Good or bad?

Good idea
4 (66.7%)
Bad idea
1 (16.7%)
how cares? tastes good!
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Genetically engingeered food  (Read 5112 times)

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Genetically engingeered food
« on: 24/04/2007 16:36:21 »
yea im going with who cares tastes good!  ;D

Offline Ben6789

• And then there were none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24/04/2007 16:37:40 »
Anyway, i think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages here.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/04/2007 16:38:48 »
but if ur allergic to 1 thing and u eat another thing that has its genes wat will happen

Offline Ben6789

• And then there were none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/04/2007 16:40:11 »
i think that one gene won't set it off..depends how sensative you are.

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 24/04/2007 16:52:37 »
There were cases where nut allergies were transferred by genetic engineered products that contained genes from nuts.  This was caught during tests, so never actually happened in the field, but it does show that it can happen.

I think GM is a very powerful technology, but anything powerful also carries powerful risks, and we need to have good regulation to manage those risks, but unfortunately we don't yet fully understand the risks, and maybe wont understand them fully until the first major disaster happens.

The other problem with GM is the legal issue, that you are patenting life forms - this has not really properly been explored, and in some countries, is outside their existing patent law (I believe that India forbids the patenting of living organsism - what next - the patenting of human beings?).

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #5 on: 24/04/2007 19:42:17 »
I distrust it and if I can avoid it, will.

Someone first needs to convince me that what advantage it is, other than profit to the Licence holders and shareholders.

They are already patenting software which is a mathematical code, any discoveries and alterations to DNA I'm sure will follow.

Bee

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24/04/2007 19:58:17 »
"There were cases where nut allergies were transferred by genetic engineered products that contained genes from nuts.  This was caught during tests, so never actually happened in the field, but it does show that it can happen."
New varieties produced by conventional breeding sometimes throw out oddities like this. Unlike GM there is no requirement to check (apart from the risk of getting sued)
Is GM such a bad thing?
For many things the only way for the License holders to make a profit is to sell lots of product. They will only do that if there is some sort of benefit to the producer or consumer.
For the most part, a benefit to the producer will also give a benfit to the consumer in terms of lower prices.

Offline that mad man

• View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #7 on: 24/04/2007 20:17:15 »
GM may not be a bad thing, I just question why its necessary as food is too cheap and plentiful already IMHO.

The growers also will always be reliant on the GM supplier for the seeds so there is a monopoly aspect to it.

Bee

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24/04/2007 20:39:59 »
I need an ' undecided ' option !...I can see the pluses and minuses of GM food and I ask tell myself that we are saturated with ' E ' numbers and additives and various radiations/germs/bacteria etc etc all through our lives anyway...so...what difference does Gm really do !! ?  in the grand scale of things ?

Offline Seany

• Neilep Level Member
  • Live your life to the full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24/04/2007 20:52:47 »
I said "Good Idea".

Carrots used to be purple. Genetically changed it so that it's more appealing to our eyes.

another_someone

« Reply #10 on: 24/04/2007 21:16:06 »
I said "Good Idea".

Carrots used to be purple. Genetically changed it so that it's more appealing to our eyes.

The problem is the confusion between traditional 'genetic engineering', which breeders have long practiced, but never patented; and direct genetic modification which we now regard as 'genetic engineering', which is far more powerful than the traditional methods (as a nuclear bomb is more powerful than a bomb containing gunpowder, but they are both explosive devices).

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25/04/2007 17:59:27 »
im dont htink im to up for it any more...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 25/04/2007 17:59:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums