists, like antennas to hevan!

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 17/04/2004 03:18:13 »
The sandals certainly had a lot of exposure to bugs.  He's always out crawling around the creek and in the woods.

Back to deoderants, I have always had a problem with deoderants making it feel like it is trying to pull all my pit hairs out.  Hurts something awful.  This week I finally went to the health food store and found some "all natural" deoderant that (so far) doesn't hurt.  I don't think it works worth a darn, but at least I'm trying.

----

Offline MayoFlyFarmer

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/wiguyinmn
« Reply #32 on: 17/04/2004 09:03:36 »
Speed Stick!! I don't mean to product endorse here, but seeing as I have no sake in their success it's not too bad.  If you get the Speed Stick deotorant (not anti-persperant)  its soft enough to glide on w/o ripping your pit hair out, but doesn't gooop up like the gel stuff does.  Wow, never thought I'd be writing about this in here!

Lift your skinny fists, like antennas to hevan!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18/04/2004 03:08:57 »
As for your smelly shoes and sandals, bag 'em and throw them in the freezer overnight.  In the morning they'll smell peachy.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18/04/2004 04:17:17 »
It's not the putting it on that bothers me, it's later in the day.  There doesn't appear to be anything globbed up, but each hair seems to hurt.  I've tried Speed Stick with the same result.  Tom's of Maine seems to be working out pretty well.  It doesn't seem to work through 45 minutes of speed sprints on my bicycle, but that's OK, I don't have to smell good after that.

----

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18/04/2004 16:46:25 »
Hello....!!..There are odour eaters for feet yep ?..good !!..what about odour eaters for arm pits ?...or you could just walk about flapping your arms all the time..... or how about an invention where you have those little fans somehow attached to your arm pits ?...actually, I bet there has already been one invented by those crazy japanese guys who invent all thise silly inventions !!

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18/04/2004 22:54:20 »
I do walk around flapping my arms all the time!  Nothing seems to help!  :D

----

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18/04/2004 23:15:41 »
Face it John...you're just gonna havee to do what the girlies do and shave your pits !!..it might work, they'll be less insulation for nasty smelly stuff !!

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20/04/2004 02:52:10 »
All kidding aside, I think I'm having some kind of reaction to something in the deodorant.  After it has been on a while, my pits get very irritated.  I don't think shaving would help.  The natural stuff is working for me and maybe lowering my overall partial vapor pressure by a few kPa.

----

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #38 on: 20/04/2004 02:52:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums