The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Potatoe ' Eyes' ...what are they...and why do I not see them on small potatoes ?  (Read 6544 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Well, I think Managed the whole of the question in the subject title..so..being the lazy git that I am I will now copy and paste it right here...

Potatoe ' Eyes' ...what are they...and why do I not see them on small potatoes ?

another_someone

Potato eyes, as far as I know, are simply the beginnings of a new root or shoot from the potato.  I would imagine that small potatoes are often just too immature to start growing roots or shoots.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
 Sometimes they will if exposed to the light! LOL Then you can plant them after cutting them into quarters or so each section having two or more eyes . This way you can plant each chunk with eyes attached and voila.. a beautiful potato plant!...

The eyes are the roots and the way buy which potatos multiply!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Take a bag of potatos and allow them to set in the dark in a cubboard for a long time without eating them when they form many eyes, divide them leaving the eyes in tact and plant them in the ground, eye end pointed up!!! They will shoot out new potato plants. Make sure your eyes, (meaning the potatos eyes..) are pointed outward or up, preferably up! They will make cool plants and are good as we all know!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Potato eyes, as far as I know, are simply the beginnings of a new root or shoot from the potato.  I would imagine that small potatoes are often just too immature to start growing roots or shoots.

THANKS GEORGE !

This is me being naive then but I thought potaoes like New Potatoes and Salad potatoes were in fact fully grown small spuds !!..are you sure this is not true ?...it is these spuds in particular where I see no eyes (no pun intended)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Take a bag of potatos and allow them to set in the dark in a cubboard for a long time without eating them when they form many eyes, divide them leaving the eyes in tact and plant them in the ground, eye end pointed up!!! They will shoot out new potato plants. Make sure your eyes, (meaning the potatos eyes..) are pointed outward or up, preferably up! They will make cool plants and are good as we all know!

Cool ..THANKS KAREN...ewe know well good potato stuff !!...THANKS AGAIN...I might actually do the experiment thing !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Good plant several!!! Your welcome!!!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length